• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your favorite win An event, hand or a trick

#1 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-03, 09:36

Our Regional starts today and I was reminiscing with friends about our favorite victories.

Mine was a KO and in the first 3-ring, we won by 1 and lost by about 35 but survived when that one team lost both. Next 3-ring we won by 2 and lost by about 50 but survived the same way.

Semi-final we crushed them by 3 and went to dinner with our opponents for the final, the same good friends. In the middle of my gulping my beer, a guy looks up from his convention card and says "So far in this event we are a net +104 imps."

We turned it on in the final and beat them by 4 and yes, the guy at dinner got a beer shower.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:10

My favourite win was a very long time ago. I must have been about 14, and 4 schoolboys turned up for the county "below the rank of whatever" teams. It was straight IMPS in a very random field, and we perpetrated a respectable +21 IMPs over 24 boards, being surprised to find out we'd won.

We also won the plate competition for the main UK KO only winning one match (32 boards up to final which was 48) by more than 12 IMPS.

#3 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-October-03, 16:24

The first time I won the right to represent our district in a an open GNT two years ago, there were two favorite teams - ours might have been a distant 3rd. My partner was a past-his-primer that had won the event several times over the years, but not recently, and he was passing a kidney stone during the event. I had never won the event, and was a young upstart, our teammates were good players, but not ones that had ever played together before, and not considered to be among the top 15 players in the district.

We won the qualifying swiss, then crushed the pre-tournament favorite in the full day KO final, winning every segment and eventually accepting their withdrawal after the 3rd quarter, even though they were only down around 60 with 15 boards to play.
Chris Gibson

#4 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 18:22

My favorite win was a Flight B KO at the New England Regional Individual before bracketing became popular. It was a field of 56 teams, so we played 6 sessions, one Friday evening, three on Saturday, and two on Sunday. We were down over 40 at the half of the final and won despite no double digit swing in the 2nd half. They switched to bracketed the next year. I have entered one Spingold and one Vanderbilt, but aside from those, this was the last time I played in a KO schedule to go more than 5 rounds. I miss such events.

The win was worth 36.02 masterpoints. A big chunk of points for a Flight B event. I've topped that in a single event only once, a top bracket KO win at a Las Vegas regional, that win was worth 36.03 masterpoints.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-October-03, 19:38

Hasn't happened yet.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-October-04, 06:34

In about 1993, i left DC at 4:00 AM for Virginia Beach to play four sessions (morning side, afternoon, eve, midnight) and then drive back. Four sessions was a tourney to me. No money, so no hotel. Anyway, ended up at partnership desk. For two-session aft/eve strat, played with LOL. We were in dead last after the afternoon session. So, went to dinner with her group of LOLs (very nice ladies) and asked her if I could get a little frisky for the eve game. She said sure-!
So, i got frisky.
She was a tad shellshocked by the end, but we managed to finish tied for first overall in Flight B with a BRQ. Back then, that was huge.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-October-04, 08:44

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-October-04, 06:34, said:

So, went to dinner with her group of LOLs (very nice ladies) and asked her if I could get a little frisky for the eve game. She said sure-!

So, i got frisky.

She was a tad shellshocked by the end, but we managed to finish tied for first overall in Flight B with a BRQ. Back then, that was huge.

When I first read this, I thought, "gives a new dimension to the term 'pick-up partnership'".
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-October-04, 09:23

Each win has its own aspects, but, for me, the best was a series of 3 wins over a 36 hour period.

These all occurred at a regional in Cherry Hill, NJ, about 10 years ago. The first event was the morning KO. It ran from Wednesday morning through Saturday morning - 4 sessions. The first three matches were unremarkable wins leading up to the finals. For the finals, my partner and I sat out the first half. Having nothing to do, we decided to go for a drive. We came back to find our team up over 60 IMPs and the opponents conceding defeat. So we won the KO without having played a card in the finals.

The event that afternoon was the Flight A pairs. This event had a very strong field. Near the end of the afternoon session, we were in the midst of a poor session. Over the last two rounds we recovered by scoring approximately 80% of the matchpoints. That put us slightly over average for the session.

Between sessions, a printout of the top 60 pairs in the event was posted. We did not make the list.

Almost immediately upon starting the evening session we started getting great results. Everything we did was right, everything they did was wrong. By the time we reached the last round, we knew we had a great session going. This was confirmed when Ken Cohen, who had completed his round, started hovering around our table trying to get an idea of what was going on. The final hand of the day was a 7NT contract declared by the opponents. The contract depended upon finding a missing queen in a 5-2 fit with finesses possible in both directions. Declarer decided to play for the drop. This did not work, and we took our plus score. Almost immediately Doug Grove, the head director, congratulated us for our win. It turned out that our evening session score was about 73%, and we won by about 1 1/2 boards.

Sunday was the Flight A Swiss Teams, and I was playing with a different partner - one who I had played with on 2 or 3 occasions over the past 5 years. The thing that I remember most about this event is that my partner's name was Art (Art Weiss), so we had a partnership of 2 Arts. We had a fairly uneventful day, motoring through the field, leading virtually from start to finish.

So, from the conclusion of the morning KO at about 10:45 am Saturday, through the end of the Flight A Swiss on Sunday afternoon at about 6:30 p.m., I won three events.

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-October-04, 09:44

Oh, wait! I just remembered my absolute favorite win.

I was playing with a regular partner at the time in a sectional Swiss in Cambridge, Ohio, shortly after playing in the 2002 World Championships with him. With seven matches under our belt, we entered the eighth with seven losses, no ties, and no wins. Our opponents had an auction where East ended up Dummy. When partner put his lead on the table, Dummy was nervous and asked her partner, "So, do I place my hand on the table face up?" Apparently, this was the first time that she had ever been Dummy.

This, of course, caused me amd my partner to start laughing uncontrollably, when we realized that our scores made us matched up against this team. We passed this off as not insulting by suggesting some strange story about how something else caught us as funny. Not sure they believed us, but we could not help it at this point.

Anyway, we ended the event with one win and seven losses. But, that last win was quite impressive.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-04, 11:20

We played in the UK mixed pivot teams knockout against a team that might well have been seeded (I'm pretty sure they were all international players Camrose/Lady Milne or better) about 10 years or so ago. We were even more nobodies than we are now and when we turned up they were already having a nice glass of wine. We won every set including on one board in the last set them bidding a no play 6NT (on partners lead anyhow) when 6S was cold and our other pair stopped in 4S.

#11 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-04, 12:28

My GNTC district win this year was quite fun. There was a field of 11 teams so it was a two-day KO with some three-ways. We were seed number two, and won our first matches easily. Still, seed #1 looked like huge favorites, being +100 imps or so on the first day... Anyways, we finally get to play them in the final. In the first session, both of our pairs manage (on different boards..) to defend 2X+1, which together with a couple of other mistakes put us down 21 at half time (2x14 boards). Sure, that's not as impressive as other comebacks mentioned here but there's still some work to do. In one board in the second half, I open 2N (minors) with x xx KQJ9x Axxxx and my partner judges well(?) to pass(!) holding both QJTxx Axxxx Ax x, making on a misdefense when the opponents are down in a misfit at the three level. We are clearly picking up imps in this half, but play is very slow and the TD threatens to remove the last board if we don't hurry up. So of course we do, and play what seems to be a routine 4 on it. Well, at comparison time it turns out that our teammates managed to sac in 5-2 without getting doubled, for a 9-imp pickup which put us ahead by 2!
I guess the most funny part was that I was so excited that I managed to (accidentally, I deny any voluntary wrongdoing...) set off Kit Woolsey's car alarm twice (he was playing in the GNT open final at that time) on my way out. The look on his face the second time he had to come out turn off the alarm: priceless.

#12 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2012-October-04, 12:38

My favourite win so far was not in bridge … and technically it was not a win.
Long ago I was a schoolboy more or less seriously playing chess. In one tournament I had to play against a girl. Our game was scheduled for March, 8 - Women day. It did not feel right for me to beat the girl in her holiday (and being an idiot I cannot even imagine another result of our game) and instead of concentration on a chess game I thought what I should do. Finally I offered draw. But by the time I make up my mind, my position on the chess board was so bad that the only correct think I could do was to resign. Girl smiled and says if I want to make her a gift the best thing I can do is to play the game until the end. As you wish.
That time I was a better player and while mine position was very bad she did not manage to win until the end of the day. We were supposed to make at least 40 moves for 2 hours for each player and if game is not finished yet it can be postponed for another day. Another day, another 5 hours and game was not done yet. And, by that time, I already had small chances to make a draw. Her teacher came to me and told what he is going to show her how to win the position and the best I can do is to resign right now to save time and energy. I reply that I would like to but I can’t – gave promise to play until the end. Another day, another 3.5 hours, finally she made a mistake and I got a winning position. The girl was very sad and I immediately offer draw and she accepted.

That was not the end of the story. In two years I played against the same girl again in interschool competition. By that time I already didn’t study chess anymore but she did and became a better player than me. Our game was longest game in the competition. (Postponing was not an options at that tournament). In the beginning she overplayed me, but then I found some very good moves and already she had to work hard to save the game. Another draw.

Another year passed. I don’t think I played a single chess game for that year but still had to play for a school team. She played for her school too. By that time she became a much better player compare to me. I made first move. She looked at me and said: “I know it will be another draw. Let’s save time.” I accepted.

I did not see that girl anymore, but I once saw her name in women chess grandmaster competition.

#13 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2012-October-04, 12:39

Back to bridge, I definitely already shared story on my favourite trick in these forums. Sorry for repetition.
It was many years ago at the Moscow bridge club. My partner and me were pretty much beginners.
In unfavorite vulnerability I hold something like:
s. xx
h. QJ1065
d. 5
c. Qxxxx
LHO open 1 club (polish) – weak NT or strong hand; and Partner bid 2 diamonds promising 2-unspecified 5 cards suits with at least one major and 5-11 points.
After slow pass from RHO it was not difficult to imagine down how much we will go doubled vulnerable with expected spades-diamonds two-suiter in partner’s hand and I passed.
Another very slow pass from LHO and RHO lead 4 of diamond.
I put my treasures on the table and played trump singleton before partner said anything. LHO gave 2 of diamonds on this trick.
Partner looked stunned. She looked at dummy, played cards, her cards. She was trying to say something but literally lost her voice. In a couple of minutes and glass of water she called TD and seriously asked if it is a bridge tournament. Getting confirmation she spreader her cards conceding all tricks except the first one.
She had something like:
s. Jx
h. Kxxxxx
d. -
c. Jxxxx
Minus 700 was a top for us.

#14 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-04, 13:16

Favourite win: (junior) world championship semi-final
Saddest loss: the match right after that

#15 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-October-04, 13:43

My favourite win was a 2nd place in Pula Mixed Teams. :)
I was playing with a solid 2nd man and two experienced but normally not playing at this level Hungarian ladies. It was a Swiss tournament and going well and in the penultimate round we play a surprisingly weak team for our table number. So we win it big and on the last round we are on table 3 or 4, with screens (partner has never played with screens).

Lady on my left is obviously some Russian close to national team level. I have something like 1-3-4-5 11-count and after 1 from her I think: Let's not force my pd in this situation to play in 4-3 fit in , I pass.

1 Pass 1NT Pass
2 Pass (still same strategy) Pass 3 (!)

Wow! Still thinking let's not punish her in a non-fit situation for opps... I pass again.

Now responder wakes up and bids 3, 2 passes to me 4, Double!

Oh dear... Poor partner first time with screens, first board in a doubled contract. But she plays it well for +590! Strong lady gets very angry with pd.
Next board 1 by strong lady, all pass. I lead husband puts down three small spades, she explodes again, 20 - 0.

Anyway we win the match 12 - 0 and almost the tournament with it, but 2nd was great as it was :)
Congrats to Acol Praha to beat us.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-October-04, 14:19

Since olegru posted a chess one I will too. I was playing not a very good lady chess player, but she happened to be the daughter of a grandmaster and her husband was another IM/GM, so she knew all the GMs. It was early in the morning and I dropped a piece in the first 10 moves. Anyway I got the piece back and we reached the adjournment. I get back to the room towards the end of the adjournment and realise she's analysing with a GM. So we resume and she plays an exchange sacrifice that leaves her an obvious long drawn out win. I can see what's going on, and play a move that loses instantly. The GM hasn't told her what to do as it's obvious to him, she thinks, fails to find the trivial win and I win the game.

Also to follow his theme of posting a draw. I was playing in an "all moves in half an hour" tournament against a rather disconcerting player who played all her moves instantly. I was into my last minute and it wasn't looking good, I was a piece down and had to play rather quickly. It was estimated by somebody watching that I played 35 moves in 45 seconds at this point emerging when the smoke cleared with king bishop and knight against king, and at that point I knew I wasn't winning that in 6 seconds on my clock so we agreed a draw.

#17 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 09:40

I have another favorite win.

My pard attended his childhood friends wedding, grabbed a cab and crashed on my couch at 4:30 am. We caught our flight to Pittsburgh at 6:30 and entered the Stratified Pairs when the Director asked for volunteers to take a double east/west and he jumped on it saying "It's the only way I'm going to make it." He was still toxically drunk.

We declared 20 of the first 26 and 24 of the next. The cards were just running like that but he was raisng me on doubletons just to be dummy and everything worked.

With a couple of rounds to go Meckstroth who was playing with a client wandered by and asked him how it was going tonight. He said so so (probably not having a clue) Meck got a state of the match from the Director, came back and with a smile on his face said "prick".
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-October-05, 12:35

1997 saw me in the 3rd year of a serious partnership but with no team for the Canadian Team Trials. Our would-be partners had decided to play in a Calcutta to practice....never having played together. They got up partway through the event and left by separate doors...vowing never to play with each other again. So Gord and I were without a team.

Cut to my house where Alan Graves and several others were spending time while our spouses/girlfriends were playing the zone finals for the women's trials. I was bemoaning the situation when Alan said that he'd been speaking to Joey Silver and maybe the 4 of us could play. However, Joey was in Montreal, Gord Vancouver, and Alan and I in Victoria. The rules then required that at least 2 players come from the unit where the team qualified, and Victoria had had it's finals, while Vancouver hadn't.

So Alan changed his address to his father's place in Vancouver and we recruited a 4th to fill in for Joey. We placed 8th out of 8 in the unit qualifying, but all 8 got to go to the Zone because of low attendance.

We added a different 4th for the Zone and finished 3rd, with 3 teams qualifying.

We got to the CNTC's as a 4 man team...I think we were the only 4-bagger. I think we were in last place after the first day of the round-robin.

We finished 8th in the round-robin, the last qualifying spot.

We were tied in the 1/4 final at the end of the 1st quarter, then won by 100 imps. We won the semis by about 100 as well.

We were up 50 imps at the half of the Finals but gave back 37 in the 3rd quarter. Fortunately, we had the better of them in the 4th and won by a margin I no longer recall.

My favourite hand of all time, altho trivial when presented as a problem, occurred in the semis....I held AKQJ9 AKJ9x A AK.

Partner opened a weak 2, a bid that could frequently include a 4 card major. We used a 2 response as a shape ask, looking for a major or a 5 card clubs suit, and 2N as a force in hearts.

We had the night before tweaked the method so that over 2N, 3 by opener said he liked hearts but had a bad hand.

I bid 2N, he bid 3! I keycarded and found the heart Q and diamond K and bid the best contract: 7N.

The opps missed the laydown grand.

I don't believe in destiny or fate, but the way we even got to play, let alone the final result, makes that win special for me.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-October-06, 00:41

View Postolegru, on 2012-October-04, 12:38, said:

My favourite win so far was not in bridge … and technically it was not a win.
Long ago I was a schoolboy more or less seriously playing chess. In one tournament I had to play against a girl. Our game was scheduled for March, 8 - Women day. It did not feel right for me to beat the girl in her holiday (and being an idiot I cannot even imagine another result of our game) and instead of concentration on a chess game I thought what I should do. Finally I offered draw. But by the time I make up my mind, my position on the chess board was so bad that the only correct think I could do was to resign. Girl smiled and says if I want to make her a gift the best thing I can do is to play the game until the end. As you wish.
That time I was a better player and while mine position was very bad she did not manage to win until the end of the day. We were supposed to make at least 40 moves for 2 hours for each player and if game is not finished yet it can be postponed for another day. Another day, another 5 hours and game was not done yet. And, by that time, I already had small chances to make a draw. Her teacher came to me and told what he is going to show her how to win the position and the best I can do is to resign right now to save time and energy. I reply that I would like to but I can’t – gave promise to play until the end. Another day, another 3.5 hours, finally she made a mistake and I got a winning position. The girl was very sad and I immediately offer draw and she accepted.

That was not the end of the story. In two years I played against the same girl again in interschool competition. By that time I already didn’t study chess anymore but she did and became a better player than me. Our game was longest game in the competition. (Postponing was not an options at that tournament). In the beginning she overplayed me, but then I found some very good moves and already she had to work hard to save the game. Another draw.

Another year passed. I don’t think I played a single chess game for that year but still had to play for a school team. She played for her school too. By that time she became a much better player compare to me. I made first move. She looked at me and said: “I know it will be another draw. Let’s save time.” I accepted.

I did not see that girl anymore, but I once saw her name in women chess grandmaster competition.

All this fine history and you didn't even had a drink with her?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 02:39

On a 3 session tourney on Madrid, with 2000€ first price I was playing with my dad. But this year my brother had convinced me to go skiijng with him a week to switherland, but I had to take my flight on sunday, before the third session.

I arranged to find a sub for me for the third session, to my father's dismay who pretended that I miss my vacation rather than leave him one session with a lesser player.

Everthing went well on the first day, the field was a bit random, there were a lot of big names like Lantaron, Bocchi, Duboin, Buratti or Lanzarotti, But most of them were partnering a sponsor. When the scores came on friday we were running first with 68% session, a couple of points above Ventin-Lambardi.

Next day everthing was going well, althou I was just paying atention to the game and not the results a all. When 6 boards are to be played director detach the top copy of the scorecards from the boards and starts to put results into the computer. With 3 boards to go director aproached our table and asked how it was going, my father who was running the scores looked at his paper and said... Closer to 80% than to 70%. Director replied... so its true!, I was afriad it was a computer failure. We ended up with 79.6%, 16% above second. I think it was more difference between first and second than between first and 68th, with around 100 pairs playing.

So I flew to Switherland next day in comfort, althou they told me when I came back that it wasn't that easy, on the mid session they had around 45%, but recovered to 53% and won.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users