• You cannot reply to this topic

Missing alert

#1 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-December-26, 16:24

Not sure if this is actually a simple ruling, but the TD took quite a while to make a decision. Here it goes.

After the deal West asks South what she held, because she didn't have any s. Apparently NS play 1NT Comic, meaning that it's either 15-17 balanced or any 8 card suit. This was also written on the CC, but North forgot to alert 1NT. West claims he was damaged and would've bid 4 if he had all the information. North claims that they would defend 5 in that case, because he realized it was an 8 card suit when South pulled the penalty Dbl (2nd Dbl) and the vulnerability was favorable. South claims she could've made 5.

What's your ruling?

If it matters, these are the frequencies, this score not included:
550 3
130 1
110 1
100 3
-50 3
-100 5
-140 1
-300 1
-620 4

Edit 1: for those who don't want to see the full play of the hand, the result was 4= after various blunders by both declarer and defenders.
Edit 2: DD EW can only make 3. DD NS can only make 4.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-26, 16:34

View PostFree, on 2012-December-26, 16:24, said:

he realized it was an 8 card suit when South pulled the penalty Dbl and the vulnerability was favorable.

And yet he made a second penalty double, rather than raising.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2012-December-26, 16:39

View Postgordontd, on 2012-December-26, 16:34, said:

The first Dbl wasn't meant as penalty, the 2nd Dbl was.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-26, 16:46

View Postgordontd, on 2012-December-26, 16:34, said:

I presumed from the absence of alerts that both doubles were takeout, although I don't know the alerting rules in Belgium. At least South only passes when he has the 15-17 balanced variety. I think East will bid 4H with correct information. South has said his say, as has North, who has made two doubles. So, at first sight, 4H undoubled by E/W, -620 for N/S. But I could be persuaded otherwise, unless sticking with one's original opinion is de rigeur these days.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-26, 19:23

Well, I've always reserved the right to change my mind in forums, so I can hardly deny it to others. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-26, 19:37

I assume Comic NT is legal in Belgium. If not, the ruling would be different.

North's failure to alert 1NT is MI to EW (Law 20) and UI to South (Law 16). The play having concluded, it's too late to change any calls, so if the MI caused damage, the TD shall adjust the score (Law 21).

South's failure to call the TD after the final pass and explain that his partner failed to alert 1NT is a violation of Law 20's provision that he must do so. Unless South is a rank beginner, the offense rates a PP (Law 20, Law 90, Introduction to the Laws).

Was there damage? I don't know. What was the table result?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-December-26, 19:41

View Postlamford, on 2012-December-26, 16:46, said:

I presumed from the absence of alerts that both doubles were takeout, although I don't know the alerting rules in Belgium. At least South only passes when he has the 15-17 balanced variety. I think East will bid 4H with correct information. South has said his say, as has North, who has made two doubles. So, at first sight, 4H undoubled by E/W, -620 for N/S. But I could be persuaded otherwise, unless sticking with one's original opinion is de rigeur these days.

I would have thought that North might sacrifice with his known 11 card fit some of the time, ie [as usual] I think a weighted score including a large proportion of 4 making is better.

I take it South hasn't learnt to count up to eight yet.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-26, 19:56

Yeah, I'd say a weighted score, assuming there was damage (there almost certainly was. but that fact is not yet in evidence).
--------------------

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-27, 10:08

If a weighted score, some fraction of 1NT-some number should be in the weighting. Yes, they're red on white, and yes, there might be game on; but with the correct information, East might just pass. The heart lead is pretty much auto from West, and South has somewhat of a discarding problem.

I've never played against a Comic NT, however; if those that are more used to it due to it being legal there think it's insane to pass the East hand, ignore it.

Edit: because defending 1NT gets E/W a better score than achieved at the table, as long as that's a reasonable gamble, I think that defines "damage".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2012-December-27, 12:31

While I don't think pass is possible by East, you make an interesting point mycroft. :)

At the table, the TD decided to apply a weighted score as well. Which score would you all give?

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-27, 13:12

I will keep it simple. I believe everybody except for South:

I believe West that he would bid 4. I believe North that he would bid 5. I don't believe South that she will make it.

I don't know how the play went. But it is clear that declarer's errors were her own. The errors by the defense may have been caused by the fact that they didn't know what the South hand looked like, certainly not at the time of the opening lead. Therefore, it is possible that a defender's error would disappear when they play 5 with the correct explanation, but there is no reason why declarer's errors would disappear.

I would investigate the errors by the defense. Based on that, I might include the possibility of declarer making only 9 tricks in a diamond contract.

If there is no reason to blame the defenders' errors on the MI, I would adjust to a weighted score of:
- 50% 5-1: NS-50, EW+50
- 50% 5X-1: NS-100, EW+100

I would also tell South that she needs to call the TD before the opening lead when her partner has given MI and she will be dummy or declarer. Depending on South' experience, I might add a PP.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#12 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2012-December-27, 14:33

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-December-27, 13:12, said:

I don't know how the play went.

Why do I even bother to enter the entire play if it's too hard to press the <next> button to watch the play? :P

#13 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-27, 15:22

There was one infraction not yet mentioned: North, as he confessed himself, remembered the system when seeing the 4 bid. At this time he should have called the TD and make a late alert, thereby informing opps. Failing to do this is worth another PP IMO.

After correct information I judge that the contract will be 5 doubled. I fail to see, however, why West should find another lead than he did against 4, and I also cannot see a reason why declarer should play the clubs differently, so result is -1 - same number of tricks as in the original play.

Karl

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-27, 15:33

View PostFree, on 2012-December-27, 14:33, said:

Why do I even bother to enter the entire play if it's too hard to press the <next> button to watch the play? :P

Sry. I am way too old to think of technologically advanced things like <next> buttons.

Anyway, having seen the play, I will stick to my ruling and rule 10 tricks: 50% in 5 and 50% in 5X.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#15 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-December-27, 15:40

<next> button?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#16 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-December-27, 16:24

Why isn't passing 3x a logical alternative for South, who has already shown the 'comic' nature of his hand on the previous round and has UI from partner's lack of alert?

#17 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-27, 17:15

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-December-27, 16:24, said:

Why isn't passing 3x a logical alternative for South, who has already shown the 'comic' nature of his hand on the previous round and has UI from partner's lack of alert?

This was my first thought, too, but as the first double was takeout, the 3 bid probably did not show the 8 card suit yet. South should really think that North still assumed the (much more frequent) 15-17 case when doubling.

Karl

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-27, 18:21

View Postbluejak, on 2012-December-27, 15:40, said:

<next> button?

The <Next> button is at the bottom of the bidding diagram in post # 1.
--------------------

#19 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2012-December-28, 03:14

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-December-27, 16:24, said:

North bids like South has a normal NT opening. When South does something unexpected, it means she has an 8 card suit. Bidding 3 after a takeout Dbl isn't unexpected, so North still acts like South has a 15-17 NT opening. When South pulls the 2nd Dbl (penalty) it's clear this is not a normal NT opening. The same principle applies when you're not playing Comic but decide to psych a 1NT opening with long s.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users