JEC#25 board6

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-November-17, 17:21

3/3 are short suit game tries.
2N is asking which suit partner would accept a game try.
I was thinking of bidding Serious 3N but we have only recently added this and
I was worried that partner may forget. Terrible reason not to use it, sorry partner.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-November-17, 17:46

How happy I am looking for slam depends on the raise structure. If partner is limited to 3 card support or a bad hand that may hold 4, then I maybe I should just sign-off. On a normal, pessimistic day for me, I would definitely sign off in that situation. On a day when things are going well, I'd probably proceed as below.

If he might have 4 card support, then the added chances (or lowered risk) I get from that would have me bidding 2N and getting excited if I find diamond help. Ideally, he shows club help and then diamond help, otherwise I have problems in both minors and no assurance that I have no trump issues...imagine being tapped in hearts at trick 1.

All told, I suspect I'll make the 2N bid. If I hear 3, I'll try 3 and over a game move then I'll cue 5, hoping to hear 5, then slam.

If I hear just 3, over the 2N, I'll try with 4 and keep going over 4. In all other scenarios, I play game.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-November-17, 19:31

Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-November-17, 20:59

We play 2 way drury so 2 is a simple raise, 3 card, bad 4
If I had bid 2N(ask) I'm not sure how partner would have responded, he held J92,AT743,QJ2,32

..more later
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-17, 23:19

I would try a 3 nat if it was aviable

if its not a short 3 is not that bad (to be followed by 5 over 4, this would miss the slam with partner's hand), but it is not avaible???

then 2NT for me, IMO he only has 2 options over that: 3 (diamonds but not clubs) or 3NT (any suit), obviously 3 would make our life easier.

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-November-18, 01:01

View PostFluffy, on 2012-November-17, 23:19, said:

then 2NT for me, IMO he only has 2 options over that: 3 (diamonds but not clubs) or 3NT (any suit), obviously 3 would make our life easier.

Ah, I have just learned we are not getting the optimum use our help suit game tries. I would bid 4M if I would accept any game try,
3N is much better. ty :)

Like S3N should this start a cue sequence? nvm
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-November-18, 03:59

View Postjillybean, on 2012-November-18, 01:01, said:

Ah, I have just learned we are not getting the optimum use our help suit game tries. I would bid 4M if I would accept any game try,
3N is much better. ty :)

Like S3N should this start a cue sequence? nvm

Similarly, if you're accepting opposite a short-suit game-try you should bid 3NT, not 4. The chance that you'll want to play 3NT in that sequence is very small.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-November-18, 11:24

If I understood you right, you toyed with the idea of 1 2 3 NT? This sounds really bad. If you want to look for distributional slams, you better start as low as possible, so I would bid 2 NT. Over a possible 3 I would bid 3 . The alternative would be to bid 4 over 2 . As 3 is short for you, this must be long and a good way to find fitting diamond honours...
If 4 is even shorter then 3 , I would go back to plan A and bid 2 NT. :)
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-November-18, 11:55

4 is shorter than 3 :) maybe something we need to look at.
I did consider 3N which would have been a better route than 4H if I'm wanting to find minor controls.
2N is now glaringly obvious.

If we use 3N in our game try sequence to accept any game try, the jump to game is then redundant?
1S 2S 2N(ask) 4S?

fwiw, the auction at the other table was P P 1 2 3 3 6, I wonder if 3 is first round control.
(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users