BBO Discussion Forums: Is this strong 3361 worth a 2C opening? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this strong 3361 worth a 2C opening?

Poll: Is this strong 3361 worth a 2C opening? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

With this hand, you open with...

1. 1D (21 votes [95.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 95.45%

2. 2C (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Other (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-03, 07:33

Matchpoints.

What do you open W/R 1st seat?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-03, 08:05

1 for me, but the rebid after a 1M response is a well-known problem. I need just a little bit more for a 2 opening. After 2 you can show a semiforcing with a major, but with a minor you can only show gameforcing hands.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-03, 08:09

This is one of the hands why some people invite tools to handle the Bridge world death hands... or to have openings that are made for hands between a strong NT and a GF....
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 08:13

1, I will GF anyway over 1M, which I can do with an artificial 2N rebid the way I play. AJxx and 10x/xxx is enough to make 5 excellent for example.

#5 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 08:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-January-03, 08:05, said:

I need just a little bit more for a 2 opening.

Are there (semi) objective standards here, or is it just a feel? Is the hand not strong enough offensively?...defensively?...something else?

Not trolling, just trying to delve a bit deeper into how good players think about the 2C threshold.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-January-03, 08:33

View Postbd71, on 2013-January-03, 08:27, said:

Are there (semi) objective standards here, or is it just a feel? Is the hand not strong enough offensively?...defensively?...something else?

I expect 3+ defensive tricks which is fine, I would occasionaly open 2 with a bit less than that. But if dummy is broke I count only 8 tricks in a diamond contract and for 3NT I need some help also.

Basically I need to be very close to having game in my own hand. If partner doesn't have enough to respond to 1 then I will rather be in 1 than in game, and that is the main reason why I open 1.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-03, 10:37

You didn't mention system, so I choose Romex, and I open 1NT. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-03, 10:44

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-03, 10:37, said:

You didn't mention system, so I choose Romex, and I open 1NT. :P

Not unhappy with a benji or reverse benji 2/ or a multi or acol 2 showing the hand as 8 playing tricks in diamonds either.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-January-03, 16:58

The main problem with 2 is that most (all I know, but I don't know all) would play that even over an immediate negative response (and many don't use that) a rebid by opener of 3 is forcing.

If we knew that opening this hand 2 would allow us to play 3 opposite a bad hand, we'd probably be reasonably happy, but it doesn't.

Of course, opening 1 has its own considerable downside should partner respond 1M. But sometimes the opps bid before partner, and sometimes partner surprises us pleasantly and sometimes we land on our feet anyway.

Of course, a number of partnerships do have methods for this hand-type, which became known as the Bridge World Nightmare hand. The BW has an expert poll every month and variants on this hand would show up once or twice a year for many years. The posters were constrained to using a method known as Bridge World Standard, which was in turn based upon surveys of readers every few years. It has traditionally been close to whatever constituted East Coast Expert Standard in the US, and thus has never had a gadget that would handle this nightmare.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 17:28

If I couldn't open 1 my second choice would be 2NT.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#11 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2013-January-03, 17:34

View Postmikeh, on 2013-January-03, 16:58, said:

Of course, opening 1 has its own considerable downside should partner respond 1M.

Depends on the M. If the response is 1 then a fake reverse will usually be okay. However, if it's 1 then we do really have a serious problem. It's worth noting that a lot of the Bridge World Nightmare Hands, when partner's response is 1 and we have three-card support, can be handled with fake reverses.

Opening 2 here would be beyond the pale.

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-03, 20:55

View Postbd71, on 2013-January-03, 08:27, said:

Not trolling, just trying to delve a bit deeper into how good players think about the 2C threshold.

To be honest, for me, this hand is only "close" to 2 insofar as I would grit my teeth and do it with an extra ace. At a rough count, I have about 8 tricks in diamonds, and NT is even iffier than that. Since I play 2 as actually game-forcing unless I rebid 2NT, I want to be a lot closer to actually being able to make a game than that. Semi objective standards? Well, I would like to be able to count at least 9 tricks (by a somewhat but not very pessimistic estimate, i.e. assume your partner has a small doubleton in your long suit and it breaks normally) in a major or 9½ tricks in a minor (AQx for instance would be 1½ tricks, but of course you need entries so KJTx really needs to be discounted more).

Less objectively but perhaps more usefully, try to visualise some hands partner might have, concentrating on ones with which he would pass a 1-level opening. Say he has a small singleton in your suit and a random Q and a J. How do you like getting to 3NT?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users