BBO Discussion Forums: How do you respond? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

How do you respond? Absent a humor section...

Poll: How do you respond? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your response?

1. Is English your second language? She just did. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. What part about "This is our first time playing" did you not understand. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Just sit quietly, and wait for partner to figure it out. (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Director (yes, he mentioned that as an option if we had any questions) (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. "Dear, you are not allowed to ask that" (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

6. "Dear, you are not allowed to ask that, but no." (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Other (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-06, 21:10

You and your partner (who dreaded the idea of playing live duplicate in a club) move to about the tenth table. You greet your opponents just like the first nine, as recommended by the TD, "Hi. (introduction). This is our first time playing."

Everyone at the first 9 tables has been kind. One pair had an interesting discussion with each other after going down doubled on a convention misunderstanding. One precision pair kindly complimented you after getting set.

Everyone you have met must be retired. You are only there because you had a day off from work, and the club starts play at noon.

Approximate bidding...
1 (p) 2 (p)
2 ...

"Is that forcing?", your partner asks.

"You can't ask that, by RHO" A white-haired lady, playing with another WHL. You can see tears welling in partner's eyes.

What is your response?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-06, 21:34

I would say "give him a break, it's his first duplicate" and say to partner "it's OK, you just need to wait until your turn". I mean, you could call the director, but the opponent made a fair (albeit lacking courtesy and compassion) comment, so there is not much he will be able to do.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-06, 22:00

As I understood it, the question came from the 2 bidder.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-March-06, 22:10

Delete please
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-March-06, 22:11

Ah, right. How about a comment to the opponent along the lines of "It was a nice try, though".

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-07, 00:30

"Dear, you're not allowed to ask that. Do you best and don't worry about it".
As an opponent I wouldn't mind (I have to put up with much worse from experienced players), but I don't mind an opponent minding.

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-March-07, 02:04

I would say "you can't ask that" too as your opp, although as friendlily as possible. If your partner almost cries from this, maybe it's not entirely your opp's fault. But as to your question, I would try to make clear that my opp is right and to calm down my p at the same time. Antrax's formulation seems nice.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-March-07, 03:25

"I'll tell you after the hand. Just do your best for now. And relax, this is just for fun!"
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-07, 03:48

No reason to be rude to opps. They are right, after all, and they might have interpretted "first time playing" as "first time playing together".

Just tell partner that it is true that she can't ask her partner any questions, but of course, above all try to calm her down.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-March-15, 08:32

Under no circumstance answer the question or attack your opponents. After all, they're right, it's not allowed, and if respond to the question they can call the TD and make a good case.

Calling the TD yourself is useless, your RHO is right.

Just smile to the WHL (tilting your head slightly) and apologize with the argument that it's your partner's first time and he probably doesn't know this yet, but that you both will try to keep that in mind. Tell partner the truth, that it's indeed not allowed to ask that, and that you'll discuss this auction after the hand. Also make partner comfortable by telling that the result doesn't matter much for example.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users