• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How good are injured players?

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-07, 05:08

Is RG3 with a knee injury really better than a fully healthy Kirk Cousins?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-07, 06:40

He surely played one of his worst games and he missed one of his main weapons- the own run. But his moves did not look so bad, so the coaches- who should know best- decided: Yes.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 06:48

Not being a sports fan, perhaps I should not comment. But I live in the Washington area and so I watched the game a week ago with Dallas and yesterday's game with Seattle. I found it sickening. Not the loss, it does not affect me. Leaving in an obviously injured man to be humiliated and further injured? This is sports at its worst.

When my granddaughter was about 13 she got a concussion playing soccer. The coach saw no reason she could not play the following week. Her father did. Are these people nuts? Professional sports takes this idea and puts it on, pardon the expression in this context, steroids.

"Winning is not the first thing, it is the only thing", a saying by a famous former coach, is often quoted with admiration. Myself, I regard it as evidence of psychosis.

Anyway, I wish the man well. He is, I think, 22.
Ken

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-07, 07:01

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-07, 05:08, said:

Is RG3 with a knee injury really better than a fully healthy Kirk Cousins?

I don't know, the coaches clearly decided he was (and presumably decided he wasn't going to do anything to jeopardise his participation in next season given just how much they gave up to get him).

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 08:25

Let me think.. How well did Kirk Cousins play when he stepped in as RG3 got injured... ?

Oh yeah... spectacularly well...

But -as a Spartan- I maybe slightly biased.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 10:28

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-January-07, 08:25, said:

Let me think.. How well did Kirk Cousins play when he stepped in as RG3 got injured... ?

Pretty decently I think. However, he got not only a bad snap (which did not lead to a turnover), he also got really horrible protection. I don't know why but it's surely not his fault. Perhaps the front line was already totally demoralized at that point.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 10:56

View Postkenberg, on 2013-January-07, 06:48, said:

Not being a sports fan, perhaps I should not comment. But I live in the Washington area and so I watched the game a week ago with Dallas and yesterday's game with Seattle. I found it sickening. Not the loss, it does not affect me. Leaving in an obviously injured man to be humiliated and further injured? This is sports at its worst.

Agree. Unfortunately there is a corollary. If Shanahan and RG3 did the right thing by removing him, the media would crucify both as weak and quitters. It's a really sad situation. Look at the crap the Washington Nationals took for shutting down Strasburg. It was the right decision, compare Mark Prior for just one example, but nobody wanted to hear that.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 15:53

http://www.nfl.com/n...h-medical-calls
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-January-10, 16:21

If the coach relies on the team's medical staff to evaluate the player, and the medical staff says that the player is OK to play, and the player wants to play, why would the coach overrule both the player and his medical staff? It is my understanding that RGIII was allowed to continue to play only because the medical staff gave its OK.

Doesn't look like a great decision now, but at the time it was the only decision that made any sense.

#10 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-10, 20:26

Obviously I see it differently. But then I don't much watch professional football. These two facts may be related.
Ken

#11 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2013-January-10, 22:04

View Postbillw55, on 2013-January-07, 10:56, said:

Agree. Unfortunately there is a corollary. If Shanahan and RG3 did the right thing by removing him, the media would crucify both as weak and quitters. It's a really sad situation. Look at the crap the Washington Nationals took for shutting down Strasburg. It was the right decision, compare Mark Prior for just one example, but nobody wanted to hear that.

The Strasburg shutdown was pretty dumb though - why not pitch him less all season? Or keep his pitch count down all season? It was weird.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-11, 04:21

View PostArtK78, on 2013-January-10, 16:21, said:

If the coach relies on the team's medical staff to evaluate the player, and the medical staff says that the player is OK to play, and the player wants to play, why would the coach overrule both the player and his medical staff? It is my understanding that RGIII was allowed to continue to play only because the medical staff gave its OK.

Doesn't look like a great decision now, but at the time it was the only decision that made any sense.

RGIII seems quite adept at dodging the doctor which is part of the problem. I think it was the previous time he came out for one play, avoided the doctor then ran back on for the play after. He doesn't seem to want to be told to sit down.

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 16:05

I have not read that he was cleared to reenter the game by a medical doctor. If a trainer did so, that isn't worth much, as they are low ranking peons in a football organization, subject to the whims of the head coach.

Anyone with an ounce of sense could see that he was already injured, including a skilled coach with long experience, or even a drunken fan. Now his ACL is torn and there is a real chance that his career is effectively over.

I wonder if Shanahan figured, more or less, "if he can't get through a game a little banged up, he is no use to us long term anyway."
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 19:00

I don't know whether the medical staff looked at him in the Seattle game.
In the game where he initially got injured, got out, then got back in later for a few snaps, Shanahan claimed he had been cleared by their medical staff to get back in. Their team doctor denied that. Probably Shanahan lied about that. If he lied then, why do you think he behaved differently in a playoff game?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users