BBO Discussion Forums: Investigation on the feasibility of team match - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Investigation on the feasibility of team match

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-13, 11:01

Hello everyone :

I intend to set up a regular TM at BBO for everyone,especially for the full members of BBF with intermediate ,advanced or expert skill.I don't know whether it can succeed, but I am willing to try, so here we will discuss on the feasibility of this matter.
Here play-mode suggested :

1- All the players must obey the rules of BBO,in simple terms,Be nice to others is of importance.

1)- While you would like to join our team match to which players of a certain level have been invited ,please maintain a pleasant atmosphere.
2)- The only acceptable time to ask for an undo is when you have misclicked. If you make a poor bid or play or for any other reason, it is inappropriate to ask for an undo.

2- Players apply for the team match only at BBF,and announce the result of the team match,including discussions after TM.
While a team captain sign his teammates ( including sub )up for TM,he would better specify the overall average skill of his team on the basic membership profile, honestly and politely.But I think that the world class skill don't be claimed because all of us know who is,who isn't.

3- Every time 21-28 boards to play ,never less than 18 boards.I highly recommend style of JEC match with 28 boards for every day.

4- TM time :
Pardon,we can play TM only in the evening.
Beijing time (GMT +8) is from 20.10 to 24.00 for our chinese players.

The above are our commitments.

5- Prize :
I need BBO help,but I think it is best to afford 1 BB$ to winners as symbolic prize for fun weekly or monthly --at that time only, not every day.

6- Registration form suggested at BBF:

Team name :
Team captain :
Teammates list :
Basic membership profile :It include overall average skill, bidding system,lead, signals and discarding etc .
Nationality :optional
Team match time :

What else?

TD : ilovebbo (China Bridge Club manager,it can now start 5 team matches at a time. )

Thank you very much.
Best Regard

lycier

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-13, 11:10

If you want any of hope of this succeeding, drop the BS about skill levels that always derails everything.

#3 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2013-June-13, 11:30

Full teams would be rather difficult...it rarely happens for BBF vs. JEC. Allow singles/pairs and this should work fine.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-June-13, 12:55

We tried running a BBF League last year. It didn't last very long.

http://www.bridgebas...-league-scores/

#5 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-13, 13:57

Finding 8 random people for 28 board matches seems extremely difficult to me. Finding times to coordinate a series of 28 board matches for a group of teams across some time period seems impossible.

Good luck OP! If you find yourself one player short for your matches, please resist the urge to recruit star players. None is interested, thanks!
OK
bed

#6 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-13, 22:21

Prize problem:
my members suggest that BBO can grant the winners BBO master points .

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-14, 20:03

sounds like a great idea that i hope succeeds----maybe the forum posters will
realize the others arent as horrible players as they seem to think and this in
turn may generate more interest in playing JEC matches---please note we have
upcoming matches 6/22 and 6/29 for which there is still little interest:))))))))))

#8 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-23, 06:56

I think allowing partnerships to choose their "skill level" is a good thing - they are showing the skill level where they would like to play.

If they are not up to that level they may well keep getting hammered. They will then either improve their game or find an easier game. They should expect to come up against more skilled players and potentially more complex conventions and bidding systems, and they know that when they enter an "advanced" field.

It is only when someone is advertising themselves as a "pick-up" partner that you want to know their real level.

If you organise it all as "swiss" style teams tournaments the better teams will end up playing each other soon enough anyway. If you are building teams through different partnerships, it may hurt one partnership if their team-mates turn out to be of a poorer standard than they had advertised themselves, so I guess it may be possible at a later stage for people to change their team-mates.

You may also find players wanting to play in one-off or experimental partnerships, or playing an experimental bidding system where they may do badly on a few hands when they have one or two disasters.
You can't keep a good man down

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users