Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to a double

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-January-29, 03:21

I assume you agree with the 2H bid (if not, please state what you would do otherwise). What do you do now?

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-January-29, 04:26

I would have bid 2C and raised a M to 3. You have a 7 loser hand after all.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-29, 04:30

As I recall the forum concensus is that 2NT by doubler would already be forcing so I am not quite sure what 3NT would mean. Maybe doubler has 18-20 or maybe a bit more, or maybe he has a 17-18 count with long diamonds. In any case I pass now. If partner wanted me to bid on with something like this he could have made a cuebid instead.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-January-29, 04:35

If I could have cue-bid without creating a game-force I'd have done that, partly because a 4-4 spade fit is likely to play better than a 5-3 heart fit, and partly to keep partner's hand concealed.

Now I pass. Partner could have bid 2NT, forcing, so whatever he's got he's not interested in playing in either major. He could have something like Axx xx AKQJx Axx.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-January-29, 06:15

I would had bid 3 to show 5 of them.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-January-29, 10:24

View PostFluffy, on 2013-January-29, 06:15, said:

I could have sworn that you have posted, some time ago, that you used this jump to show 6. I'm too lazy to look it up.

It isn't the mainstream treatment in NA, whether to show 5 or 6, but we've had this discussion before. I think in NA, the standard would be 2, with the cuebid being reserved for slightly better hands. Having said that, if ever there was a hand to stretch slightly, to make the cuebid, this is it so I have no strong feelings. Andy's point about finding the 4-4 spade fit, should partner be 4=3, is valid.

As for the OP, I agree with everyone who passes, on the same grounds as them: partner didn't need to bid 3N. We should be safe whatever he has.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2013-January-29, 12:06

3NT says we play 3NT.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-January-29, 13:22

View Postmikeh, on 2013-January-29, 10:24, said:

I could have sworn that you have posted, some time ago, that you used this jump to show 6. I'm too lazy to look it up.

It isn't the mainstream treatment in NA, whether to show 5 or 6, but we've had this discussion before. I think in NA, the standard would be 2, with the cuebid being reserved for slightly better hands. Having said that, if ever there was a hand to stretch slightly, to make the cuebid, this is it so I have no strong feelings. Andy's point about finding the 4-4 spade fit, should partner be 4=3, is valid.

As for the OP, I agree with everyone who passes, on the same grounds as them: partner didn't need to bid 3N. We should be safe whatever he has.

With 6 card major I bid game

#9 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-January-30, 08:25

Partner held a 4234 18 count, which made 9 tricks, but 11 were available in spades (matchpoint scoring).

I didn't like her 3NT bid. 2NT would've been plenty, after which I would bid a forcing 3S and we'd get to 4S.

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-January-30, 10:30

I'd pass 3 NT. Partner has made the decision where to play the hand and I see no reason to contradict partner. If partner has masterminded the hand and guessed wrong that is partner's problem.

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-January-30, 10:43

View PostFluffy, on 2013-January-29, 06:15, said:

Note that after a 3 bid, doubler has no way to get back to spades: with 4234 he has to bid 3N and now we are doomed to a poor mp result.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-January-31, 04:45

View PostFluffy, on 2013-January-29, 13:22, said:

With 6 card major I bid game

After (1H) x (P)
You bid 4S on

xxxxxx
xxx
xx
xx
and a zero count? Hooley Dooley!
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-January-31, 04:46

View Postmr1303, on 2013-January-30, 08:25, said:

Partner held a 4234 18 count, which made 9 tricks, but 11 were available in spades (matchpoint scoring).

I didn't like her 3NT bid. 2NT would've been plenty, after which I would bid a forcing 3S and we'd get to 4S.

And I think your 2H bid sucks!

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 06:34

If this is an ATB, the blame should be shared:

- 2 is clearly better than 2 (leading to 2-2; 3-4).

- 2NT (showing a balanced 18-19/20 and forcing) is clearly better than 3NT (which means: "You have shown 8-11 with hearts. That is all the info I need to decide that 3NT is the right contract.").

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users