Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Penalty cards

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-November-11, 16:53

In a 3NT contract, declarer leads a club, LHO discards a diamond, dummy follows and RHO discards a heart. At this point, LHO announces he has a club and plays it, winning the trick.

Does the diamond HAVE to be played at this point? Can a diamond be prohibited if declarer so desires?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 17:03

View Postmr1303, on 2012-November-11, 16:53, said:

Does the diamond HAVE to be played at this point?

Yes.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-November-11, 17:12

So this can be a rabbit defence when a diamond switch (from a holding that you would be extremely unlikely to find which just happens to work)?

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-11, 18:15

View Postmr1303, on 2012-November-11, 17:12, said:

So this can be a rabbit defence when a diamond switch (from a holding that you would be extremely unlikely to find which just happens to work)?

I don't understand this question.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-12, 03:15

Neither do I, but if there is any substance in it and the defending side gains from the situation then Law 23 is obviously applicable.

#6 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-12, 04:19

Given that the person who 'coudl have known' is the one who would have been on lead anyway, and so could have chosen the diamond lead anyway, I don't see why 23 should apply. If the argument is that when revoking he could have known that the penalty card he would now be forced to lead could be the one to break teh contract, i'm finding this a bit far fetched.

The Rabbit defense term, I assume, refers to the character rueful rabbit from the Mollo books, a character who would accidentally (often by missorting, or dropping cards) find masterful plays, or hte only play to work, however unlikely.

#7 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-12, 04:36

View Postmr1303, on 2012-November-11, 16:53, said:

In a 3NT contract, declarer leads a club, LHO discards a diamond, dummy follows and RHO discards a heart. At this point, LHO announces he has a club and plays it, winning the trick.

Don't forget that dummy's card may now be changed (and if it is RHO's card may be changed).

Does the diamond HAVE to be played at this point? Can a diamond be prohibited if declarer so desires?

Yes it has to be played. If it happens to be the right card to play, that's just lucky. Law 23 doesn't come into play -- if he knows a diamond is right then the PC doesn't gain over just playing it, and if he doesn't know the diamond is right then he has no reason to think the penalty card will help.

I had to rule on this exact situation at the seniors congress the weekend before last.

#8 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-12, 05:00

Citations: When the holder of a major penalty card is on lead, he must lead it: L50D1. Declarer's power to bar the lead of the suit of a major penalty card only applies when it is the partner of the penalty card holder who is on lead: L 50D2.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users