Defend 4 spade

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-18, 01:00

Team match, strong opponents.

2 was weak 2, 6 cards.

You led A (or K if that suits your style better ) and pd played 4 declarer played 2 (standart carding), what goes on your mind at this point ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-April-18, 02:14

How do I get a 4. trick, given partner AKxxxx in hearts?

I try a heart and cash two diamonds later so that dummy has to ruff. Now I can beat them if partner holds jst Qx in spades.

I do not know how you will ask your partner to switch back to diamonds, this is the tricky part. I try the heart 6 to show the right length or the nine if you play attitude leads...

This post has been edited by Codo: 2013-April-18, 02:33

Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 02:29

Baring miracles you need a heart, two diamonds, a club or a club ruff.
The danger is that declarer has the singleton K and two clubs. Partner's hand xx, ATxxxx,xx4, Kx)
Considering, a club ruff, partner needs either a club void (Kx, KTxxxx, xxxx4 -) or a singleton club plus the ace of spades (Ax, KTxxxx, xx43,x)

Switch to a low club at trick 2

Rainer Herrmann

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-April-18, 02:32

View PostCodo, on 2013-April-18, 02:14, said:

I do not know how you will ask your partner to switch back to hearts, this is the tricky part. I try the heart 6 to show the right length or the nine if you play attitude leads...

Did u mean switch back to diamonds ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-April-18, 02:33

View PostMrAce, on 2013-April-18, 02:32, said:

Did u mean switch back to diamonds ?

Ty edited it.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 02:45

View PostCodo, on 2013-April-18, 02:14, said:

How do I get a 4. trick, given partner AKxxxx in hearts?

I try a heart and cash two diamonds later so that dummy has to ruff. Now I can beat them if partner holds jst Qx in spades.

I do not know how you will ask your partner to switch back to diamonds, this is the tricky part. I try the heart 6 to show the right length or the nine if you play attitude leads...

If that is the layout a good Bridge player should always switch back to diamonds.
He knows a second diamond will cash and he does not know whether a second heart will stand up. However, he knows you do.
Ergo with a trump honor return a diamond in case partner has the T. With no trump honor, hope your partner has one

Rainer Herrmann

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 05:06

My first thought is that I'd like to know whether this is an attitude or count situation. Either is playable, so "standard" doesn't really constitute a sufficient agreement.

Suppose that it's count. That probably makes declarer 5152. If so, we can try to cater for both AKQxx K 10xxxx Qx and AKxxx x 10xxxx KQ, by cashing a second diamond and getting a suit preference signal. Sometimes declarer will be able to obfuscate the signal, but sometimes he won't. For example, if partner plays 5, I'll know to switch to a club.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 05:57

View Postgnasher, on 2013-April-18, 05:06, said:

My first thought is that I'd like to know whether this is an attitude or count situation. Either is playable, so "standard" doesn't really constitute a sufficient agreement.

Suppose that it's count. That probably makes declarer 5152. If so, we can try to cater for both AKQxx K 10xxxx Qx and AKxxx x 10xxxx KQ, by cashing a second diamond and getting a suit preference signal. Sometimes declarer will be able to obfuscate the signal, but sometimes he won't. For example, if partner plays 5, I'll know to switch to a club.

Just to add that if he signals for a heart, indicating the second hand, we switch to the 9, which should show count, so that partner can switch back to diamonds. We need the heart trick in the bank before going for our trump promotion.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-April-18, 16:20

View Postgnasher, on 2013-April-18, 05:06, said:

If you cash 2nd pd will play the 3

Sorry i can not answer your question about signaling because i was only a kibitzer and all i heard was "std carding" I am not even sure what the defender in W intended by starting with 4. This was a hand from top class international match.

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-18, 20:42

There are many ways to possibly set this contract it has been my experience that
playing p for the least amount of power and most normal distribution is the way to
go (mainly because its very uplifting to defeat a virtually impregnable contract with the
fewest assets possible).

Our carding apparently leaves a lot to be desired since it is immediately obvious that
we do not need dia attitude p first card should be either count or suit preference. If
we cannot depend on that we need to guess. I believe we can beat this if p has as
little as Qx Axxxxx xxx xx or Kx Axxxxx xxx xx or Qx AKxxxx xxx xx

trick 1 dia ace
trick 2 heart 9 to give p even count they win (A or K) depending on holding
trick 3 dia back to k
trick 4 dia J forcing a ruff

no matter what declarer does now if p has one of the 3 holdings they will go down.
Another advantage to this defense is we will also hold declarer to 4 if p has something like
xx AKxxxx xxx xx where we had no chance to set 4s.

the key here is to use signals to your advantage the more flexible you are the more situations
you will be able to cover. With good signaling methods you will most likely be able to find the
best LOP to defeat this contract (if its possible). Note there are at least 3 totally different
concepts on how do defeat 4s and only with viable signalling do you have a chance of getting it right.

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-19, 01:01

View PostMrAce, on 2013-April-18, 16:20, said:

If you cash 2nd pd will play the 3

The only holding I can think of where the 4 was the highest card he could afford is 43 doubleton. If the hands are Qx A10xxxx xx Qxx and AKxxx K 10xxxxx K, there's no need to play the promotion, because it will happen naturally. Instead, I can safely play a heart and wait for our trump or diamond trick.

I am not even sure what the defender in W intended by starting with 4.

Maybe it was a Vugraph operator error?

Anyway, if we assume that partner played, or intended to play, 3-4 in diamonds, I think he has K, so I'll play a club.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-April-19, 01:11

View Postgnasher, on 2013-April-19, 01:01, said:

Maybe it was a Vugraph operator error?

Anyway, if we assume that partner played, or intended to play, 3-4 in diamonds, I think he has K, so I'll play a club.

It may as well be an operator error. Justin and Grue were NS, Grue playing the hand but perhaps Justin can tell us if it was an error by operator or if it was played 4 then 3, the whole hand was

East started with A and then K and then played 7! And W insta tried to cash his 2nd (This EW obviously like to torture each other, unless operator was clicking cards randomly :lol: )

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users