H- K43
D- KQ975
C -9

South
A- 752
H- Q952
D- 6
C- AKQJ8

THe contact was 3NT with the Spade Q lead, Partner ducked? and played the 9 on the continuation. East won the ten and returned a club. Partner won and led a heart to the King and Ace. A second club came back and she then led a diamond to the King and Ace. East persisted with a third club and partner, having just studied double squeezes was sure one was present, as she cashed her last two clubs. She was still wondering after the game why it did not work, and I had to explain it was RFL and there was no way to execute it(Dummy is squeezed first)

The other hands
West
Qx
Jxx
JTxxx
XXX

East
KTxx
ATx
Ax
xxxx

Anyway, I think there may be a better line of play. Any suggestions?
Please do not complain about my opinion. I don't have the time to convince you I'm right.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-June-19, 21:28

There is a big problem here... your partner's low heart to trick four might have stranded the entire club suit, if the heart ace was with LHO.

This is not an easy hand, but I believe the correct line is to win the SPADE ACE at trick one, although on the actual hand, ducking the first two spades works as well with careful timing.

After winning the first spade, I play a low heart towards my queen.. the queen winning in this case. This brings my winners to 7 tricks if clubs run (5C+1S+1H) and I can force a diamond winner. Now we are somewhere. We have heart/spade as potential endplay on RHO. After the queen of hearts wins, I run 5 clubs, throwing 3D and 1S from dummy. Then lead a diamond East will win the ACE and return a Diamond, but I then just exit with SPADE JACK. East can win two spades for their 2nd and 3rd trick, but then has to play from Ax into dummy's Kx in hearts.

If East had 3 Diamonds and 4 clubs... this would be a CLE squeeze, as cashing the clubs strips the third diamond out of his hand, so he can be thrown in twice, once in diamonds, then again in spades. If he keeps 3 diamonds, he has to stiff the Spade king or the heart ace, and you just duck the major. Once comes to 2 diamonds (or being dealt only 2 Diamonds), then instead of ducking a diamond, you go ahead with the Diamonds play.

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   lenze 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-June-20, 08:07

Hi Ben: Thanks for your input. I agree, that winning the first spade and leading a heart from dummy has to be a better play. Also, I had not looked at the hand enough to consider the CLE possiblity. Good insight.

Thanks again.
Please do not complain about my opinion. I don't have the time to convince you I'm right.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users