• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-10, 04:37

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-10, 06:54

What does partner's double mean?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-10, 07:01

Edit:

Let's say it showed a good hand that doesn't want to bid. I'm also interested in how you would play it by choice.

#4 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-June-10, 08:42

Playing a weak nt, this would basically be a strong NT with at most xx in spades for me. If we play strong Nt, it would show approximate the same strength but with shorter spades.... Obviously partner does not hold a two suiter either, but 1354 is possible.

So, if our NT had been strong, 1354 seems like the motst likely shape. If he holds something like x,Axx,AQxxx,KQJx we are cold for slam (without a second round ruff) and will earn 300 if we defend 4 ...

I bid 5 . If I would be certain, what 4 NT would show, I would choose it, but now...
Yes I will miss some good slams, but If partners hearts are a little stronger and his clubs or diamonds a little weaker...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-June-10, 08:56

View PostMickyB, on 2013-June-10, 04:37, said:

IMO Pass = 10, 4 = 9, 4N (scramble) = 8, 5 = 7. 5 = 6.
Partner's double shows extra values but is usually penalty oriented e.g.
x Q J x x A Q J x x K Q x
Opponents have presented you with a nasty guess but, at this vulnerability, they aren't to be trusted. You've shown game-invitational values with 5+ and you've got roughly what you promised. Your sixth , support, and void are all worrying but aces and kings bode well for defence.

As MickyB implies, the case for bidding is stronger if you're confident that you would then reach the right strain at the right level,

#6 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-10, 10:43

I play we are not in a force so X is just some kind of good hand without 3 spades.

I'm going to start with 4N and raise partner's minor choice to slam. Might be too high but they have jammed us and this looks percentage to me.

#7 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-10, 18:48

I felt 4N was right too. Vs us, this hand bid 4S; The hand opposite was x Axx AQJxx AQ97 and found a 5C bid, raised to 6C, making 13 tricks with KJxx club onside.

At the other table, the hand in the OP bid 5H, hoping this was pick-a-slam showing a 1st round heart control along the way. Opener picked 7C, so we gained a rather fortunate swing.

#8 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-June-11, 07:17

Once again Im not willing to force to slam if i can avoid it, and I think that 4Nt--5C--5D should be to play and direct 5D should be slammish. Note that 4nt-5C-5D cannot suggest D or S since with those hand i would just bid 4S.

Here however it depend if opener can have 5C+4D ? If not i dont mind playing 5D/6D instead of 5C/6C that much since im ruffing with short trumps.

Maybe a halfway solution is to bid 4NT and raise 5C to 6C but to pass 5D, but i dont really like it. Ill all depend on how much H wastage got so to give him the option is surely best.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-11, 07:30

I don't think we should be very keen to play this hand in our 10xxx. If partner has someting like Qx xx AQJxx AJxx, 6 will be rather better than 6. If we're going to drive slam, how about 4NT then 5NT, to keep diamonds in the game?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-11, 22:31

I don't quite like slam, we are one entry sort after a heart lead to score the spades playing in diamonds, playing in clubs we have awful trumps to cope with... Its a very hard one. I am thinking 4NT to raise 5 and pass 5 could be a good tactic.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users