• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Computer freezes My screen/mouse freezes on BBO

#1 User is offline   cherrydown 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-November-28, 10:24

I have been using BBO woth Firefox for the past year or so. In the past few days a new phenomena occurs - only on BBO.
I get into a game, bid and then suddenly freeze. My mouse will not move.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Cheers

#2 User is offline   marcD 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-28, 10:50

View Postcherrydown, on 2012-November-28, 10:24, said:

I have been using BBO woth Firefox for the past year or so. In the past few days a new phenomena occurs - only on BBO.

Cheers

yes happens only with FF (Chrome is ok ) : this seems to be a flash issue . I have seen a few threads around this but no resolution so far

#3 User is offline   TaylorSp 

• Pip

Posted 2012-December-04, 09:50

Hi,

The same thing is happening almost every time now with me as well using FF. How do we fix this BBO??????

TaylorSp

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-04, 10:08

What OS version and FF version are you all using?

#5 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-04, 10:10

My research suggests that it is not clear if this is a Flash bug or a Firefox bug, but I am fairly certain it is not a BBO bug.

That means that BBO is not going to be able to do anything about this - you are going to have to wait until whoever is responsible for this problem figures it out.

In the meantime your easiest workaround is to use a different browser. If you do a web search for "flash firefox freeze" you will see some other proposed workarounds but some of these are quite technical in nature and I am not in a position to state with any confidence that any of these proposed solutions actually work.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#6 User is offline   dj13 

• Pip

Posted 2012-December-10, 17:37

Cheers

Yes I am having the same problem. Computer Tech even installed an earlier version of Adobe Flash Dec 2. It worked okay for a day or two and then the same problems returned, cards play in slow motion, screen freezes, can't type in the chat line, and program does not respond to mouse.

#7 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-10, 17:54

http://www.google.com/chrome

Should take you to a browser download screen that matches your operating system.

On a Mac, try Safari, or better still, see above.

#8 User is offline   lucky48 

• Pip

Posted 2012-December-15, 21:29

I also have been having this same problem for the past few days. My computer uses FF and Windows7. I have tonight downloaded Google Chrome and will try to use that OS whenever I play bridge. Will let you know in a few days whether the freezing problem reoccurs or not on Chrome.

#9 User is offline   lucky48 

• Pip

Posted 2012-December-20, 19:23

Cheers

Same happened to me. Contacted BBO. They told me how to solve the problem and also suggested using Google Chrome as my browser. I downloaded Chrome as suggested by another in this forum and have been playing bridge without any problem for the last 4 days. I use my FF browser for all other internet functions.
Good luck

#10 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-20, 22:57

I started getting it last night; It looks like a flash problem (if you kill only the flash plugin, FF will resume working normally). I've updated my flash player to the latest and greatest and so far it hasn't returned.

#11 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-December-29, 19:07

Had this problem repeatedly this past week. In my case the "latest and greatest" Flash was what seemed to be causing the problem, so I have manually reinstalled Flash 10.3, and the problem has not recurred.

Also went back for a time to the old download version, which I still had on my computer -- and got reminded once again how much I wished BBO had continued to develop it. It took a good five years before the web version was even remotely comparable in usability, and it still came in handy as a backup.

#12 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-29, 22:46

I think it might be something else - I upgraded from 10.3 to the newest one and it seemed to fix the problem, then last night it returned again. Maybe the cache fills up or something, so just changing versions "fixes" it?

#13 User is offline   btour 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 11:25

I have noticed this problem also, and even when using chrome. My brother is having a haard time with it using FF on MS OS. It seems to happen once an hour now. He is losing his connection during tourneys. I am trying to get him to use Chrome only. I have tried having him turn off card animation. No luck. I too suspect a cache problem. Is there a way to increase cache space for flash/ or ro limit cache storage for flash? Where to find it? In the browser or elsewhere?

#14 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2013-January-04, 09:59

I have analyzed the problem - if you downgrade to Flash 10.3. you will be allright. Adobe seems to have forgotten that you shouldn't fix things that aren't broke.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-04, 11:22

View Postbtour, on 2013-January-03, 11:25, said:

I too suspect a cache problem. Is there a way to increase cache space for flash/ or ro limit cache storage for flash? Where to find it? In the browser or elsewhere?

I don't know if it will help, but to adjust Flash cache space, right-click somewhere in the Flash app and select Settings, then go to the Storage tab.

#16 User is offline   btour 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-January-04, 14:02

Thank you for the replies. I cannot find a flash player on my Mac. It must be rolled into the browsers.

I have my brother on the "old BBO" windows program. I hope that will solve the problem. But I have him also changing to use chrome.

Firefox used to be a great browser. So much is changing with video now as it morphs to HD that legacy OS and browsers are being rendered unusable. Pity. Soon the internet will be just as TV, with all the ads.

#17 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-04, 21:52

View PostGerben42, on 2013-January-04, 09:59, said:

I have analyzed the problem - if you downgrade to Flash 10.3. you will be allright. Adobe seems to have forgotten that you shouldn't fix things that aren't broke.
Could you provide more details?
Also, isn't flash 10.3 basically a collection of security holes?

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-06, 01:39

View Postbtour, on 2013-January-04, 14:02, said:

Thank you for the replies. I cannot find a flash player on my Mac. It must be rolled into the browsers.

It's rolled into Chrome. For other browsers you have to download Flash Player from adobe.com.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-14, 08:36

We've been trying to reproduce this problem with no luck. I suspect it's related to which extensions people have installed. Could the posters with this symptom list their extensions and plug-ins?

#20 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 09:53

I apparently have quite a few. Using Firefox 18.0, I have the following installed.
Plugins:
Posted Image
Extensions:
Posted Image

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users