• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-March-21, 05:00

AKJ97x
xxx
Ax
Ax

you open 1S, partner replies 1NT, what would you rebid (possibly wrong forum)?

Your partner has
x
xxx
KQxxx
Kxxx, what should he rebid? If you end up in spades you will be declarer and LHO will lead the Q. How would you play?

I hope at least one of the three questions is interesting.

Matchpoints. All of the x's are very, very small and opps have no idea what signalling is.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-March-21, 05:06

Aunt Kathy and her sister would probably bid it 1 - 1NT; 3 - 3NT.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-21, 06:37

3 rebid is about as obvious as they come. If all decisions were this easy, I could win Bermuda Bowl on a good day.

Playing 4 after Q, there is nothing to lose by trying to pitch a heart on the third diamond. Only question is whether to lay down AK first.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-March-21, 14:31

Rebid 3 . Your hand has 16 HCP, a reasonably good 6 card suit, and really no other suit to show. A jump rebid shows exactly that hand. Partner will know to pass with the 5 to bad 8 hand and bid on with a better hand.

Partner has a decision to make -- pass 3 , bid 4 , or bid 3 NT. Partner's problem is that there in no way to obtain more information about your hand. Holding a good 8, I think the choice for partner is between 3 NT or 4 . With bad spots, I think 4 is better.

The opponents have helped you by leading Q. They didn't find a lead and cash 3 tricks.

Win in your hand with A.

Cash A. If neither Q or 10 show, cash K. If spades are 3-2 and the Q is doubleton, you can draw the last trump and pitch a losing on the Q making at least 5. If spades are 3-2 and the Q has not fallen, you still make 4 so long as the hand holding the Q also has a doubleton . You next cash 3 rounds of and pitch a loser on the third winner. If the hand with the Q has exactly three diamonds, diamonds will break and you have a chance to make 5 by playing a 4th trick and pitching a 2nd loser.

If the Q falls when you cash the A, you can cash two more s [K,J] and hope the player with the 10 fourth has at least 2 , continue playing as above.

If are 4-1 and the 10 falls when you cash the A or spades are 4-1 and all low cards show when you cash the K, you may still have some possibilities via a trump coup.

Had the opponents cashed 3 tricks against 4 , you would have been down to bringing in the suit without the loss of a trick at best. A 4th led from in front of your hand might well effect a trump promotion. In that case, your best hope would be to ruff with the 9 and hope Q10x were in front of your hand. Without a 4th return, your best hope is to cross to dummy and finesse the J hoping for 3-3 s with the Q onside.

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-21, 14:37

I would rebid 3, but I don't have the same glowing optimism of the other posters. I just can't justify bidding less. The hand has 6 losers by MLTC, which is less than is required for a strong rebid, but one of those losers is the Q which may not be a loser opposite a moderate fit.

Depending on partner's hand, the 3 rebid will either work very well or very poorly. If we have a fit, it should work well. But we may have 3 quick losers and a lot of work to do in a spade contract.

My 3 call is going to give partner a major headache on the hand he holds. I hope that he guesses well. And, looking at both hands, I can't tell you whether I want to be in 3, 4 or 3NT (or, for that matter, 2)

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-March-21, 14:56

rmnka, trumps were not 3-2 or 4-1, I'm confused (you do talk about 3-3 in your last paragraph).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users