Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questionable BBO TD ruling

#1 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-12, 05:20

This was reported to me by a friend, who happened to be dummy in this board. She was playing in a regular free tourney which is restricted by the tourney host to players who ask for permission to play there. In trick 2 North played K and asked for an undo, which was not granted by declarer. Director was called and adjusted immediately to ave+-. When the E/W players tried to play the next tourney, they found out that they were blacklisted by the host, and on request the host confirmed that this incident was the reason for the blacklisting.

I have 3 comments on this:

1. When declarer led the Q from the closed hand, North likely expected him to finesse the K and did not anticipate the ace being played from the dummy. Therefore the K from north is likely to be not a misclick, but simply caused by North not really looking what was played but just assuming what he anticipated. If so, the call for an undo would have been illegal. BBO rules state:

The only acceptable time to ask for an undo is when you have misclicked. If you make a poor bid or play or for any other reason, it is inappropriate to ask for an undo. ... All members have the right to reject an undo, redeal, or claim request for any reason. Members are not required to explain why they have rejected such a request and it is inappropriate for a player to be offended if one of his requests is rejected.
I think that this implies that it is illegal for a tourney host to have a rule that says "All undo requests must be granted, otherwise players are blacklisted." I understand that tourney hosts have a lot of freedom to set up rules for their tourneys, but IMO rules that contradict BBO rules should not be allowed.

2. It was an IMPs tourney. The great majority made 11 tricks in this board. If the TD really wants to grant the undo by making an adjustment, IMO he should let the play continue, which will likely result in 12 tricks for the declarer, and then adjust to 11 tricks. The difference was just 0.78 IMPs. AVE+- yielded 3 IMPs for the "non-offending" side and -3 IMPs for the "offending" side.

3. I find it hard to believe that the tourney host did not only blacklist the declarer, but also the dummy, who was not involved at all in the undo process.

If somebody of the BBO stuff feels that it would be a good idea to talk with the tourney host about this, I can provide the name.

For those who still think that a tourney rule that forbids the rejection of an undo has some merit, I have a case that I experienced recently in a tourney where I was directing:

In trick 9, South (the declarer) had played 7, which was ruffed by West. He asked for an undo, which was rejected. He called the TD, complained about the rejection in an unfriendly way, and asked again. Before I was able to say anything, E/W accepted the undo. I said to the table that, according to the rules of this tourney, there should not be undo requests for a card played, but only for calls. South objected to this in an unfriendly way. After the board was finished, I adjusted to 10 tricks for the declarer and blacklisted him, but not the dummy.

Karl

#2 User is offline   aurora 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2013-May-18, 12:46

hello Karl
1. I understand your point of view, You may have right , Maybe North didn't expect declare to play A over Q, but are you 100% sure that he not misclicked? he had only 2 cards , playing on PC sometimes you can move the mouse more then you want and to click on to fast. Is hard to be 100% sure what was happened. I think any damage for declare to accept undo , i am sure it is possible he made :misclick at least once. And i think none want to win by an opps misclick.
2. As TD to blacklist the players who dont accept "undo" in my opinion is too much. But each host have his tournament rules, i hope the host made them known. I would suggest to all TDs to warn the player first / to replace him (not his partner who is dummy), I believe that a player must be blacklisted for worst things.

Aurora

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users