Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clubs in New York

#1 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-05, 13:20

I'm about to go to New York for ten days, and might have an opportunity to play bridge. Which clubs are reasonably high standard where I can go without a partner? Which days are best?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-07, 00:05

Manhattan, Honors and the Cavendish are the main 3 clubs in the city. Honors has the most pros (probably the best club game competition anywhere, certainly in USA), if you want to play vs the pros then sit E-W. However, I'm not sure how likely you are to find a partner if you don't have one, I'd recommend just calling ahead of time. I would guess that the manhattan or the cavendish would be better/more helpful if you have no partner (but still call ahead of time). The cavendish will have a higher standard of play than Manhattan but it will be kinda mixed.

Also just FYI the clubs in manhattan charge more for entry than the US national events do lol, just saying that since some people are shocked. It was $25/session per person at honors when I left NY it might be higher now, and 22/session at the cavendish, compared to like $7/session in most places in the country.

As far as what days are best, pretty much any weekday afternoon game is good I think.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-07, 03:16

If you can't afford to pay 25 bucks for an afternoon of bridge you can't afford to live in New York City. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users