• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The wrong foot

#1 User is offline   Alibar10 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Art, bridge, reading

Posted 2012-November-05, 19:33

At a table of players I'd never played with before, I opened one heart, with 6 hearts. Op bid 2 diamonds and my partner bid 2NT. I said 3 hearts and all passed. I made the bid, during which my partner posted the hated ????? To my way of thinking the dummy stays quiet and doesn't question partner's play. After ending, my partner went into detail how she would have played the hand, other than how I played it. I sez, but, you weren't playing it, were you? Besides, you told me you had 11-12 points and you only had 9. She went berserk, saying she was letting me know she had diamonds covered. She said she bid properly and I was rude and crude. She left. We both claim intermediate status, although I realize I sometimes play like a beginner.

Most of the time, players are pleasant, but, nothing annoys me more than a partner coming up with those ?????????? in the middle of a game, as if they want me to stop and explain to them what I'm doing. GRRR

This is in the relaxed tables.

Oh well........

#2 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-05, 19:43

I'd mark her as enemy and forget it. With the huge number of players on BBO there are bound to be a few oafs and occassionally you will be unfortunate enough to have one at your table. Sorta like life. When they eventually find that nobody will play with or talk to them perhaps they will learn some manners....I doubt many of them read the forums tho:)

#3 User is offline   Alibar10 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 21:45

Thanks...

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-06, 03:17

partner or Op says: -"???????????"
me says: -"You know? spanish have a counter to that: ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿"

this normally gets the bad guys leaving so someone nicer gets the place.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-06, 13:06

Not that it was excuse rudeness, but I wonder what actually happened at the table. No hand in myhands fits the narrative given by OP.

#6 User is offline   Alibar10 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-November-06, 14:23

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-November-06, 13:06, said:

Not that it was excuse rudeness, but I wonder what actually happened at the table. No hand in myhands fits the narrative given by OP.

I found the hand... 5h,4s,2d,2c. I was mistaken about the bid. I opened with hearts, op bid 2d, my p bid 2nt, I bid 3 spades and that was the contract. My reason for posting it in the forum is that I was considered the "bad guy," when all I did is react to my partner's rudeness. It seems as if I should have remained silent, no matter what was said to me. Not going to happen. :)

#7 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-06, 14:46

View PostFluffy, on 2012-November-06, 03:17, said:

partner or Op says: -"???????????"
me says: -"You know? spanish have a counter to that: ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿"

this normally gets the bad guys leaving so someone nicer gets the place.

love it! :lol:

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-06, 15:44

View PostAlibar10, on 2012-November-06, 14:23, said:

I found the hand... 5h,4s,2d,2c. I was mistaken about the bid. I opened with hearts, op bid 2d, my p bid 2nt, I bid 3 spades and that was the contract. My reason for posting it in the forum is that I was considered the "bad guy," when all I did is react to my partner's rudeness. It seems as if I should have remained silent, no matter what was said to me. Not going to happen. :)

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-06, 15:58

Neither of you bid well on that hand. Even if West had his expected 11 HCP, you don't have enough for 3.

However, that doesn't excuse the rudeness. Unfortunately, rudeness is a general problem in the online world: BBO, YouTube comments, forums, etc. are all full of it.

I'm not sure what you expect anyone to do about it. This isn't kindergarten, there's no teacher monitoring to make sure everyone is polite.

#10 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-06, 17:19

View PostAlibar10, on 2012-November-05, 19:33, said:

This is in the relaxed tables.

Oh well........

You might try joining the Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL). That behavior is not tolerated there. It has lots of friendly tolerant players ranging from novices right up to darn good intermediates. It also has some advanced to expert players who sometimes offer free classes.

FWIW - You might expect "relaxed" people to be polite and patient. In my experience, they seem just as likely to chat "faster, please" as players in the main club.

Perhaps some people find it relaxing to just play cards - without the stress of trying to play as well as possible. Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Alibar10 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-November-06, 18:27

View Postbarmar, on 2012-November-06, 15:58, said:

Neither of you bid well on that hand. Even if West had his expected 11 HCP, you don't have enough for 3.

However, that doesn't excuse the rudeness. Unfortunately, rudeness is a general problem in the online world: BBO, YouTube comments, forums, etc. are all full of it.

I'm not sure what you expect anyone to do about it. This isn't kindergarten, there's no teacher monitoring to make sure everyone is polite.

The ONLY reason I posted it is I was considered the one in the wrong. I suppose I wanted to know if that was the concensus, not that it matters. I surely expected nothing other than that. In reality I've had much worse happen. I know how people are. I probably posted it in a weak moment. Pardon please.

#12 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-06, 18:29

You made it, how mad could she have been :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users