Where is partner taking us?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-January-07, 08:49

2 gf 5+, 2H 5+, what now?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-07, 09:20

4 , luckily I am not 4504 in which case I would feal really unlucky...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 09:22

jillybean, on 2013-January-07, 08:49, said:

2 gf 5+, 2H 5+, what now?

I would have bid 2 over 2. I think that makes it easier but we probably still get to the same crisis. After 2, partner rebids diamonds, I rebid hearts, partner bids 4.

I bid 5. I have hearts spades and clubs, listed in decreasing order of length. I have bid these suits, in that same order. Sounds to me as if I have shown 4=6=0=3 pattern. Now it is partner's problem.

However, I prefer that the 2 bid (the one I would have made) show about a king beyond what I needed to open the hand. So, with that agreement and with that bid, I will feel a little better about having done the hand justice. After 1-2-2-3, I don't think 3 really shows four spades. It's clear that partner dose not have four spades after his 3 bid, so I think 3 sounds more like spade values to see if pard would like to try 3NT.

Bottom line there is that i think my proposed sequence is clearer, but I would still have to choose a call. I choose 5.

As to what he is telling me, I think he is telling me that he wants to play in a minor. If he next bids 5 I am going to pass.
Ken

#4 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-07, 09:32

I cant understand why you didnt bid 2 on your second turn. But since your partner didnt bid 2 himself, he doesnt have 4 of them.
If he had solid diamonds, he would have either bid 4 over 2 or 4 over 3.
He doesnt want to play NT else he would have bid 3/4/6NT.
He never supported hears, so he cant have slam try in hearts since we showed only 5 of them.

So the only thing that is left is choice of games. And I would choose 4

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-January-07, 10:09

2 is an option but in our system I believe it is better to begin to show the 6th , if partner has 4 he will bid them over 2.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 10:19

jillybean, on 2013-January-07, 10:09, said:

2 is an option but in our system I believe it is better to begin to show the 6th , if partner has 4 he will bid them over 2.

Sounds reasonable. But if that is so, what is the point of opener bidding 3?

I would probably just bid 3NT, hoping my extra values make up for the misfit. If partner bids 4 over that, I would raise to 5. I'm not getting slam happy with a void in partner's twice bid suit.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 10:21

4 should NOT be natural. It's a slam try for one of your suits. Of course who knows if your partner is aware of this. If you think not then 4 as a safety play is reasonable.

I would a million times rather rebid 2 than 2 btw.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-07, 10:59

lalldonn, on 2013-January-07, 10:21, said:

4 should NOT be natural. It's a slam try for one of your suits. Of course who knows if your partner is aware of this. If you think not then 4 as a safety play is reasonable.

I would a million times rather rebid 2 than 2 btw.

A slam try in one of my suits? When is he planning on telling me which suit? It seems hard to believe he has suddenly discovered a bunch of spades in his hand so I suppose if we are going to play this in slam in my suit it will be in hearts. I don't mind, I have a decent hand, but I will await the dummy with some anxiety.

Given that I recognize this as a slam try in one of my suits, and I can always learn to do so, what then do I do?
Ken

#9 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 11:38

Given that she seems to be playing 3 natural it seems she thinks partner hasn't denied spades. I would of course think partner has denied spades and this is specifically a slam try in hearts (the 3 bid promising a sixth heart since it was natural). So bid whatever you think you are worth. I would say it's worth 4 as a last train try for slam, but as mentioned I wouldn't risk such a thing if I thought partner might think 4 is natural.

Rule you should use: No new suits on the 4 level are natural in 2/1 auctions. How else can partner make a slam try in hearts anyway?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 11:48

By agreement a 2 rebid would show a full blown reverse in my partnership to put us on the slam track opposite a min 2 bid that denied 4 spades 95% of the time in our style. No way I think that's perfect but it works for us.

Especially at mp's I'm bidding 4 and expect to make it even if I have 3 trump losers. Pard is not barred from carrying on.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-07, 17:17

lalldonn, on 2013-January-07, 11:38, said:

Rule you should use: No new suits on the 4 level are natural in 2/1 auctions. How else can partner make a slam try in hearts anyway?

I like this rule a lot. Usually, since I rarely have detailed agreements, I like to just puzzle it out. But I can see the point of simply setting this up as a General Rule. In particular, with my preferred beginning of 1-2-2-3-3, this 3 bid is the first that responded has heard of my sixth heart.So he may well now be more in tune with that suit. In the OP auction and from subsequent remarks, apparently 1-2-2 promised six. It then is harder to see, after 3-3, why responder now has discovered he wants to explore for a heart slam but did not bid 3 over 2. And I still find it unlikely we are to play in spades. Nonetheless, whatever 4 might be looking for, I think that agreeing that, by the Rule, it is not natural is apt to get us home.

OK Suppose I agree that it is not natural in the OP auction. I have rebid hearts, showing six per agreement but not showing any extras. I can't see that my 3 showed extras. I have extras. I guess I bid 4. As you mention, a Last Train 4 seems very risky if there is any possibility of not being on the same page.

This all brings to mind Simon's Unlucky Expert. No doubt 4 is a fine bid, providing that partner has the same understanding of it as the bidder has.
Ken

#12 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-January-07, 18:04

:P You have largely undisclosed extra HCP since you did forget to bid 2. Pard is sniffing for slam (probably). He/she is the captain of this auction, like it or not. Imho, bid 4 and await developments.

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-January-07, 19:11

The 2 rebid promises 5+ not 6.

With a 4523 hand I would happily bid 2 showing 4+5+ and a King more than minimum. Given that partner has shown length in
my void, (2 promises 5+) I decided it was better not to encourage and rebid 2.

With 2 card support partner will raise hearts, with 4 card he will bid 2. After 3 I know partner does not have 4 spades but if I bid 3 hearts
I think I am putting him in an difficult position if he does not have a spade stopper for NT.

4 is "tell me more", I'm not sure where we are going, partner knows I have 6 so bidding them again seemed futile.
(still learning)

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-January-07, 20:30

4C should be a slam try in H. I agree with your 2H rebid by the way, though this hand is at the top level for that bid. The void in partner's suit suggests that the hand should be downgraded.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-January-07, 22:34

the hog, on 2013-January-07, 20:30, said:

4C should be a slam try in H.

and how do you respond Ron?
(still learning)

#16 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-January-07, 22:37

jillybean, on 2013-January-07, 22:34, said:

and how do you respond Ron?

I would bid 4S over 4C.
Now all that is assuming that I am playing with my regular partner. As has been pointed out above some may not even realise that 4C should agree Hearts.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 02:59

jillybean, on 2013-January-07, 10:09, said:

If 2 by opener doesn't require extras in your system and was an option as you said, 2 by responder may not be natural all the time. Consider this.

AKx xx AQTxx xxx

You may of course bid 2 NT with this, which is forcing, but if final contract will be 3 NT (since 2 didn't promise 6 of them) responder may regret grabbing NT from wrong side. I would personally bid 2 with this hand over 2, but i know my pd can not have 4 card spades when he bid 2 to show 6 of them, eventhough in your explenation it says it doesn;t promise 6 hearts, so i don't understand why you didn't start with 2 when your system allows you to bid it without extras.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 07:04

4 is a strong bid with no clear direction, 2263 ir 2172 could bid this way.
Since I haven't shown my good 6h suit yet I will do it now, 4 looks too weak with my good hand, so 5 or 6 should be bid now. 6 is too commital IMO, we could have everything except AQJ wich would be really unlucky, but its possible.

#19 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-January-08, 07:21

Partner definitely doesn't have 3 card heart support, so I'm not sure how great his slam try can be (agreeing hearts). I think 4C is a choice of games bid, given that the Ox might suspect that I lack a club stopper given my 3S bid.

#20 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-January-08, 07:30

4H.

3D basically did set trump, 3NT still being a possible end contract,
3S was only value showing, 4C was a cue, so is 4H.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users