BBO Discussion Forums: How to bid this hand #6? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

How to bid this hand #6?

#1 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-31, 18:22

Hope everyone is well here. I am back with many more questions to you, dear experts :)

How would you bid this hand, please? North is declarer.

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-31, 20:28

Lots of choices. Maybe:

1=2
2=3
3=3
3nt-4
4nt-5

2/1 natural game forcing, rebidding hearts shows 6, with good suits repeat the reds an extra time, 3 spades is initially thought by N as a probe for 3nt but is revealed as a slam cue for hearts with the pull to 4hearts, keycard and 6.

But I could also see:
1=2
2=3
3nt

Or
1=2
2=3
3nt=4

Or
1=2
2=3
3nt=4
4nt=5

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-31, 21:51

Mbodell gives fine auctions, but when I was a beginner I wouldn't have been able to parse this: "3 spades is initially thought by N as a probe for 3nt but is revealed as a slam cue for hearts with the pull to 4hearts, keycard and 6."
So, basically what it means is that after 3, if the sides don't have a fit (N doesn't know that they do), it makes sense for them to try and play 3NT on sheer power. So, 3 shows a stopper in spades (or shows in clubs and asks for spades, matter of agreement). N, assuming they're in a misfit and holding the desired club stopper, bids 3NT. Now S suddenly bids 4. Since S is the one who asked for NT with his spade bid, pulling to hearts is a surprise. In this case, showing heart support (two cards at most, since with three he'd have supported hearts instead of bidding 3). Since he didn't raise 3 to 4 directly, he is probably trying for slam, with a spade control.
I hope I didn't explain the obvious.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users