Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

rating system to implement a rating system based on hand success against others

#1 User is offline   q0987 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-January-20, 04:14

I'm not a BBO masterpoint member or a ACBL member. I gave my points up awhile back because I found that many people that were life masters were worse players then I was. it seemed to me that masterpoints were not a very accurate way of showing a persons strength. But I have played here now for awhile and I was wondering if there was a way to demonstrate a persons bridge strength by a 'hand history account.' Personally I rate myself as an advanced player but I do have some weakness that I would like to be rid of. Playing with stronger player would help a lot. But then it is hard to tell the good players from the bad. In go there is what they call the 'ladder system,' and it is used to show how a person is playing against others. Maybe BBO can create something similar.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-20, 05:27

If you check the "General BBO Discussion" forum, you will see that this has been proposed many times. BBO Management does not want to implement any sort of rating system, so while you can find some discussion of how practical or impractical this would be, it is moot as regards BBO.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-January-20, 06:46

Please search the forums first. Each year several people suggest to use a rating system, and each and everyone of them gets rejected because of many reasons:
- a rating system isn't accurate (you can find threads which explain why)
- rating systems encourage cheating
- the possible gains aren't worth the effort
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-January-20, 09:51

Mods please lock this thread before it all starts over again !! :ph34r:
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-20, 16:35

I've locked the thread, since it is indeed a rehash of something discussed many times before.

q0987, welcome to the forums. Please notice that we have separate sections of the forum for BBO-specific discussion and non-BBO discussion of bridge in general.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users