BBO Discussion Forums: finally a hand that I might open, preempt or pass - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

finally a hand that I might open, preempt or pass

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-18, 05:24

x
Q9x
Qxx
AQ9xxx

favourable (opps vul), first position

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-18, 05:38

To me 3 > pass > 1

I have a tendency to choose the bids that makes it harder for opponents to find their major suit when i am short in them.

My majors are in the correct order also, if we happen to miss a heart fit because of my choice, then they will have a spade fit most of the time. And getting in at 3 level before everyone else at the table is advantage, tells my hand to pd in 1 shot.

Vulnerability supports us in different ways, we are not going to bleed as much as if we were red if things go nuts, we will lose less if we miss game. While it is the opposite for opponents and puts way more stress than us on them for both same reasons.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-18, 05:48

Would never consider 1 with only 1 A/K, and I hate passing with 4 cards in the majors w/r so I'd bid 3 at any form of scoring and would feel pretty happy about it. How much does/should IMPs vs MPs affect people's decisions in these situations?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-18, 05:58

i echo the 3c > p > 1c

do no see the benefit of a 1c opening bid. Not enough defense and it fails to
stress the only decent thing about this hand a fair club suit. 3c will not keep
us from bidding/making game when it is there (mostly 43 heart fits) and gets
our hand info across in one quick volley. IMPS/MP all the same thinking here.

#5 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-18, 07:48

I hate 1 on this - it makes it easier for LHO to bid a major suit as most play that an overcall can be weaker than an opener. If my methods allowed 2 (either as a minimum Precision opener, or a Fantunes/EHAA style 2 level bid) then I would happily bid that. Otherwise I would go with 3 unless I was playing with a partner who really didn't like this sort of pre-empting style.

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-November-18, 08:57

View Postgszes, on 2012-November-18, 05:58, said:

i echo the 3c > p > 1c

do no see the benefit of a 1c opening bid. Not enough defense and it fails to
stress the only decent thing about this hand a fair club suit. 3c will not keep
us from bidding/making game when it is there (mostly 43 heart fits) and gets
our hand info across in one quick volley. IMPS/MP all the same thinking here.

Wow I don't think I have ever managed to bid a 4=3 major game after pre-empting in a minor. I can't imagine how the auction would go? Does responder introduce a four-card suit or does opener rebid 4 over 3 say?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-November-18, 09:00

I don't hate 1C as much as others, in fact I would probably do it if we had Kxx JTx in the reds or so. But 3C is better on this hand. Pass is also legit but not my favourite call in this position.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2012-November-18, 09:02

I would open 1 in first/second seat. But my partner hates when I pre-empt on more than 9 points, so I'm probably in the minority here.
Become yourself.

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-November-18, 09:22

A maximum with a decent 3-card major is certainly a flaw for 3. Whether that outweighs the advantages I am not sure but I too would routinely open 1 in 1st/2nd seats.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-18, 09:52

View PostMrAce, on 2012-November-18, 05:38, said:

My majors are in the correct order

I'm in for 3 but it's a chosen partnership style that doesn't always work. Just not up to scratch for 1 for us.

As MrAce points out, they can land on their head if they come in (wrong major etc.) and at these colours the profits outweigh the losses imo.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-November-18, 11:18

Pass>1>3

I prefer pass to 1because I have short spades and Qxx are terrible holdings. Passing and bidding clubs describes my hand to a tee.

With these red suit holdings, 3 is just an oddball bid. I like to pressure my opponents but I'd rather not toss 7 IMPs playing 3 when partner has a routine pass. Plus howw can partner reliably judge to bid 5 if you open 3 on this as well as x xxx xxx KQxxxx?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-November-18, 11:38

I would never ever pass, but whether it is 3 or 1? No idea...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-November-18, 11:40

1 ~= pass >> 3

I loathe 3, which has at least four flaws (Q, Q, A, bad suit). Personally I'd open 1, but I don't see anything wrong with pass.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-18, 15:21

View PostPhil, on 2012-November-18, 11:18, said:

Plus howw can partner reliably judge to bid 5 if you open 3 on this as well as x xxx xxx KQxxxx?

My partner can reliably judge that I never own THAT piece of garbage.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-18, 15:42

With Phil, on this. I don't like preempting 3 people with those outside queens. Every once in a while, when I don't have an opening bid, pass works out well.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-18, 16:10

With gnasher, I would open 1, don't mind pass, but hate 3.

For me, being w/r as dealer is the biggest factor. This is a time we want to preempt, but (to me) this means we happily open 3 on Qxxxxx and out, it doesn't mean we preempt with decent (opening/near opening) hands with empty suits and scattered values outside.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-November-18, 16:40

I also think 3c is a joke. Pass or 1c is a style thing, I'd pass playing relatively standard

#18 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-18, 23:50

View PostPhil, on 2012-November-18, 11:18, said:

With these red suit holdings, 3 is just an oddball bid. I like to pressure my opponents but I'd rather not toss 7 IMPs playing 3 when partner has a routine pass. Plus howw can partner reliably judge to bid 5 if you open 3 on this as well as x xxx xxx KQxxxx?

Presumably if you play this style of pre-empt then you take the view, in many more cases than "normal", that the opening pre-empt has done its job. i.e. you don't extend the pre-empt as freely, and you tend not to sacrifice. You have taken away 2 levels of bidding in a situation where other people might have passed. The hope is that this will put your side ahead often enough that your side don't have to take the last guess.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-19, 00:03

View PostEricK, on 2012-November-18, 23:50, said:

Presumably if you play this style of pre-empt then you take the view, in many more cases than "normal", that the opening pre-empt has done its job. i.e. you don't extend the pre-empt as freely, and you tend not to sacrifice. You have taken away 2 levels of bidding in a situation where other people might have passed. The hope is that this will put your side ahead often enough that your side don't have to take the last guess.

Yes, this is the view of those who prefer to do everything from one side of the table at the outset. Some of us are not prescient enough to make all the decisions from our side based on no particular information, and must use that person we invited to sit across from us as a crutch.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#20 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-19, 00:21

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-November-19, 00:03, said:

Yes, this is the view of those who prefer to do everything from one side of the table at the outset. Some of us are not prescient enough to make all the decisions from our side based on no particular information, and must use that person we invited to sit across from us as a crutch.

That's a bit harsh. You can tell your partner you have at least 6 clubs and less than opening strength and let him make a decision - but he will make more cautious decisions than those whose partner promised at least 7 clubs. Or you can pass and tell him you have less than opening strength and let him make a decision based on that. It is not clear that he will make better decisions in the latter scenario. It is clear that the opponents are likely to make better decisions in the latter scenario though.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users