• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Break in Tempo Appeal

#61 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-25, 13:06

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-January-18, 18:46, said:

yep. and the on-line site for the casebooks is available, too. They keep promising it will be updated, but Spring 2011 is the most recent.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who works at ACBL headquarters whose responsibilites include overseeing the publishing the NABC casebooks. When she was hired last fall she found a backlog in this area. She explained to me that there are many steps along the way from the hand written notes the AC provides to the final published product. Lawyers, editors, and expert panelists can all introduce delays.

#62 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-25, 14:16

View Postjh51, on 2013-January-25, 13:06, said:

For what it's worth, I have a friend who works at ACBL headquarters whose responsibilites include overseeing the publishing the NABC casebooks. When she was hired last fall she found a backlog in this area. She explained to me that there are many steps along the way from the hand written notes the AC provides to the final published product. Lawyers, editors, and expert panelists can all introduce delays.

Yeh, I got that on a thread last summer; and that progress was being made. It hasn't taken a year and a half in the past, so they probably just lost interest.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#63 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-26, 14:07

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-17, 19:39, said:

Well, I imagine you've served on far more committees than I have, but if my case one is not a description of how committees decide, pray tell how do they?

I have served on a few committees and chaired a few too and none of them were decided the way you describe.

When there is a disagreement between members, we try to figure out what causes the disagreement. It could be a difference in interpretation of the facts. We will make sure that we get the facts clarified. The difference could be in the interpretation of the laws. We will get the TD to interpret the laws. And finally, there could be a difference in judgement.

It is very rare for good players to have entirely different judgement. In those cases, there are arguments for both positions and all members know most of them. Some individual members balance the arguments in favor of one position, other individual members balance the arguments in favor of the other. Then the question is how the AC -as a team- balances the arguments.

It may well be that one member is strongly convinced that he TD had it right and that the appeal doesn't have merit, while the three other members understood the TD decision, but they would have ruled differently. If you would take a vote, this would mean that the TD decision would be overturned.

But committees are not there for voting. They are there to solve the problem. And while voting may be fair, it rarely leads to a fair decision, most of the time it will lead to the dictatorship of the majority. So, instead of voting, the members discuss. The positions get closer to each other, because there is understanding for the arguments that are exchanged. This could mean that one or more of the members is convinced or it could mean that the positions drift closer to each other. In the last case, the decision could end up to uphold the TD decision, but to return the deposit.

This may seem like a 'compromise' at the end of a bargaining process (I'll give in a little if you give in a little), but it isn't. The members don't have anything to bargain, because they don't have anything at stake in the process. So they can freely discuss and come to a good decision based on the judgement of the entire AC, rather than on a tally of the judgements of its members.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#64 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-28, 14:31

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-January-25, 14:16, said:

Yeh, I got that on a thread last summer; and that progress was being made. It hasn't taken a year and a half in the past, so they probably just lost interest.

Not last summer - it was October.

#65 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-28, 15:02

View Postjh51, on 2013-January-28, 14:31, said:

Not last summer - it was October.

Well, excuse me. It still feels like summer here, in October.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#66 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-28, 20:57

Maybe so, but summer runs from June to August. October is fall, or autumn.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#67 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 14:43

And the Summer 2011 casebook is now available on the ACBL website. Now you can start whining about Fall 2011.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users