BBO Discussion Forums: College Football (US) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

College Football (US) What's with the SEC teams?

#181 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-06, 18:58

Bama and Oregon in, with two more spots up for grabs. I'm still not convinced that TCU makes it if FSU and Baylor both win tonight.

#182 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-06, 20:30

i hope the committee seriously considers leaving FSU out of the playoffs barring a big second half change in this game. baylor and OSU are both almost certainly better. fsu against a top 3 team is going to be a repeat of ND in the 12-13 BCS game. it'll be unfair to the other two teams in the playoff who have to beat a legitimate opponent to advance to the final.

has fsu had one impressive game all season?
OK
bed

#183 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-06, 20:52

i also hope tcu doesn't get crucified for playing a 2-10 team in their final game and not having a conference championship game.

if i were on the committe, assuming fsu holds on and the game isnt a blowout and osu keeps blowing out wisky and baylor beats KSU, 1. bama 2. oregon 3. tcu and put 2 FSUs, 1 OSU, and 1 Baylor into a hat and draw for the 4th team.
OK
bed

#184 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-December-07, 08:01

View Postjjbrr, on 2014-December-06, 20:52, said:

i also hope tcu doesn't get crucified for playing a 2-10 team in their final game and not having a conference championship game.
I presume you know this, but some others might not... The Big 12 is the only major conference that doesn't split its teams into two divisions, with the winner of each division playing in its conference championship game. There are only 10 teams in the Big 12 (yes, there were 12 once upon a time) so those 10 teams simply all play each other once and the team with the best record wins the conference. (In the larger conferences, all teams don't play each other during the round-robin part, although all teams within each division do so.) So, TCU happened to have an easy game on their last week simply through the normal schedule, because they had already played both Baylor and Kansas State whereas those two teams had not yet played each other. However, I stand by my prior statement that since both Baylor and TCU finished 11-1 overall and 8-1 in league play, and Baylor won their head-to-head game, I think Baylor should rank ahead of TCU. I don't think making that judgment would be "crucifying" TCU. For those who care, TCU was +213 points in those 9 league games and Baylor was +155 (and TCU beat the highly-ranked Kansas State by 21, whereas Baylor did so by 11, if you want to eliminate the Whack-A-Mole data).

#185 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-December-07, 08:09

This year, I'd really like a 6 team playoff :P and it would be a different free-for-all to fill a draw of 8.

I hope that the two Top 6 teams who are left out of the playoff are assigned to play each other in another bowl game, provided it's not Baylor and TCU.

#186 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-07, 09:20

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-December-07, 08:01, said:

I presume you know this, but some others might not... The Big 12 is the only major conference that doesn't split its teams into two divisions, with the winner of each division playing in its conference championship game. There are only 10 teams in the Big 12 (yes, there were 12 once upon a time) so those 10 teams simply all play each other once and the team with the best record wins the conference. (In the larger conferences, all teams don't play each other during the round-robin part, although all teams within each division do so.) So, TCU happened to have an easy game on their last week simply through the normal schedule, because they had already played both Baylor and Kansas State whereas those two teams had not yet played each other. However, I stand by my prior statement that since both Baylor and TCU finished 11-1 overall and 8-1 in league play, and Baylor won their head-to-head game, I think Baylor should rank ahead of TCU. I don't think making that judgment would be "crucifying" TCU. For those who care, TCU was +213 points in those 9 league games and Baylor was +155 (and TCU beat the highly-ranked Kansas State by 21, whereas Baylor did so by 11, if you want to eliminate the Whack-A-Mole data).

Two things:

I agree with everything this guy is saying here

And the committee has said something to the effect that they're going to make their decisions on a week-by-week basis, so while I understand what you're saying and I think the committee is correct to have TCU ahead of baylor, I think ultimately it's just a drama/entertainment/made for tv thing where baylor will jump TCU in this last week and they'll justify it by saying baylor's resume hadn't been good enough yet because they don't want to offend people on your side of the argument.
OK
bed

#187 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-December-07, 09:39

Of course, after yesterday's results, the committee very well may simply avoid the whole "TCU or Baylor" problem by picking neither of them, which will immediately set the Big 12 off to revamp their conference system to include a championship game.

#188 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-07, 09:41

Also, because the B12 plays a round robin, TCU and Baylor have more shared opponents than any other contenders, so we have more data to draw upon, which is good because we don't have to weigh one game much more heavily than the others.

This is like a swiss event where TCU would have finished with 100 VPs and Baylor with like 95 VPs.
OK
bed

#189 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-December-07, 12:10

The Committee played to win the post mortem.

#190 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-07, 12:20

Yep, can't blame them though.
OK
bed

#191 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-07, 12:47

Good choices by the committee. Neither Baylor nor TCU was impressive - not just this week - all season long. OSU is clearly a better team. Won when they had to against good opposition, and won 59-0 against a good Wisconsin team with their third string QB. That was impressive.

Florida State is rightly included, and 3rd is probably right.

As for Alabama and Oregon as 1-2, that is hard to argue.

Should be a good playoff.

Big 12 has no one to blame but themselves - co-champions is silly. Probably didn't make too much difference at the end, however.

#192 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-07, 14:48

I know it's logistically impossible, but it would be cool if in addition to deciding which teams make the playoffs, the committee could also decide to invite between 2 and 8 teams to play if it makes sense and doesn't jack up brackets too much
OK
bed

#193 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-07, 15:23

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-December-07, 09:39, said:

Of course, after yesterday's results, the committee very well may simply avoid the whole "TCU or Baylor" problem by picking neither of them, which will immediately set the Big 12 off to revamp their conference system to include a championship game.

A conference can only have a championship game if it has 12 members; the Big 12 has 10 after all that shuffling of the past few years. So it would have to actually add two members or get the NCAA to approve a waiver, which I suspect it would be unlikely to do.

What all this means is we'll now have the spectacle of one of the major conferences going begging for members so it can be in the new playoff system. This is just what the system needs to appear legitimate. :blink:
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#194 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 08:38

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-December-07, 12:10, said:

The Committee played to win the post mortem.

Perhaps. Or maybe they leaned towards OSU's national appeal and travel-ready fans. Or maybe they just picked who they thought was best.

In any case, the decision is defensible and will lead to a successful playoff in every sense. A couple more years of this, and expansion to 8 teams is inevitable.

The main weird thing is that TCU was ranked 3rd, won 55-3, and fell to 6th. If this kind of thing is going to happen, they would be better off not publishing rankings at all before the final decision. Compare basketball.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#195 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-December-08, 09:05

The new four-team system probably saved NCAA from an ugly situation. Which two teams would they have picked for this year's championship game under the prior one-game system?

#196 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 11:12

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-December-08, 09:05, said:

The new four-team system probably saved NCAA from an ugly situation. Which two teams would they have picked for this year's championship game under the prior one-game system?

As I recall, the BCS was two thirds human polls and one third computer ranks. From the human influence, we would likely have Florida State and Alabama. FSU's computer rank is lower, not sure if enough to drop them out though.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#197 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-08, 11:36

View Postbillw55, on 2014-December-08, 08:38, said:

Perhaps. Or maybe they leaned towards OSU's national appeal and travel-ready fans. Or maybe they just picked who they thought was best.

In any case, the decision is defensible and will lead to a successful playoff in every sense. A couple more years of this, and expansion to 8 teams is inevitable.

The main weird thing is that TCU was ranked 3rd, won 55-3, and fell to 6th. If this kind of thing is going to happen, they would be better off not publishing rankings at all before the final decision. Compare basketball.

The explanation is two-fold.

First, the chairman of the committee has appeared publicly and stated that the previous week's rankings reflected essentially a four-way tie for third place between TCU, Florida State, Ohio State and Baylor. The rankings of those four teams were very close.

Second, TCU's game against Iowa State had almost no impact on the final rankings. It was essentially a non-game. Baylor's game against K-State had some impact (and K-State was a highly ranked opponent). But neither was a conference championship game. Ohio State played a conference championship game against Wisconsin, a ranked opponent. And Florida State played a conference championship game against Georgia Tech, a ranked opponent. By winning their conference championship games, Ohio State and Florida State got a boost (especially OSU, which won 59-0 with a third-string QB).

Now, if TCU played Baylor this past weekend in the hypothetical Big 12 Championship Game, that might have changed the result. The fact that Baylor beat TCU earlier in the season in a truly strange game did not carry as much weight with the committee as a real conference championship game would have done.

Also, OSU's out of conference schedule, while not among the toughest in the country, was far superior to the out of conference schedules of Baylor and TCU. Baylor's was near the bottom, and TCU's was, in fact, last.

#198 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-December-08, 11:37

View Postbillw55, on 2014-December-08, 11:12, said:

As I recall, the BCS was two thirds human polls and one third computer ranks. From the human influence, we would likely have Florida State and Alabama. FSU's computer rank is lower, not sure if enough to drop them out though.
Found a site that addressed the computer ranking question: http://fansided.com/...rank-top-teams/ . FSU and Oregon are even there, behind Alabama.

#199 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 00:01

Happy with the final 4.

expect to expand to 16 for the money and ratings

not about the players

#200 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-December-25, 14:45

To help our annual analysis of whether the SEC is over-rated, SEC teams bold, spread printed in 12/24 morning paper, rankings per Selection Committee:

Favorite...........Spread.....Underdog
Miami..21............3.5......South Carolina..24
W Virginia..37.......3.5......Texas A&M..45
Arkansas..31.........6........Texas..7
LSU(23)..28..........7.5......Notre Dame..31
Georgia(13)..37......7........Louisville(21)..14
TCU(6)..42...........3.5......Mississippi(9)..3
MS St(7)..34.........7........Georgia Tech(12)..49
Auburn(19)..31.......6.5......Wisconsin(18)..34
Missouri(16)..33.....5........Minnesota(25)..17
Alabama(1)..35.......9.5......Ohio St(4)..42
Tennessee..45........3.5......Iowa..28