BBO Discussion Forums: Lorenzo Lauria: The Problem is Me - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lorenzo Lauria: The Problem is Me

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-May-05, 09:00

Rome (Italy), April 30th, 2013
Edited re copyright laws

http://neapolitanclu...-interview.html
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2013-May-05, 10:21

Copyright Notice

All materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of BridgeTopics.com or in the case of third party materials, the owner of that content. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-05, 10:30

View Postglen, on 2013-May-05, 10:21, said:

Copyright Notice

All materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of BridgeTopics.com or in the case of third party materials, the owner of that content. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.

Yeah, I was thinking the same when i read the interview here. Maybe better if JB edits the post to link to original article.

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-05, 13:37

I say this literally having the utmost respect and admiration for Lauria, but it seems like he is implying that the reason the US committee ruled against Monaco is bias against Europeans....as far as I know the team they ruled for had 3 Danes? I don't really get it.

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-May-05, 13:46

I understood him different: I understood that the US is the only country where the committee had ruled against Monaco, all other countries have a different view on this appeal.
Maybe he focussed on the possibility of split scores, which is possible everywhere besides in America?

Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-06, 03:21

I could not get the link to open so here is an alternative.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-May-06, 05:11

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-May-05, 13:37, said:

I say this literally having the utmost respect and admiration for Lauria, but it seems like he is implying that the reason the US committee ruled against Monaco is bias against Europeans....as far as I know the team they ruled for had 3 Danes? I don't really get it.

His bridge certainly commands respect, but it's possible to be a world-class bridge player without really understanding the rules. In fact, it's quite common.

I don't know what he means by "I think the US is the only country left where these appeal committees exist." There are appeals committees all over the world.

At any national bridge event a committee will usually be composed of people from the host nation, because:
- There will be far more suitable local players than overseas visitors.
- The people appointing the committee generally know which local players to put on the committee, but they may not know which visiting players are suitable.
- Overseas visitors will generally be less willing to serve on the committee, because they have better things to do.
- Local players generally have a better understanding of local rules than visiting players.

This last point is particularly important in ACBL events, because the ACBL has elected to use Law 12C1e rather than 12c1c (ie there are no weighted scores in ACBL rulings). I wouldn't trust an Italian expert to make a 12c1e ruling correctly, because 12c1e hasn't applied in Italy since (I think) 1997.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-07, 13:02

Don't let's forget that the interview was conducted in Italian and translated by someone who is probably bilingual but not a professional translator, so we shouldn't read too much into the specific wording in the English version, esp. re appeals committees.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#9 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 00:41

View Postgnasher, on 2013-May-06, 05:11, said:

His bridge certainly commands respect, but it's possible to be a world-class bridge player without really understanding the rules. In fact, it's quite common.

I don't know what he means by "I think the US is the only country left where these appeal committees exist." There are appeals committees all over the world.

At any national bridge event a committee will usually be composed of people from the host nation, because:
- There will be far more suitable local players than overseas visitors.
- The people appointing the committee generally know which local players to put on the committee, but they may not know which visiting players are suitable.
- Overseas visitors will generally be less willing to serve on the committee, because they have better things to do.
- Local players generally have a better understanding of local rules than visiting players.

This last point is particularly important in ACBL events, because the ACBL has elected to use Law 12C1e rather than 12c1c (ie there are no weighted scores in ACBL rulings). I wouldn't trust an Italian expert to make a 12c1e ruling correctly, because 12c1e hasn't applied in Italy since (I think) 1997.

The last point is only really relevant to the AC Chairman. You only need one person who understands the Laws fully, particularly in cases such as this one where the main issue is bridge judgement.

#10 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2013-May-10, 03:20

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-May-07, 13:02, said:

Don't let's forget that the interview was conducted in Italian and translated by someone who is probably bilingual but not a professional translator, so we shouldn't read too much into the specific wording in the English version, esp. re appeals committees.

I think she is pretty close to a professional translator, being an Italian academic who has spent the last few years in Scotland doing her PhD while trying to play bridge. Unlike many, not only is she finishing her PhD this month but she represented Scotland last month at the Home Internationals.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-May-10, 03:51

View Postpaulg, on 2013-May-10, 03:20, said:

she, being an Italian academic, represented Scotland last month at the Home Internationals.

Seems to say everything about modern international bridge, sadly.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-May-10, 05:50

I think she is pretty close to a professional translator, being an Italian academic who has spent the last few years in Scotland doing her PhD while trying to play bridge. Unlike many, not only is she finishing her PhD this month but she represented Scotland last month at the Home Internationals.

Does "unlike many" refer to completing her PhD, or representing Scotland? If the latter, I think you're on fairly thin ground.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 06:50

View Postjallerton, on 2013-May-10, 00:41, said:

The last point is only really relevant to the AC Chairman. You only need one person who understands the Laws fully, particularly in cases such as this one where the main issue is bridge judgement.

One of the functions of the TD is to explain the laws, when necessary, to the AC, so you don't really need anyone on the committee who understands them fully. Of course, somebody needs to ask the TD for explanations when needed. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 07:16

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-May-10, 03:51, said:

she, being an Italian academic, represented Scotland last month at the Home Internationals.

I don't understand what you mean. What is sad about someone who works and lives in Scotland -for the purpose of working and living in Scotland- and thus has her home there to represent Scotland in her hobby?

This is quite different from someone who lives in say Italy or Norway who moves to some tiny country without a decent bridge team for the purpose of representing someone who pays them a lot of money in international bridge.

I am Dutch, married to a Finnish wife. I have lived in the USA, Sweden and currently live in The Netherlands. For my wife and me at the time that we live(d) there these countries were/are our homes and if we would be / would have been good enough, we would be / would have been proud to represent the country that we call(ed) home. Anybody in the street where we live would say that my wife's home is right here in our street. The same goes for her colleagues and our friends (whether from The Netherlands, Sweden, USA, Finland or other countries).

Though I live in The Netherlands, I am working for a German company, half of the time physically in Germany. (Don't ask how that works with taxes, etc. . I wouldn't recommend doing this.) It would never occur to me to represent Germany. I may spend a lot of time there, but I don't see it as my home.

Now, I understand that it is very difficult to describe "what people consider their home" legally water tight in a regulation in such a way that it is enforceable. But that doesn't mean that it is a bad moral principle to represent the country (or region or city or...) that you call home, just because you or your parents were born somewhere else.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#15 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2013-May-10, 08:07

Unlike many, not only is she finishing her PhD this month but she represented Scotland last month at the Home Internationals.

View Postgnasher, on 2013-May-10, 05:50, said:

Does "unlike many" refer to completing her PhD, or representing Scotland? If the latter, I think you're on fairly thin ground.

At least the top Scottish pairs compete in the trials for the Lady Milne :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#16 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2013-May-10, 08:14

but she represented Scotland last month at the Home Internationals.

It says nothing about modern international bridge. The Home Internationals are friendly events and are not considered representative events by the EBL or WBF. Living in one of the home nations for two years is sufficient to play for them, although each country may have its own additional requirements.

As it happens it is possible to be eligible for Scotland for the Home Internationals and not for the European Team Championships, and vice versa. In fact last year there were two such players. Bit of a nightmare for the selectors.

The Beer Card

#17 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 08:54

Seems to say everything about modern international life.

FYP.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#18 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 13:39

Translation is a specific skill that does not come automatically with being bilingual. Some of the English in the translation was stilted enough to make it clear she doesn't perform textual translation on a regular basis.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-11, 11:42

We're not talking about translating a legal document or the works of Shakespeare, where all the fine nuances are critical. If someone is able to converse fluently in the language, I think they can probably do a good enough job for an interview like this. The most important thing in this case is knowing the subject matter -- a "professional translator" wouldn't necessarily know much about duplicate bridge and might not know how to translate the jargon idiomatically.

#20 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-11, 18:18

View Postbarmar, on 2013-May-11, 11:42, said:

We're not talking about translating a legal document or the works of Shakespeare, where all the fine nuances are critical. If someone is able to converse fluently in the language, I think they can probably do a good enough job for an interview like this. The most important thing in this case is knowing the subject matter -- a "professional translator" wouldn't necessarily know much about duplicate bridge and might not know how to translate the jargon idiomatically.

A previous commenter was trying to figure out what Lauria might have meant by some specific wording, as if he had said those exact words in English. Since it's not clear to me that this stilted translation was done by someone who "is able to converse fluently" in English, I believed and continue to believe that we should not assume that it is entirely faithful to the original.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users