• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fit after NT overcall

#1 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-29, 11:02

So, three times in this past week (once with the robots), I have had 6-7ish high after 1x-1NT, with at least an 8-card fit. Not enough to double, but what should I think about (if anything) viz. raising vs passing? I've always been a strong believer in "show your fits", but with the points and the trumps stacked against us...

The three results were 2+1, 2-1 (still a decent score, but I guess -100 would have been less so), and 2-4. The last one (oddly enough, that was the +140) twigged me to think about this in general.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#2 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-29, 13:03

In general, you don't want to let the opponents play in 1NT when you know you have a fit your way. I think you need to be a bit more cautious about rasing when you hold only low cards in the trump suit as the trump finesses do not rate to work.

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-30, 03:06

The 1NT overcall may mean that the cards are badly placed for our side, but it also makes the hand easier to play if we're declaring, because we'll know where the high cards are. The overcaller may give a trick on the lead, or he may be endplayable later.

In 1NT, on the other hand, it will be hard to get the defence right, because partner won't know where your high cards are.

Before you heard the 1NT overcall, you were expecting to make about eight tricks in your trump suit. Even if that expectation has reduced to seven (an overestimate), it will still usually be right to bid.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-May-30, 03:24

I think you underestimated your overestimation, gnasher. When you raise 1M to 2M, usually you don't go down, so your expectation is well above 8 tricks. The expectation does go down but it still stays close to or above 8, I would think. So it is definitely right to bid 2M.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-30, 04:26

I think it's right to show partner your fit before it is too late. He may be able to compete to the three-level if LHO bids over your raise.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users