BBO Discussion Forums: Gambling 3 NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gambling 3 NT What are defensive biddng options?

#1 User is offline   zasanya 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Chess,Scrabble,Bridge

Posted 2013-January-15, 21:17

W Dealer NS Vul IMP
p-p-3NT-?

3NT Gambling shows long minor.
Questions
1.What will you bid with your favourite partner? Please give your agreements in different situations.
2.If you choose to double and west and north pass and east bids 4 what would you bid? Again much obliged if you could elaborate.
3.Do you think the following structure is playable?
Double = general take out showing opening hand values and no biddable major.
4= Both majors can be 5/4.If they take out in minor advancer bids his better major or doubles to show equal length
4D= Transfer to H
4H= transfer to Spades
Aniruddha
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius".

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-January-16, 00:57

What would I bid over a gambling 3NT? I would pass. If West pulls to 4D, then I will x for takeout. Else they play 3NT.

.If you choose to double and west and north pass and east bids 4♦ what would you bid? Again much obliged if you could elaborate.
This situation cannot exist if you are playing decent players. If you x and the partner of the 3NT player pulls it ok, but here East cannot pull. His partner makes the decision, not him.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-January-16, 02:38

Why do you want to play transfers? It puts the wrong hand on lead, and the only gain is on the rare hands where you want to show a second suit at the fivel-level.

If you want to play artificial methods, something like MultiLandy is better - 4 majors, 4 one major, 4M two-suited with a minor. Or it might be better to play 4M natural and 4 as a major-minor two-suiter.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 04:36

View Postgnasher, on 2013-January-16, 02:38, said:

Why do you want to play transfers? It puts the wrong hand on lead, and the only gain is on the rare hands where you want to show a second suit at the fivel-level.

If you want to play artificial methods, something like MultiLandy is better - 4 majors, 4 one major, 4M two-suited with a minor. Or it might be better to play 4M natural and 4 as a major-minor two-suiter.

I play Multi Landy. The points for me are:

1) We need a method for showing one and two suiters.

2) It's what I play against 1NT.

If I were designing a method from scratch, it would probably be different, but there is not much to be gained by pursuing perfection. It's a low frequency position, so having a method I am comfortable with is the key.

On the actual hand I would double 3NT and then double 4 for take-out. For me, the double of 3NT shows a take-out double of whatever minor they hold - not 5 defensive tricks. If you think about what you are trying to achieve in this sequence, it isn't taking 3NT one off. The huge penalties are going to come when partner is stacked in their suit, but when he isn't, your focus should be on constructive bidding.

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-16, 05:31

1. I would double to show values
2. I would double for take out
3. I would play natural, I am not too impressed by the ability to find 4/4 fits while expecting bad breaks,
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-January-17, 04:46

Double twice

I prefer quite a natural approach, where the first Dbl shows values and lets them bid their suit, and continuations once their suit is known are just like they opened 4m. It's a waste of one of the immediate 4m overcalls, but it's such a rare opening that I don't mind.
Remark: Dbl followed by pass suggests penalizing them (because a 2nd Dbl is takeout).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-January-23, 06:44

Here is another option from Marvin French based on Ripstra which may or may not be of interest. I wonder how many other 1NT defences can be adapted for this purpose!
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-23, 07:31

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-January-23, 06:44, said:

Here is another option from Marvin French based on Ripstra which may or may not be of interest. I wonder how many other 1NT defences can be adapted for this purpose!

I've had Ripstra as my defense to Gambling 3NT for most of my bridge career. It (well the 4m part of it) hasn't come up yet, but it is easy to remember. Since I learnt the convention when I was a Dutchie in the USA it was even easy to remember the name.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users