Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interesting Squeeze EBU London Year End Swiss Pairs Board 9

#1 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-23, 11:41

This hand came up in the Swiss Pairs (Session 2, Board 9) at the London Year End Congress - I'm posting it because it interested me, and I hope it might interest others:

At our table it was played in 3 by N/S, but the interesting contract is 4 by W. The s are frozen and there aren't the entries to set up the , so it's hard to see where the 10th trick comes from, but after ruffing a spade and running the trumps the following position arrives:

Now the last squeezes both N and S in the minors. N must throw a to protect the position, then a goes from dummy and to keep the guard S must pitch a . Then to Q, A and 10 to K.

I'm very far from being expert in squeezes, but it didn't seem to be a simple type and I'd be interested to learn the classification from those who are.

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-23, 13:16

It is not a very practical line since it fails even if north has A9x (not to mention AJx), since he would pop with the DA and play a club and now you lose either a diamond or a club at the end.

That said, I don't know what it is called. I think of this type of position as a double sqz in the same suits but I'm sure there's some terminology.

#3 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-23, 13:29

Thanks for the response, Justin. It came to me as a double dummy problem - someone raised it the next day - so I didn't have to concern myself with the right line to take at the table.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-January-23, 19:39

PeterAlan writes " This hand came up in the Swiss Pairs (Session 2, Board 9) at the London Year End Congress - I'm posting it because it interested me, and I hope it might interest others:
At our table it was played in 3 by N/S, but the interesting contract is 4 by W. The s are frozen and there aren't the entries to set up the , so it's hard to see where the 10th trick comes from, but after ruffing a spade and running the trumps the following position arrives:"

"Now the last squeezes both N and S in the minors. N must throw a to protect the position, then a goes from dummy and to keep the guard S must pitch a . Then to Q, A and 10 to K.
I'm very far from being expert in squeezes, but it didn't seem to be a simple type and I'd be interested to learn the classification from those who are."

(Slightly simplified diagram)
Maybe it's an unusual and pretty vice-squeeze variation

#5 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-24, 04:50

Thank you, Nigel. I thought it was interesting that the suit was frozen for everyone, with each defender not only unable to play it but also unable to discard from it without allowing declarer to establish a second trick by force, and that this defence is finally broken up by the squeeze in the endgame.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users