BBO Discussion Forums: Competing Auction, the Unusual 2NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Competing Auction, the Unusual 2NT

Poll: Competing Auction, the Unusual 2NT (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree with the 3 Hearts call?

1. Yes (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. No (9 votes [81.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

What is your action against 6 Diamonds?

1. Pass (6 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

2. 6 Hearts (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Double (5 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

4. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2012-November-17, 09:09

Matchpoints if that matters.
Become yourself.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-17, 09:17

I don't hate 3 but i think, over unusual 2 NT , we should be able to show long spades and a competitive hand (such as 3 being competitive, and 3 forcing spades) It maybe better to play 4 if we are going to be left in 4 major. Close though.

Finally i would DBL, of course, with x and xx in the minors i am not expecting us to make 6 very often, and i really don't want my pd to save either. My pass would not be forcing pass for me, but i know my DBL is penalty, against slam i have an ACE and my pd opened, i have only 3 hearts which i could have more that would make my hand more offensive and my pds hand less defensive. Although I predict we are making slam major, aren't we ? :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2012-November-17, 09:24

View PostMrAce, on 2012-November-17, 09:17, said:

I don't hate 3 but i think, over unusual 2 NT , we should be able to show long spades and a competitive hand (such as 3 being competitive, and 3 forcing spades) It maybe better to play 4 if we are going to be left in 4 major. Close though.

Finally i would DBL, of course, with x and xx in the minors i am not expecting us to make 6 very often, and i really don't want my pd to save either. My pass would not be forcing pass for me, but i know my DBL is penalty, against slam i have an ACE and my pd opened, i have only 3 hearts which i could have more that would make my hand more offensive and my pds hand less defensive. Although I predict we are making slam major, aren't we ? :)

Your partner had QJ AQ10xxxxx - Axx and your LHO had both major suit kings in this hand, so not on a club lead :D
Become yourself.

#4 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-17, 12:21

I'd pass. I feel like I have no idea who makes what and nothing special to say.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-November-17, 14:01

View PostMrAce, on 2012-November-17, 09:17, said:

I have always played that the meanings of 3 and 3 are reversed on this auction. If you play 3 as competitive with spades and 3 as forcing with spades, you can get out in 3 if partner has long hearts and no spade fit.

#6 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-17, 15:24

Prefer 3 if not forcing and would double 6. We're not in a force and I have an ace. Plus it's matchpoints so an extra 50 could be worth something.

Next time wait more than 15 minutes before posting the spoiler.

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-November-17, 16:10

seems normal to pass

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-17, 16:48

If I bid 3 I'd think that I have bid enough and decisions are for partner now.

#9 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-17, 16:51

View PostArtK78, on 2012-November-17, 14:01, said:

I have always played that the meanings of 3 and 3 are reversed on this auction. If you play 3 as competitive with spades and 3 as forcing with spades, you can get out in 3 if partner has long hearts and no spade fit.

I've seen others do this too, but isn't it (more?) useful to allow partner a cheap heart rebid when you have a good hand with spades as well?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-November-17, 22:50

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-November-17, 16:51, said:

I've seen others do this too, but isn't it (more?) useful to allow partner a cheap heart rebid when you have a good hand with spades as well?

If you play 3 as the competitive spade hand, you have two possible ways to stop below game - 3 and 3. Otherwise, you give opener the choice between passing 3 and bidding game on an unsuitable hand.

Gaining the cheap 3 rebid in a game forcing auction has some value, but I doubt that it outweighs the chance to get out below game in two suits.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-November-18, 05:59

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-November-17, 12:21, said:

I'd pass. I feel like I have no idea who makes what and nothing special to say.

This is why i choosed to DBL. I believe i have something special that i usually am not expected to have for my 3 competitive bid, when my pd opens and opponents bid slam. It is an ace and it is not in our suit.

Am i too optimistic ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-18, 06:29

3h best of a bad lot of choices (support with support). Even playing 3d as competitive
spades it is still probably better to be able to bid 3h. Against 6d I x because I am headed
for a horrible score if the opps make it anyway and who knows how much we will gain from
the x since our p might be muted over 6d with 2+ tricks and long hearts. I would x at IMPS,
while I am not too concerned with losing a ton of imps from the opps making
6d x I am worried about losing a ton of imps if p were to bid 6h and get x'd.

#13 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-November-18, 12:40

View Postgszes, on 2012-November-18, 06:29, said:

I would x at IMPS,
while I am not too concerned with losing a ton of imps from the opps making
6d x I am worried about losing a ton of imps if p were to bid 6h and get x'd.

This type of thinking always astonishes me. Why is an inability to double an invite to a sacrifice? Or, to put it differently, why do I have to double to prevent partner from taking a dive?

Unless the situation is absolutely clear that a sacrifice is required, your pass should not be invitational to a sacrifice.

[The funny thing is that if you play in Robot tournaments on BBO, the surest way to get GIB to bid again is to make a penalty double.]

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-November-18, 14:11

View PostArtK78, on 2012-November-18, 12:40, said:

This type of thinking always astonishes me. Why is an inability to double an invite to a sacrifice? Or, to put it differently, why do I have to double to prevent partner from taking a dive?

Unless the situation is absolutely clear that a sacrifice is required, your pass should not be invitational to a sacrifice.

[The funny thing is that if you play in Robot tournaments on BBO, the surest way to get GIB to bid again is to make a penalty double.]

Passing does not invite pd to save. Passing means exactly what Josh said it means " i have nothing special that you may need to know pd " and thats where i disagree. I will repeat again, if i open and pd makes a minimum limit bid supporting me, and opponents bid slam and it goes pass in front of my pd, last thing i would expect from him is to hold an Ace in an unbid suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users