• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Self-Awareness Was there damage?

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-24, 16:11

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-May-24, 14:24, said:

When I first started a local expert told my pard that if it goes 2nt p - p to you, you should double blind so I blame East.

That's one of those things that everyone talks about (2NT with a broke partner is a very difficult contract). But no one actually does it, because the obvious countermeasure is for responder to make psychic passes with good hands, knowing that they're going to be doubled.

#22 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-24, 16:51

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-May-24, 14:24, said:

When I first started a local expert told my pard that if it goes 2nt p - p to you, you should double blind so I blame East. But if given proper information before the play can East not retract their last pass? If South didn't fess up in time to allow that opportunity he is going to jail.

South did correct the failure to alert before the opening lead, but East did not call the director, as he was unaware that he could take back his Pass. I learn that this breach of 9b1(a) was one reason the TD did not adjust the score, and I think I agree with him, despite the claims that he should be reprogrammed.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-24, 16:59

View Postlamford, on 2013-May-24, 16:51, said:

South did correct the failure to alert before the opening lead, but East did not call the director, as he was unaware that he could take back his Pass. I learn that this breach of 9b1(a) was one reason the TD did not adjust the score, and I think I agree with him, despite the claims that he should be reprogrammed.

And what, pray tell, of South's breach of Law 20F5{b}? 9B1{a} says the director "should" be called. 20F5{b} says the director "must" be called. Seems to me the latter is the more serious offense.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-May-24, 17:10

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-May-24, 16:59, said:

And what, pray tell, of South's breach of Law 20F5{b}? 9B1{a} says the director "should" be called. 20F5{b} says the director "must" be called. Seems to me the latter is the more serious offense.

The relevant Law states:
5. (a) A player whose partner has given a mistaken explanation may not correct the error during the auction, nor may he indicate in any
manner that a mistake has been made. ‘Mistaken explanation’ here includes failure to alert or announce as regulations require or an
alert (or an announcement) that regulations do not require.

(b) The player must call the Director and inform his opponents that, in his opinion, his partner’s explanation was erroneous (see Law 75)
but only at his first legal opportunity, which is:
(i) for a defender, at the end of the play.
(ii) for declarer or dummy, after the final pass of the auction.

So, the requirement for declarer to call the director only applies when his partner's explanation was erroneous. No explanation was given.
Where there is a failure to alert, that is indeed a mistaken explanation for the purpose of 20F5(a) but it says "here", and does not say "here and in 20F(b)". That is wrong; even leaving out the "here" would be fine! As written, the declarer only has an obligation to correct an erroneous explanation, and I would not punish a declarer who read this Law as written. Law 75 only gives by way of example mistaken explanation, so that does not correct the wrong wording.

#25 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-May-24, 17:19

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-May-24, 17:11, said:

As they say in Prime Minister's question time in the UK. "I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave some moments ago."

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-May-24, 17:37

yeah, there seems to be something weird going on with the forums today.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-May-24, 17:42

I disagree with your interpretation of Law 20F5. I think focusing on the word 'here' as an excuse for your interpretation is - what's the word you guys use? - oh, yeah. "Daft".
--------------------

#28 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-May-24, 17:45

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-May-24, 17:42, said:

I disagree with your interpretation of Law 20F5. I think focusing on the word 'here' as an excuse for your interpretation is - what's the word you guys use? - oh, yeah. "Daft".

Then why was it included, other than to indicate "in this place only"? If there were a clause which said that "TDs here include scorers, caddies and administrators" then it would be daft to think that these were surrogate TDs in all cases. But I know what the intention of the Law is, and I guess that there are so many errors we just have to interpret them all as they should read.

But more importantly, failing to call the director is normally rectified by not giving redress. Often I say after the auction something like "partner should have alerted 2D, which was fourth-suit, game forcing". The opponents then decide whether they want the director, and this is accepted practice in pretty much every event I have ever played in.

In this example, South volunteered a correction, and East should have called the director if he wanted to change his Pass. If he didn't, calling the director would have been "wasting police time".

#29 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-May-24, 23:24

View Postlamford, on 2013-May-24, 17:45, said:

But more importantly, failing to call the director is normally rectified by not giving redress. Often I say after the auction something like "partner should have alerted 2D, which was fourth-suit, game forcing". The opponents then decide whether they want the director, and this is accepted practice in pretty much every event I have ever played in.

So we do what the law says, except when enough of us don't feel like it? I'll use the word again - that's daft.

David has frequently remonstrated me about "accepted practice", and I suppose I go along with it where the law is unclear, but where "accepted practice" is clearly outside the law, as here, I don't. Certainly not where the offending side has failed to do what it "must" do, the non-offending side has failed to do what it "should" do, and "accepted practice" is to hammer the non-offending side.

As for "wasting police time", the "police" have no such complaint when the law requires that they be called.
--------------------

#30 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-25, 02:44

View Postlamford, on 2013-May-24, 17:10, said:

The relevant Law states:
5. (a) A player whose partner has given a mistaken explanation may not correct the error during the auction, nor may he indicate in any
manner that a mistake has been made. ‘Mistaken explanation’ here includes failure to alert or announce as regulations require or an

(b) The player must call the Director and inform his opponents that, in his opinion, his partner’s explanation was erroneous (see Law 75)

So, the requirement for declarer to call the director only applies when his partner's explanation was erroneous. No explanation was given.
Where there is a failure to alert, that is indeed a mistaken explanation for the purpose of 20F5(a) but it says "here", and does not say "here and in 20F(b)". That is wrong; even leaving out the "here" would be fine! As written, the declarer only has an obligation to correct an erroneous explanation, and I would not punish a declarer who read this Law as written. Law 75 only gives by way of example mistaken explanation, so that does not correct the wrong wording.

The word "here" specifies a location, not the size of the location. If I say that I am "here", I could mean "on this chair", "in the living room", "in my house", "in the street/city/region/province/continent/planet/galaxy".

You interpret "here" to mean "in 20F5a". There is no basis for that interpretation. You could interpret "here" as in:
  • the word "here" only
  • the sentence containing the word "here"
  • Law 20F5a
  • Law 20F5
  • Law 20F
  • All laws governing misinformation
  • All laws
  • The entire lawbook
  • The entire lawbook and all regulations
  • All bridge terminology
  • The English language

The last two are a bit difficult, since the WBFLC has no jurisdiction there, but perhaps the WBFLC wants to have jurisdiction there. (It wouldn't be the first time that someone tries to regulatte something that he doesn't have jurisdiction over.)

But, in short, there is no reason why your interpretation (number 3, in blue) would be the correct one. In theory, all 11 (or more) would be possible. The way to deal with this is to think: "what could have been intended?" As you say yourself, the WBFLC probably intended some number >3. Then by all means interpret it as intended.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#31 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-25, 03:22

But more importantly, failing to call the director is normally rectified by not giving redress.

Not where I live.

While it is true that there won't be any redress if the TD is not called at all (how can a TD rectify anything if he is not aware that something might need to be rectified?), if the TD is called late we try to fix the problem as good as possible. I can imagine situations where there is no redress for the NOS when there would have been redress if they would have called the TD immediately, but I would not call that "normal".

The "rectification" for calling the TD late is "normally" having to listen to a grumpy TD.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#32 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-25, 04:37

20F5b is simply what is supposed to happen after 205Fa has (hopefully) been executed. It is the next step in the same situation, which is identified in 20F5a. If you are feeling bloody-minded you can interpret 20F5b to be dictating the form of words used, i.e. that the player must explain that "partner's explanation was erroneous" rather than the more specific "partner failed to alert", even if the latter was what strictly happened; it doesn't remove the obligation to call the director after a failure to alert.

I agree that in practice the director sometimes might not be called, but when this happens IMO the onus is on the offending side to be sure that the NOS are aware of the implications (including L11) and an inexperienced NOS may still be entitled to rectification.

#33 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-May-25, 06:17

The relevant Law states:

I am stunned by this and some of the following comments.

The word "here" (put in red by me) simply makes the quoted words "'Mistaken explanation'" (also put in red by me) explicitly referring back to the words "Mistaken explanation" in the previous line. (Put in blue by me).

Nobody should need a PhD to understand that?

And as c_corgi wrote: 20F5b is simply what is supposed to happen after 205Fa has (hopefully) been executed.

#34 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-May-25, 06:44

View Postpran, on 2013-May-25, 06:17, said:

The word "here" (put in red by me) simply makes the quoted words "'Mistaken explanation'" (also put in red by me) explicitly referring back to the words "Mistaken explanation" in the previous line. (Put in blue by me).

I agree entirely. Therefore all we know is that a player may not correct a failure to alert during the auction. It is left understood that he must correct it at the end of the auction.

The following clause indicates when he must call the director. It makes not mention of when there has been a failure to alert. Therefore, when there is a failure to alert, he must not correct it during the auction, but must correct it afterwards. However, there is no obligation to call the director unless there has been an incorrect explanation.

I am surprised that so many people are trying to defend the indefensible. It is just another example of an error in the Laws, about the hundredth such. And I am not advocating not calling the TD over a failure to alert, as this is what the Law should say.

#35 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-25, 07:52

The point is that, taken on its own, Law 20F5b makes no sense. "The player must ..."; what player? The only way to interpret it in order for it to mean anything is as shorthand for "When 20F5a applies, the player in question must ...". And we are all (I hope) clear that 20F5a applies when partner fails to alert.

#36 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-May-27, 03:24

View Postcampboy, on 2013-May-25, 07:52, said:

The point is that, taken on its own, Law 20F5b makes no sense. "The player must ..."; what player? The only way to interpret it in order for it to mean anything is as shorthand for "When 20F5a applies, the player in question must ...". And we are all (I hope) clear that 20F5a applies when partner fails to alert.

That is not the case. The player in question is one whose partner has given an incorrect explanation. A subset of all players whose partners have given an incorrect explanation or incorrectly alerted or failed to alert.

If a clause said: "The dog-owner must obtain a certificate from the police if they acquire a Rotweiler", it would be clear which dog-owners were being specified.

On a more practical level, I called the TD when my partner failed to alert a pass over a double of a transfer over 1NT this weekend, as it showed two cards. The TD gave me a withering look and said "I am sure that your opponents would expect that". So, it is not illogical that you call the TD only when there is an incorrect explanation. Telling the opponents of a failure to alert is not only the practical approach but also as the law states.

#37 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-27, 04:09

View Postlamford, on 2013-May-27, 03:24, said:

That is not the case. The player in question is one whose partner has given an incorrect explanation. A subset of all players whose partners have given an incorrect explanation or incorrectly alerted or failed to alert.

If a clause said: "The dog-owner must obtain a certificate from the police if they acquire a Rotweiler", it would be clear which dog-owners were being specified.

On a more practical level, I called the TD when my partner failed to alert a pass over a double of a transfer over 1NT this weekend, as it showed two cards. The TD gave me a withering look and said "I am sure that your opponents would expect that". So, it is not illogical that you call the TD only when there is an incorrect explanation. Telling the opponents of a failure to alert is not only the practical approach but also as the law states.

I don't understand where you get that from. Law 20F5b does not specify what player it is talking about in any way. The player is only specified in 20F5a.

I think you are reading too much into the fact that 20F5a says "'Mistaken explanation' here includes" rather than "'Mistaken explanation' here and in 20F5b includes". The reason it does so is very simple: the phrase 'Mistaken explanation' does not appear in 20F5b.

#38 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-May-27, 16:31

View Postcampboy, on 2013-May-27, 04:09, said:

the phrase 'Mistaken explanation' does not appear in 20F5b.

Indeed, it carefully uses "erroneous explanation", avoiding the term "mistaken explanation". And in 20F5a that is not defined as including a failure to alert. Therefore it should be read as just that, "an erroneous explanation". I counted today, in a Swiss Teams, the number of failures to alert, including things like 3C in response to Lebensohl, completion of a transfer which denied four, a pass of a double of a two-suited bid showing no preference, etc. There were eight in seven rounds at my table. If the TD had been called every time, there might have been around 448 TD calls in the day overall at all tables, and the TDs would rightly have given the callers short shrift.

If you interpret "the player" as any player whose partner has given a mistaken explanation (which includes those whose partner has alerted incorrectly) then only those whose partner has given an "erroneous explanation" (not defined, and therefore assume to have its normal meaning, which is why a different phrase is used) must call the TD.

It says that the TD must be called for "an erroneous explanation", because it means exactly that. It does not say, nor imply, that the TD must be called for a failure to alert. Nor do the TDs I asked think they should be called, unless it is thought the opponents might be damaged or might want to change their last call, or, at the end of the auction, if they might have been damaged.

#39 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-May-27, 17:12

View Postlamford, on 2013-May-27, 16:31, said:

Indeed, it carefully uses "erroneous explanation", avoiding the term "mistaken explanation". And in 20F5a that is not defined as including a failure to alert. Therefore it should be read as just that, "an erroneous explanation". I counted today, in a Swiss Teams, the number of failures to alert, including things like 3C in response to Lebensohl, completion of a transfer which denied four, a pass of a double of a two-suited bid showing no preference, etc. There were eight in seven rounds at my table. If the TD had been called every time, there might have been around 448 TD calls in the day overall at all tables, and the TDs would rightly have given the callers short shrift.

If you interpret "the player" as any player whose partner has given a mistaken explanation (which includes those whose partner has alerted incorrectly) then only those whose partner has given an "erroneous explanation" (not defined, and therefore assume to have its normal meaning, which is why a different phrase is used) must call the TD.

It says that the TD must be called "for an erroneous explanation", because it means exactly what it says. It does not say, nor imply, that the TD must be called for a failure to alert. Nor do the TDs I asked think they should be called, unless it is thought the opponents might be damaged or might want to change their last call, or, at the end of the auction, if they might have been damaged.

And "the player" clearly means "the player whose partner has given an erroneous explanation".

Which Version of the laws are you folks using?

I scanned the official law book as published by WBF and got 43 hits on the word "explanation". Only in

Law 20F4 said:

If a player subsequently realizes that his own explanation was erroneous or incomplete he must call the Director immediately. The Director applies Law 21B or Law 40B4.
did I find the Word "erroneous" in conjunction with "explanation" as enhanced by me above.

Everywhere else the laws use the corresponding word "mistaken" as enhanced by me in:

Law 20F5{a} said:

A player whose partner has given a mistaken explanation may not correct the error during the auction, nor may he indicate in any manner that a mistake has been made. ‘Mistaken explanation’ here includes failure to alert or announce as regulations require or an alert (or an announcement) that regulations do not require.
Note also the clause about incorrect alerts and announcements (enhanced by me above).

#40 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-May-27, 17:31

View Postpran, on 2013-May-27, 17:12, said:

Which Version of the laws are you folks using?

I am using the EBU version of the Laws. That states:
20F5(b) The player must call the Director and inform his opponents that, in his opinion, his partner’s explanation was erroneous. (My emphasis). It does not say "in his opinion, his partner failed to alert or alerted incorrectly".

I should say it carefully uses "erroneous" rather than "mistaken" because "mistaken explanation" includes a failure to alert or wrong alert, as you point out.

There is no dispute that the opponents should be informed at the earliest opportunity of any alerting error. There is no dispute that the TD should be called when there is an erroneous explanation. The sole question is whether the TD should be called when there is a failure to alert or wrong alert.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users