BBO Discussion Forums: Offer to explain? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Offer to explain?

Poll: Offer to explain? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

If opponents ask no questions, what are declarer's disclosure obligations?

1. You shouldn't say anything. (12 votes [48.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

2. You are ethically obliged to offer to explain (5 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. You are legally obliged to offer to explain (2 votes [8.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

4. You are legally obliged to explain (2 votes [8.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

5. Something else (3 votes [12.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

6. You don't need to say anything (For Bluejak) (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-November-20, 18:55

The auction is
1 (2) _P (2)
3 (3) 4 (_P)
4 (_P) 4 (_P)
5 All pass

2 = Alerted and explained as Michaels.
4 = Kickback setting as trumps.
4 = One keycard.

Please assume a jurisdiction where conventional bids above 3N must not be alerted (unless on the first round of the auction).
Defenders ask no questions.

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-20, 19:17

In jurisdictions where high bids are not alertable, but are defined as "delay alerts", the offer to explain (before the opening lead) consists of starting to explain.

If the opponents don't stop us, we do it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-November-20, 21:14

A simple statement that delayed alerts have occurred allows the opponents to ask what they want to know. Offering unsolicited explanations seems wrong, but I might be splicing hairs here.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-20, 21:42

Delayed alerts should be alerted, not just explained, but at the proper time, which depends on whether they're by the declaring or defending side.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-20, 22:49

The auction is over when the point of interest occurs. Whatever the side which needs to make a delayed alert does to bring it to light is mildly interesting. We can call it an offer to disclose, we can start to disclose, we can just say there is a delayed alert involved. It all gets the job done. What I see, like, and try to do is for the bidding side with the obligation to disclose to pause the replacement of bids into the box, and start to explain while the visual aids are still in place.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-20, 23:00

I wasn't stating an opinion, I was stating what the ACBL alert regulation requires*. I generally try to remember to leave my bidding cards out until the opening lead is faced, at least. If someone alerts before I pick them up, I leave them out until explanations are made, or it's clear no one's asking.

* I do recognize that some people will do whatever they damn well please, whatever the regulation says. :ph34r:

ACBL Alert Regulation: A delayed Alert is made as follows: Declaring side: the partner of the person making the Alertable call alerts after the auction is completed and prior to the opening lead. Defending side: the partner of the player making the Alertable call Alerts after the opening lead is made face-down and before the dummy is tabled.

--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-November-21, 02:04

In the ACBL you make a delayed alert, as explained by other posters.

In England, you have no legal obligation to say anything, but I would tell the opponents anyway.

In Scotland, "At the end of the auction the declaring side should draw attention to any unusual features, particularly any unusual non-alerted calls".

Regardless of jurisdiction, I think that saying nothing is an indication that you hate either the game or your opponents.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 02:29

View Postgnasher, on 2012-November-21, 02:04, said:

Regardless of jurisdiction, I think that saying nothing is an indication that you hate either the game or your opponents.

I think it just shows respect for the rules we have in England, where saying nothing is surely normal. Given the variety in feature/control bidding styles, if the defenders are interested in what features/controls they think the other side might have been showing, they will surely ask. If they are sufficiently naive not to do so, they will surely soon learn.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-21, 02:44

View Postgnasher, on 2012-November-21, 02:04, said:

In Scotland, "At the end of the auction the declaring side should draw attention to any unusual features, particularly any unusual non-alerted calls".

Oops. I lazily voted to say nothing because I assumed the Scots had a similar regulation to ours.

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-November-21, 02:29, said:

I think it just shows respect for the rules we have in England, where saying nothing is surely normal. Given the variety in feature/control bidding styles, if the defenders are interested in what features/controls they think the other side might have been showing, they will surely ask. If they are sufficiently naive not to do so, they will surely soon learn.

I agree. I do think that delayed/pre-alerts might be a good idea, one that we could potentially explore here. Things like transfer responses to 1, odd two-level opening, and the like; opponents don't always catch these, especially at the beginning of a 2-board round.

By the way, I am sure that the OP is grateful for all of the posts describing the regulation/procedure in the ACBL...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-November-21, 02:56

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-21, 02:44, said:

By the way, I am sure that the OP is grateful for all of the posts describing the regulation/procedure in the ACBL...

I expect he is. It is, after all, what he asked for.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-November-21, 03:19

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-November-21, 02:29, said:

I think it just shows respect for the rules we have in England, where saying nothing is surely normal.

To show respect for the rules, one simply has to obey them. Volunteering information in this situation isn't either required or prohibited. Therefore doing so shows neither respect nor disrespect for the rules.

If they are sufficiently naive not to do so, they will surely soon learn.

I don't understand this attitude at all. What makes bridge enjoyable is the opportunity to try to play better than other people. I can't see why anyone, assuming they're playing for enjoyment, would be happy to gain from the opponents' naivety about the alerting rules.

#12 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-November-21, 03:50

I would ask as defender, if I need to ask.
If the defender do not ask, I - as a declarer- would not tell him anything, why should I? I am not here to teach him my superior system and he is surely comptent enough to ask everything he needs to know. If he does not need any information, why should I start talking to him?

No, I do not hate him, nor the game. I respect him and his descission to stay silent.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-November-21, 03:56

I don't know Codo, usually when I volunteer this kind of information to my opps, they are grateful (although at times they are annoyed and imply "who cares?"). So even though it is not logical that someone needs a piece of information but does not ask for it, it happens all the time. People are not rational agents, especially bridge players :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 04:13

I feel like this depends how "normal" my methods are. If I had the same auction and 4d/4h were cuebids I would not feel that I should offer an explanation. Kickback is clearly not the "standard" so I would feel like I should offer an explanation regardless of what they ask. I would say that if they do not ask they are 100% to be assuming cuebids.

Also, I feel like in general offering an explanation helps prevent the opps from UI'ing each other by accident.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#15 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 07:07

Where I play (The Netherlands) there are no delayed alerts. (Maybe the league assumes that above 3NT people don't know what they are doing.) If opponents don't ask (which they usually do), I encourage them to do that. If they then still don't want to know what we were doing then I don't consider it my problem anymore.

Normally, I will not start to explain the auction unprompted. There are bridge players who genuinely dislike that. (Don't ask me why.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2012-November-21, 07:40

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-November-21, 07:07, said:

Normally, I will not start to explain the auction unprompted. There are bridge players who genuinely dislike that. (Don't ask me why.)

I have noticed it, too. I think some people take it as bragging. "Look how solid our partnership understanding is".
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-21, 07:48

If it is helpful to the opponents I would like to offer them information, but I don't know what sorts of things are appropriate to tell. Kickback, OK; I play it in such rare cases that it might never come up. Anything else?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-November-21, 07:59

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-21, 07:48, said:

If it is helpful to the opponents I would like to offer them information, but I don't know what sorts of things are appropriate to tell. Kickback, OK; I play it in such rare cases that it might never come up. Anything else?

I suspect if you cue the lowest suit you don't control, or you play turbo you should probably explain them rather than opps asking a load of questions when the lead hits.

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-November-21, 08:14

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-21, 07:48, said:

I don't think you need to prepare for this in advance. If you've made an unusual artificial bid, you're probably waiting for the opponents to ask about it. If they don't, they're probably assuming that it's natural.

#20 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-November-21, 08:20

Why would anybody assume that a bid over 3 NT is natural? Maybe in ACOL land where you are used to quite natural bidding till the highest level?

But without making any statistical research, I would bet that in my world about 95 % of all bids higher then 3 NT are to play or artifical. So I would simply always ask if I can find out anything of value for my defence. Funnily all my opponents think the same way.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users