BBO Discussion Forums: Another Hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Another Hand Would appreciate your opinion on bidding

#1 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-23, 01:29

Dealer: East, Vul: North-South

Also would like to hear about declarer's plan in case of 3NT by South and H2 Op Lead

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-April-23, 03:51

The bidding
One possibility:
1 pass 2 X
3 3 NT pass pass

But of course there are several ways to bid the hand different: Some south may bid 2 - maybe just to make it trickier for them to find spades, a lot Wests may pass with a balanced 4 count, north may not bid or try 2 , south may not choose 3 NT....

For the play: They do have 15 HCPS and east usually 6 hearts for the opening and rebid. After you see the King of hearts in the West hand, you know that the spade finesse will not work. So: Take the third heart and take your 5 diamond tricks. You can notice that East has troubles. He needs to discard 5 times. Two spades and a club are easy. But what to do now? If he discards hearts, you can exist with your fourth heart. He may cash two rounds but has to give you an additional black suit trick with his return. If he is triky and just discard one heart, you better know which suit he still holds and cash the ace of the other suit to get his now singleton king.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-23, 04:05

I don't think Codo's auction is very realistic. As W I won't raise to 2 if S passes, as N I would bid 2 and not X if W does raise, and as S I would overcall 2. Do agree E will open this 1.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-23, 06:26

1 - P - P - 1;
P - 2 - 2 - 4;
P - 5 - P - 5 perhaps. This is a difficult hand to give a specific auction for since there are options at many of the turns.

For the play in 3NT, hold up in hearts and then run diamonds. East will probably come down to
KJ
Q
-
KJ

and then you just need to play a heart so that East plays away from one of the kings (A + a second would also work, inter alia). If East tries to keep 2 hearts then you can cash a black ace to see if the king drops. If you guess right and the king drops then you can revert back to the previous line and throw East in on the last heart (for an overtrick). If not then the king will drop under the second ace. Either way, you make your contract.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-April-23, 06:41

I suspect that this auction won't get too many votes (especially in the Novice and Beginner forums) but I'd bid this as follows

(1) - 1NT - (P) - 2
(P) - 2 - (P) - 3
(P) - 4 - (P) - 4
(P) - 5- All pass
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-23, 07:16

hrothgar, really not used to calling NT with a singleton (especially in a Major)

Zelandakh, what is the meaning of 4H bid here? What is the reason for South not to overcall 2D after 1H opening? Hearts holding? How bad is 2D Overcall?

Antrax, can you give me the whole bidding sequence?

Codo, Zelandakh, thank you for declarer play comments!

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-April-23, 07:26

View Postbarsikb, on 2013-April-23, 07:16, said:

hrothgar, really not used to calling NT with a singleton (especially in a Major)

Zelandakh, what is the meaning of 4H bid here? What is the reason for South not to overcall 2D after 1H opening? Hearts holding? How bad is 2D Overcall?

Hi Barsik

I understand that the 1NT call is not to everyone's taste. However, I prefer this to either Pass or 2.

Let's start by considering 2. Personally, I prefer better Diamonds for a vulnerable two level over call.
Either a sixth Diamond or another Diamond honor would be sufficient.
If you look at the other auctions that are being suggested, you'll see that no one so far has suggested a 2D overcall
(I"m noting this not to indicate that 1NT is right, but rather than a number of people have concerns with 2D. I'll also note that I know plenty of good players who would call 2D with this hand)

Let's switch over to consider pass.
I don't like pass because I don't think I have a good descriptive call following a reopening double by partner.
My trumps aren't quite good enough to convert for penalty.
3D seems to be an underbid
3NT seems very unilateral

The 1NT overcall lies about my spade length, but otherwise its a good description of strength (and arguably a stiff isn't that much worse than xx)
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-23, 08:43

The 4 bid in my auction was a splinter showing diamond support, heart shortage and a good hand. It is an aggressive bid since it bypasses 3NT in a minor fit auction and would certainly not be everyone's choice (it is quite possibly too aggressive to be honest). I am not keen on a 2 overcall because the suit is so poor. Changing a low to the 10 would improve the hand enormously for overcalling. That said, an overcall is not a bad bid per se; the majority of club players would probably make the call.

I rejected hrothgar's 1NT overcall because the combination of the minimum strength, spade singleton and badly positioned heart stopper is just too much. Give me Q instead of a low and the singleton spade would not stop me from making the bid.

Passing first essentially treats the hand as a balanced 14. A 1NT overcall treats the hand as a balanced 15. Overcalling treats the hand as unbalanced. All of these are reasonable positions to take.

#9 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-23, 08:44

Antrax, can you give me the whole bidding sequence?
I would, but I don't want to mislead you. As Zel said, there are several possibilities, and I honestly don't know what's "right". There are some very good players who read and reply in this fourm. I'm not one of them.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-April-23, 08:48

Edited to remove nonsense based on miscounting E's hand

As for richards' 1N overcall, I find myself very much on the same page as him in, say, the watercooler threads, but 1N is awful imo.

For one thing, 1N is usually played as 15-18, and while I probably like Aces as much as anyone, this is still only 14. Upgrading into a narrow range, say 15-17, is far more playable than is upgrading into a wider range. I am not saying don't do it, but I am saying that one needs defensible grounds for doing it. For example, holding AJ10x in hearts would be a good reason: holding A9xx is not. Add to this the stiff spade and the mind boggles.

If E opens, then S uses the green card, as does West. North shouldn't double. A void in opener's suit is a terrible holding with which to make a double that is sometimes passed out. Obviously we can see that S isn't passing 1 but we should be trying to put ourselves into N's position at decision time. The reason it is bad is that skilled declarers, aware of the trump stack behind them, will often be able to repeatedly endplay S in trump unless S has a solid sequence. We can reduce the chances of that happening by leading our stiff trump through declarer, almost always gaining at least one trick. We can't do that with a void.

In addition, N isn't quite strong enough to double and then bid spades (doubling in balancing chair, followed by bidding a suit, can be lighter than the same sequence in direct, but this hand doesn't reach even that modest bar), and the risk of missing the 5-3 spade fit is, imo, too great, especially when combined with the risk of partner converting the double.

Edited for same reason :D

If East opened 1 and we reached 3N, which is probable, then the play is trivial....East is placed with the black Kings and has to make a lot of discards. On an earlier thread I pointed out that East could avoid the squeeze by stiffing his club K behind dummy's AQJ10, but that was plausible only because E had merely overcalled and was able to show overcalling values without having the club K. Here, once West shows the heart K, which he will do eventually, it is trivial to place the black Kings.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-23, 08:53

View Postmikeh, on 2013-April-23, 08:48, said:

I am astounded that everybody opens the East hand. A 10 count with no Aces and only 2 controls, and not much defence. Is everyone playing a strong club method?

Check the floor Mike - I think you dropped a knave.

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-April-23, 08:59

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-April-23, 08:53, said:

Check the floor Mike - I think you dropped a knave.

oops: that's what comes from posting before I drink my morning coffee.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-April-23, 16:18

These are my prefered auctions, 3 showing (a single jump new suit vs a overcall) 5 card suit +4 card support and invitational or more values. (forcing) But i am aware this is not suitable in novice-beginner forum. Having said that, my prefered auction for beginner and novice level is pretty simple.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-April-24, 01:14

I shiver if someone suggests 2 or 1 NT for the south hand.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#15 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-27, 20:09

Thank you, dear experts!

I thought I was too cautious overcalling with minor suits at the 2-level but now I know I was actually too aggressive ;)

What about Diamonds play by Declarer? Safest way to play them?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users