BBO Discussion Forums: how bad is double? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

how bad is double? disaster postmortem

#21 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-20, 17:59

hate double. it's presumptuous to hit the panic button and risk an action when they will often only have 8 clubs in which case we'll be fine defending or they might also have done themselves out of a higher scoring NT contract.

partner knows as well as we do that it's right to bid aggressively at these colours/scoring, so he could have overcalled a reasonable 4 card suit or made an off-shape take out double.

#22 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-April-20, 19:31

You make a bad bid and get to a badly breaking contract you get doubled, I don't care if you are Garozzo.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#23 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-21, 05:19

Partner has a bag of spanners (he passed over 1), righty has a bag of spanners (he bid 3), I have a bag of spanners (I know that because I am looking at it). But they have a big fit, right?

Not necessarily. I am going to go out on a limb and suggest there is a very high likelihood that lefty is 18-19 balanced. All the signs point to it. On a bad day, he is 4432 and righty is 2245. And don't tell me people don't bid 3 on that - maybe they shouldn't but in practice they often do.

On a good day, lefty has a max weak no trump and we escape for one off against their one off. I don't think there is much chance at all that lefty has a natural club given the action so far. When he does, he is strong given partner passed with a stiff or void club, so our double is the equivalent of breaking wind.

#24 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-April-21, 12:14

Poty for gratuitous use of the phrase "bag of spanners" and comparison of dbl and breaking wind.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-22, 01:49

I have to admit that the last time I saw this auction RHO had a semi-balanced hand with 5 clubs and LHO had 4=4=3=2. Club game so not much point in mentioning the lack of alert.
(-: Zel :-)

#26 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-April-22, 01:56

Yo double so bad when she wears an X jacket helicopters try to land on her.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#27 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-22, 06:45

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-April-20, 12:19, said:

I would always X

Really? Now I am confused, this was looking unanimous.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#28 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 04:51

Just like CGibson, i would not even consider it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users