BBO Discussion Forums: Do you "Super Accept" with a 4333 distribution? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you "Super Accept" with a 4333 distribution?

#21 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-March-29, 07:28

Gnasher's just beaten me to it in one respect - I was going to say it's surprising that not one person has mentioned the possibility of a competitive auction.

I super-accept more often in hearts than in spades, and far more often non-vulnerable than vulnerable. In so many other auctions, people are happy to 'bid to the level of the fit' or 'pre-empt the spade suit', this is exactly the same.

Suppose you hold

KQx
x
Axxxx
Kxxx

assuming you have no way to show this hand directly over a 1NT opening (most people don't), which auction do you prefer:

1NT P 2D P 2H ?
1NT P 2D P 3H ?

On the former you have an easy double.

#22 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-29, 07:30

jillybean, on 2013-March-27, 10:42, said:

What do you think of using the super accept to show a second suit. 1N 2H 3D super accept in spades, solid diamond suit.

Doesn't seem a good idea to help identify good leads for opponents. And not just good leads, but knowledge of your (concealed) hand and shape all through the play. Transfer breaking is useful when partner has a marginal game hand, and when he does, the diamond knowledge may not be much help. When he doesn't, and will pass, or would have bid game anyway, it is a definite downside.

#23 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-29, 07:40

gnasher, on 2013-March-29, 05:57, said:

Most of the time responder isn't going to care about opener's doubleton, but the opponents will nearly always be interested in this information.

I agree with everything else, but not this (the first part). Well, I do agree with it in the literal sense "most of the time". However, it is common when responder has a marginal hand for it to be a 5332 shape (any doubleton). On these hands, if opener is 4432 with the same doubleton, there is probably no play for game. However, when opener has a 4234 (different doubleton), the doubleton in opener's suit provides the extra trick for game. So responder should be interested.

I think it is worth discovering that fact.

Rather than opener immediately showing the doubleton, the ideal is to let opener make a nondescript transfer break of 2M+1 and then let a marginal responder show his doubleton. (He only does this if game marginal). Then opener can decline game with a mirrored doubleton.

#24 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-29, 07:51

Free, on 2013-March-27, 11:18, said:

A 4333 doesn't add much trick potential

The reason I super-accept with a 4333 is that it does add trick potential when responder has a marginal 4432. You get a ruff in hand that is otherwise not found in the bidding. Of course, if partner shows a marginal 5332 by showing the doubleton, then you decline and stop in 3.

#25 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-March-29, 10:54

fromageGB, on 2013-March-29, 07:51, said:

The reason I super-accept with a 4333 is that it does add trick potential when responder has a marginal 4432.

Responder doesn't transfer with a 4432 :unsure:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#26 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-29, 16:34

fromageGB, on 2013-March-29, 07:30, said:

Doesn't seem a good idea to help identify good leads for opponents. And not just good leads, but knowledge of your (concealed) hand and shape all through the play. Transfer breaking is useful when partner has a marginal game hand, and when he does, the diamond knowledge may not be much help. When he doesn't, and will pass, or would have bid game anyway, it is a definite downside.

I prefer showing a second suit to showing a small doubleton; the two are about equally useful to partner, but the second suit is usually about half as useful to the opps as the doubleton. (The small doubleton tells them what to lead. The second suit tells them what not to lead, and, excluding trump, they still have two choices.)

If you want to go through the trouble of a system where opener gives uninformative transfer breaks and responder shows if interested in game, that's better, but it's also a good deal of memory load for something not very frequent. Otherwise, I think it's a general principle that invites revealing strengths are better than invites revealing weaknesses.

#27 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-30, 13:14

Free, on 2013-March-29, 10:54, said:

Responder doesn't transfer with a 4432 :unsure:

So you spotted it! 5224 of course.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users