• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

insomnia

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-13, 04:09

disappointing team result + going down when I could make = insomnia
Can you help me cure my disease. All healers (beg to expert) welcome!

2=weak with , if only 5c, then also a 4cMajor
2=do you have 4cM?
2=4c
3=no 4c, probably 4c
3N=it was not agreed, but hoped that partner had some points for asking the major instead of preempting 3

LHO leads 8.
What is you plan for the first tricks?

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-13, 04:20

after my insanity check quickly ask the opponents what is their lead agreeements with H8x in spades.

cover and win K unblock 10 under Q and enter dummy with A to play a diamond towards the king

#3 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-13, 04:40

View PostFluffy, on 2013-January-13, 04:20, said:

after my insanity check quickly ask the opponents what is their lead agreeements with H8x in spades.

Lead is 3th/5th, should lead small from H8x, but their leads are some mistery.

cover and win K unblock 10 under Q and enter dummy with A to play a diamond towards the king
I wanted to verify how obvious this was. I missed unblocking the T. :(
RHO had Jxxx of .
I'll hang a post-it in my room with this combination until I do it automatically

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-13, 11:22

You should not be cashing a high club from your hand anyways. When entries permit you should routinely start with the ace of clubs then the ten of clubs in case of 5-0 clubs.

On this hand if you win the spade in your hand since the 7 of clubs is in dummy you are probably blocked from taking 5 club tricks without the DA on, and if LHO has 5 clubs you can just survive king of clubs unblocking the ten because you can lead a club towards the 7 then drive the club, but as a matter of technique you should get used to cashing the ace first. For instance if you had KQ972 opp AT3, not cashing the ace would be a big error.

I'm sure fluffy recognized this and just cashed the king first since it is better for an overtrick chance on this hand with Jxxx of clubs on (if you can run clubs and play a spade to the ace and run the DJ), but I think it is a position that people mess up a lot even without these specific spots.

edit: lol thats not an overtrick, its to make the contract... sorry! /lolcountingtricks

#5 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-13, 11:55

Suppose the play starts:
8 (3rd/5th) covered by 9, J and K
K, unblocking T
to A, LHO discarding 2 (lavinthal)
Do you cash first? What do you discard from dummy and how do you continue?
Fluffy said to play to the K, Justin to run J...what is best?

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-January-13, 12:08

Depends if the ace is on or the queen ;) It's just a guess.

With LHO having a stiff club, perhaps the best play is a low spade, it is very likely RHO has QJx imo. LHO having 3 spades and 1 club and leading a spade is not that likely.

#7 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-13, 15:25

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-January-13, 12:08, said:

Depends if the ace is on or the queen ;) It's just a guess.

With LHO having a stiff club, perhaps the best play is a low spade, it is very likely RHO has QJx imo. LHO having 3 spades and 1 club and leading a spade is not that likely.
Easy thinking. I should be able to do that :rolleyes:
...RHO had QJ doubleton.
Thanks both for the comments!!
(It made me thinking of the offer you have done some time ago to analyse a number of all day hands. There is more in a hand then the non-experts see. More is known then we think)

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-January-14, 02:24

Bro I do not underastand why you played like this.

Starting with the Q or K in hand caters for 1 thing and thats to see if LHO has 5 of them, which then you will need K to be entry but even then you don't have 9 tricks. As Justin said you are shooting yourself in the leg if RHO has 5 of them. And you are unblocking the T, which makes your play a no win play. Now even if LHO has 5 clubs and K was running, and LHO led spade from H8xx, you will not be able to make enough club tricks.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 07:53

I wished I didn't have to explain this :S, since my plan was to finese LHO for H8x (perhaps for an overtrick), if my plan failed I would only have A left as an entry, I didn't want opponents blowing up my last entry before I had tested 1-4 clubs. I failed to combine my pre-analysis with my line. Checking the full play this is only really relevant if the play starts K-A-J-spade through, finese and lose and a heart back. When a diamond to the king is played, it doesn't matter much, since both fineses losing means that we are playing for less undertricks already.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users