• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Declarer gets squeezed

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-19, 04:02

This was a hand from yesterday's Swiss Pairs. I opened 1C (clubs or strong balanced) and East (an intermediate-level player) bought it in 1NT. Partner led the H4, I took this with the K and returned the S4 (attempting to go passive since I wanted declarer to lead out of his hand). Declarer won the Queen and then overtook the SK with the SA to lead the DQ. I covered, declarer won the Ace, cashed the Jack and played the 8 to partner's 10.

Partner led the S9, declarer misguessed and covered it with the 10, I won the Jack and tried to endplay declarer by leading the D6... only to find it held the trick! So I cashed the HA and led the H10. Declarer unfortunately misguessed again and ducked, and partner overtook.

The play so far:

In the end position, partner cashed his winning spade and declarer was squeezed. He threw the HQ promoting partner's H7, and finished down 3, with South's flat 1-count taking an unlikely four tricks.

This board came in a (7-board) round where we scored a whopping 95% due to accurate defense and our opponents getting quite unlucky. Pity there are only 20 VPs available per round :)

ahydra

#2 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-28, 04:37

After a heart and a spade return, declarer could have just cashed two spades and played a diamond to the Q, that feels like a much stronger line....
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#3 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-July-28, 15:06

With the 7 doubleton in Dummy, the 6 cannot hold the trick.
Covering the lead in dummy is a clear error. After winning the lead in dummy, declarer should lead a small to the Q then play on elimination lines.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users