• You cannot reply to this topic

BBF vs. JEC #23 Saturday, November 3rd

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-October-27, 17:31

View Postawm, on 2012-October-23, 00:16, said:

Perhaps this should be in BBF vs. JEC #23, but I believe I have a full team for November 3. It would be awm-sieong and elianna-mbodell, if this is okay mgoetze.

Good luck guys!

Kibitzers from Europe should note that the US will still be on DST, so the match will start an hour earlier than we might expect, at 11:00 PDT / 14:00 EDT / 18:00 UTC / 19:00 CET.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-27, 23:24

fwiw America has no idea what DST time is...let alone UTC or CET time

if you dont believe me walk down any major city in usa and ask them....
walk down any small city......

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 06:45

Am pretty sure they know what it is in Phoenix, for example, simply by virtue of not having it.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-29, 09:40

I'm anal about getting it right (I get very annoyed when people make appointments or post announcements that contain a time with "EST", but actually mean "EDT" -- if you don't know, just say "ET" and we'll correctly assume the current flavor), but I admit that I can never remember which is considered "standard" versus "daylight savings" time. Like most people, I know "spring forward, fall back", but that doesn't help with which name is which. I always have to go to my shell window and type "date" to see whether the result ends with "EST" or "EDT". They have it right in many parts of Europe, calling it "Whatever Summer Time".

Russia doesn't have it any more, but they're actually in permanent DST, not Standard Time. I suppose this is the political equivalent of "Unusual 2NT". :)

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-October-30, 04:13

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-29, 09:40, said:

I'm anal about getting it right (I get very annoyed when people make appointments or post announcements that contain a time with "EST", but actually mean "EDT" -- if you don't know, just say "ET" and we'll correctly assume the current flavor), but I admit that I can never remember which is considered "standard" versus "daylight savings" time.

Doesn't seem so hard... DST is when you have a D in there, like EDT or PDT, and standard has an S, as in EST or PST. ;)

But I guess you meant you don't know whether standard time is in the summer or the winter. I sympathize fully, being someone who usually only gets up when the sun is fully up no matter what time of year it is.

Russia doesn't have it any more, but they're actually in permanent DST, not Standard Time. I suppose this is the political equivalent of "Unusual 2NT". :)

I sure hope so. (Almost) everyone plays Unusual 2NT nowadays and I hope "permanent DST" will become just as common. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 15:13

Lost 48-70, one of the closer ones I guess.

Here are the hands I thought were interesting from my seat:

Pass or take a shot at slam? Partner could be as light as 5 hcp (1 not GF necessarily) but he does promise short hearts for his second call. Pass and pull would be stronger.

2 was forcing one round. Do you agree with the auction so far? Would you pass 4 or bid five of a minor?

Should north do more? Do you even want to be in slam on this pair of hands given the bidding?

Is 4 obvious now? Or try 3NT? Or try for slam? Partner will have a 4351 or 4441 hand for this sequence (no 6-card diamond suits).

-------------------

There were some other hands from partner's side, and from our teammates table. There were also a bunch of hands where we had good results (or our teammates did).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#7 User is offline   sieong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-03, 18:22

Thanks all for the opportunity. Here are some interesting hands from my seat.

Our carding agreements are udca, frequent suit preference. The first trick goes A - 4 - 7 - 5. What is your plan? What hands do you play declarer for?

Would you bid 3 mixed raise the first time? For the given auction, do you compete on?

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 19:33

View Postawm, on 2012-November-03, 15:13, said:

Lost 48-70, one of the closer ones I guess.

Here are the hands I thought were interesting from my seat:

Pass or take a shot at slam? Partner could be as light as 5 hcp (1 not GF necessarily) but he does promise short hearts for his second call. Pass and pull would be stronger.

2 was forcing one round. Do you agree with the auction so far? Would you pass 4 or bid five of a minor?

Should north do more? Do you even want to be in slam on this pair of hands given the bidding?

Is 4 obvious now? Or try 3NT? Or try for slam? Partner will have a 4351 or 4441 hand for this sequence (no 6-card diamond suits).

-------------------

There were some other hands from partner's side, and from our teammates table. There were also a bunch of hands where we had good results (or our teammates did).

1. Pass, partner could have passed and pulled and didn't, I think we need too much. He is always bidding 5S with like 4-1 in the majors.

2. Pass, we are off at least the first 2 spades and then partner would need solid diamonds and they might need to be really solid if it goes 3 rounds of spades and he has to ruff high. I think with solid diamonds and the club ace and 2164 partner would bid 5D himself, or at least bid 4D over the double directly.

3. Auction seems fine, I guess it's a reasonable slam but whatever.

4. Yes obvious 4S to me.

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-November-03, 19:37

View Postsieong, on 2012-November-03, 18:22, said:

Thanks all for the opportunity. Here are some interesting hands from my seat.

Our carding agreements are udca, frequent suit preference. The first trick goes A - 4 - 7 - 5. What is your plan? What hands do you play declarer for?

Would you bid 3 mixed raise the first time? For the given auction, do you compete on?

I would have bid 3H the first time and 3H the 2nd time, I guess having bid this way I would pass now.

#10 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 21:37

Well, we won the BAM 12 W - 6 T - 10 L and at least it was close enough you could change just one hand (as long as it was the right one) and give us the win. Here were some of my interesting hands (rotated):

Enough? Too much? Would you have bid differently?

What now? I considered 4, 4, and X. Your choice?

What now? I considered 4nt, 4, and 3nt. Your choice?

T1 4-2-J-7 of hearts

After you win the J T1, what now?

Do you bid 5, X, or P?

Same hand. You pass and lead the A and T1 goes A - Q - K - 2 and the dummy holds J9xxx Q AK9x 9xx. Your T2 play?

Do you X? What about given a state of match where you are down by 18 with 3 boards left to play, but 5 boards left to score (and the two boards you are through are a possible swing out and a possible swing in). Does that make it worth a state of the match action X?

#11 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 22:11

View PostMbodell, on 2012-November-03, 21:37, said:

Well, we won the BAM 12 W - 6 T - 10 L and at least it was close enough you could change just one hand (as long as it was the right one) and give us the win. Here were some of my interesting hands (rotated):

T1 4-2-J-7 of hearts

Do you bid 5, X, or P?

Same hand. You pass and lead the A and T1 goes A - Q - K - 2 and the dummy holds J9xxx Q AK9x 9xx. Your T2 play?

Do you X? What about given a state of match where you are down by 18 with 3 boards left to play, but 5 boards left to score (and the two boards you are through are a possible swing out and a possible swing in). Does that make it worth a state of the match action X?

On the first one I would try again with 5. Probably partner should show some life with a good hand and no spade control, but they may not see it that way and we have a very good hand in any case.

The second one I would always double.

Third one 3 cue agreeing hearts.

I'd return a spade on the fourth.

Fifth one I definitely double. I have two aces and partner has minor suit cards, if not values. A at the second trick, Since we didn't double let's just take our tricks. A trump could be right if we had doubled but I probably wouldn't because it needs too much.

The last one I would not double ever if down only 18. Team-mates could have done anything. Only at matchpoints would I consider it. But I have not played penalty doubles here since 1986 so my judgment could be off.

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-November-04, 07:39

T1 4-2-J-7 of hearts

Do you bid 5, X, or P?

First one: I have just read your other thread so I'll abstain.

Second one: Gotta double, who knows what 3H is based on lol. Even if it's legit we might just have a good minor suit fit, our hand is really good. I think just ignoring 3H and pretending they bid 3S when you have this hand is basically the right approach.

Third one: I don't know, this is an interesting theoretical spot. What are 3S/4C/4D? I want to try for slam in hearts, I obviously have a great hand for hearts in context of my bidding. Could 3S be unsure about whether to play 3N/4H and trying to give partner a choice? Is 4m an unambiguous heart cue, how are we bidding with a 5440 thats too good for 3N? Would 4m deny a spade control. Etc etc. I honestly don't know the answers to these questions, it's a weird spot, in the real world I'd try 3S and hope partner bid 3N now when I bid again it would be obvious what I had been doing.

Fourth one: too late for defense!

Fifth one: Yeah I am certainly doubling. I have aces and my random jacks might be good and their auction has started with both of them passing, then them stopping in 4C, then saving once we bid game lol (and apparently LHO has 5 spades and could not overcall 1S).

I am truly mystified by this defensive problem, I do not understand what is going on. I cannot construct anything. I feel like a GIB that cannot simulate any reasonable hands and thus will play a random card/explode. I guess it really is too late for defensive problems.

I do feel confident in saying that a trump lead was a standout and the HA is a very bad lead though even though you didn't ask.

Sixth one: No. Your partner also knows you are down 18 and opened 1N in third seat and was doubled for penalty. It is very likely partner has created the action with their 1N opener, I'm sure it could be a super wide range of hands. I would hope that it has caused the opps to miss game or be in the wrong fit or something. You cannot both be trying to swing on the same hand. On top of that it is just totally crazy to double on this hand at any form of scoring, you have like a trick. Even if I knew partners 1N would 100 % be down the middle (which makes no sense since 1N with a 12 count and a 6 card minor or w/e is a great spot for creating some action), I would hope to pick up the imps in the next boards because I think Xing is so -EV

#13 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-November-05, 04:08

"Well done" to put 12 interessting hands into one threat.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 06:06

Yeah, far too much here to comment on and have a sensible discussion. Better to split them up I think. On Adam's hand 2, the pass over 3X is not alerted but surely it should show a half stopper in spades, no?
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-06, 17:23

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-29, 09:40, said:

I'm anal about getting it right (I get very annoyed when people make appointments or post announcements that contain a time with "EST", but actually mean "EDT" -- if you don't know, just say "ET" and we'll correctly assume the current flavor), but I admit that I can never remember which is considered "standard" versus "daylight savings" time. Like most people, I know "spring forward, fall back", but that doesn't help with which name is which. I always have to go to my shell window and type "date" to see whether the result ends with "EST" or "EDT". They have it right in many parts of Europe, calling it "Whatever Summer Time".

:) If you are really anal, it is "Daylight Saving Time". As in saving time, not as in savings banks.

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-November-06, 20:22

1 [awm] Pass or take a shot at slam? Partner could be as light as 5 hcp (1 not GF necessarily) but he does promise short hearts for his second call. Pass and pull would be stronger.

IMO 6 = 10, Pass = 7.

2 [Awm] 2 was forcing one round. Do you agree with the auction so far? Would you pass 4 or bid five of a minor?

IMO Pass = 10. Because partner passed 3 X

3 [awm] Should north do more? Do you even want to be in slam on this pair of hands given the bidding?

IMO North did enough and the slam is about 50-50.
4 [awm] Is 4 obvious now? Or try 3NT? Or try for slam? Partner will have a 4351 or 4441 hand for this sequence (no 6-card diamond suits).

IMO 4 = 10, 4 = 9.

5 [sieong] Our carding agreements are udca, frequent suit preference. The first trick goes A - 4 - 7 - 5. What is your plan? What hands do you play declarer for?

IMO trump = 10, = 5.

6 [sieong] Would you bid 3 mixed raise the first time?

IMO 3 = 10, 3 = 9, 2 = 8, Pass = 5

7 [sieong] For the given auction, do you compete on?

IMO Yes you have some catching up to to do.

8 [Mbodell] Enough? Too much? Would you have bid differently?

IMO 5 = 10, 6 = 9.

9 [Mbodell] What now? I considered 4, 4, and X. Your choice?

IMO Double - 10, 4 = 6, 4 = 5.

10 [Mbodell] What now? I considered 4nt, 4, and 3nt. Your choice?

IMO 6 = 10, 5 = 9, 4 = 8, 4N = 7, 4 = 6, 3N = 5.

11 [Mbodell] T1 4-2-J-7 of hearts

IMO = 10, = 9.

12 [Mbodell] Do you bid 5, X, or P?

IMO Pass = 10, Double = 9, 5 = 5

13 [Mbodell] Same hand. You pass and lead the A and T1 goes A - Q - K - 2 and the dummy holds J9xxx Q AK9x 9xx. Your T2 play?

IMO A = 10.

14 [Mbodell] Do you X? What about given a state of match where you are down by 18 with 3 boards left to play, but 5 boards left to score (and the two boards you are through are a possible swing out and a possible swing in). Does that make it worth a state of the match action X?

IMO Pass = 10, Double = 9.

#17 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-20, 02:25

Here's what happened at the table in case anyone was still left hanging on these hands (I waited to try and get an unbiased poll after many had forgotten my hand):

We played 6 making 6, they were in 7 making 7 on an inferior line as covered in this thread. If the inferior (but still decent) line went down 1 we would have won.

I did X. This ended the auction and was covered in this thread and about half the voters would have also passed it out. If we had make it to 6m on the hand we would have won.

I bid 3nt at the table and pushed the board in 3nt making 12 tricks.

T1 4-2-J-7 of hearts

I don't think anything works here as it happens. I switched to a spade, but I think a diamond is better.

Do you bid 5, X, or P?

I passed the 5 and failed to lead the trump. On T2 I cashed the spade A and continued spades and as a result they made 5. Our teammates got no such help on defense and went off 1.

I didn't X (I'd strongly consider it at MP, but thought it was pretty crazy at IMPs - not sure about state of the match considerations). We set them 2, they probably do better in clubs, but not sure if they scramble/run if I double.

#18 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-November-20, 03:15

lol @ my answer to how to defend 5C, I do see why I was mystified, partner bid 1N with KQxx of spades over 1H instead of 1S, and RHOs bidding was pretty strange also. I guess we should figure it out when partner rips 3S but I would never expect partner to bypass spades, hence head explosion.

I still think passing 3S X is very bad and I don't get it. No spade trick and a stiff small heart and a great hand for the minors. Ofc I probably knew the hand from this thread so take that for what its worth.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users