Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Auto-translate option for chat

#1 User is offline   wuudturner 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-26, 07:11

As tools like Google Translate come into existence, a neat idea would be an auto-translator for comments/chat. Allow the person to set an option that would automatically translate any incoming chat lines into their chosen language for them.

Imagine how nice it would be to actually understand the vugraf comments in some matches when the commentators are writing in something other than your native language?

Perhaps as valuable, is when your opponents are gabbing away in another language. Exactly what are they discussing? Or when your opponents at the table explain their bid in a language you don't recognize, does it really help you?

Yes, I know this would be a compute hog. But it could be nice.

#2 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-27, 06:46

The problem is that it would not be able to translate mispelled words, which there are a lot of, or people leaving off accents on letters changing the meaning of the word (knowing the context will make it obvious to a human) or any bridge slang/abbreviations (imagine google translate trying to decipher "whatd u have in hts pard?" or, "are u guys playing udca?"). And other languages might simply have different words for the same convention, which wouldn't show up in translation either. The resulting translation would probably be incomprehensible most of the time. I can also imagine a respected commentator not wanting the feature because if the risk of what he says getting garbled and people speaking a different language to him, thinking that's what he actually said.
I Transfers

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-27, 21:45

It would be as painful as the assembly instructions for items I have purchased.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-20, 11:22

View Postwuudturner, on 2012-August-26, 07:11, said:

As tools like Google Translate come into existence, a neat idea would be an auto-translator for comments/chat. Allow the person to set an option that would automatically translate any incoming chat lines into their chosen language for them.

Imagine how nice it would be to actually understand the vugraf comments in some matches when the commentators are writing in something other than your native language?

Perhaps as valuable, is when your opponents are gabbing away in another language. Exactly what are they discussing? Or when your opponents at the table explain their bid in a language you don't recognize, does it really help you?

Yes, I know this would be a compute hog. But it could be nice.

I came on to the forums to suggest the same idea! I think it'd be a fantastic option. I've used google translate to chat with people on BBO in different languages. It's a lot of fun, but very slow for the other players.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users