Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this hand

#1 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-January-10, 06:58

I am East my partner (an Expert) is at West. I must presume he is bidding 'expertly.' If I was equipped with similar expert ability what would I bid after he doubled? I am sat there wondering what he might have in his hand - what would you conclude that he has in his hand?

#2 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-10, 07:13

West shows a takeout-oriented hand that is unsuitable for a takeout double of diamonds, but now that the opponents have bid hearts there is no issue. So probably 4-4 in the black suits, short hearts and tolerance for diamonds (precisely 4=2=3=4 or 4=2=2=5 are likely). Your hand is arguably one of the worst fits possible, so bid 2 (ideally with some speed) and hope the opponents don't know what to do. If you take a really pessimistic view you could pass, 1NTX is only 180 or 280 with a single overtrick, beating doubled vulnerable down two.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-January-10, 07:15

View Posteuclidz, on 2021-January-10, 06:58, said:

I am East my partner (an Expert) is at West. I must presume he is bidding 'expertly.' If I was equipped with similar expert ability what would I bid after he doubled? I am sat there wondering what he might have in his hand - what would you conclude that he has in his hand?

Black suits and Heart shortage

AT52
xx
xx
KQ842
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 07:27

Here is his hand. I, working on the presumption that my partner is sane and equipped with clear thinking and logic formed the view that he must have a long suit with an entry after it runs out.

#5 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 07:33

The first double changes everything, although a double on this hand is not at all indicated. The second double is poor bridge.

That being said, I would imagine the second double promises a (very) strong hand, not a running suit per se. I prefer to bid solid suits instead of letting partner guess.

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 08:01

View Posteuclidz, on 2021-January-10, 07:27, said:

Here is his hand. I, working on the presumption that my partner is sane and equipped with clear thinking and logic formed the view that he must have a long suit with an entry after it runs out.

Did he pass or double first time ? you give a different auction in the original post.

I don't think at this vul pass then X exists on anything other than a big 4225/4135, you have no idea whether N was about to bid 3N (or on doubler's actual hand 6N).

What these auctions mean depends to some extent whether you ever overcall 1 on 4.

#7 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 08:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-January-10, 08:01, said:

Did he pass or double first time ? you give a different auction in the original post.

Yes, he passed on his first bid, sorry, my error, his first call was a pass second call a double.

#8 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 09:28

with a joint holding of 26hcp South makes 10 tricks in NT's

#9 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 10:15

Partner a expert? Expert IDIOT! Red/Green poor / suits. K probable dead as North bid suit. -800/-1100 is a stupid score thanks to stupid X

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-January-10, 13:27

euclidz ' Here is his hand. I, working on the presumption that my partner is sane and equipped with clear thinking and logic formed the view that he must have a long suit with an entry after it runs out.'
++++++++++++++++++++
IMO, by agreement, West's double could show either
(a) A good hand with a s e,g. Qxx x AKT8x AJxx or
(b) Weak T/O with the black suits (similar to his actual hand).
Lacking an agreement, East might reply 2 to cater for both possibilities.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 20:26

Gary is a decent guy but not an expert by BBO definitions. That said, context is sometimes also relevant. You play in the Acol Club so the 1 opening promised 4+ and the 1NT rebid showed 15+. Moreover, very few members, and certainly not Antonia, play modern light responses so you can be fairly confident that the opps have the values for their 1NT contract. So passing was pretty silly; but in honesty so was Gary's Double. It sort of worked though, as it confused Antonia enough to talk her out of bidding game, so was a nett +20. So maybe the bidding is more expert than it appears to the rest of us after all. ;)
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users