BBO Discussion Forums: Is there a tag to rotate hands in .lin format ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a tag to rotate hands in .lin format ?

#1 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-29, 22:18

I know, odd question as it seems BBO is moving away from .lin readers.
I still love the old client though and I write many scripts to produce .lin files out of vugraph hands. It would be very useful if there was a way to rotate given hand. Say there is |pn| tag and then the cards/vulnerability/dealer follows as usual but then (or before) there is something which says: "present it rotated by 90 degrees".
I am digging through old Deal of The Week .lins to find it but so far no success.
Anybody, pls ? :)

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-30, 01:41

There's a way to do it on web, but not sure it's helpful for what you need. You can import the lin file on web, then open it with the hand editor and there is an option to rotate deal there (Options > Rotate deal). But then you'd have it in handviewer format, not lin.

#3 User is offline   mila6452 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-22, 18:03

If you understand the syntax of the md|| tag, than you can simply rotate/change the deal. If you have a look it would very easy. (The order is: South-West-North(-East); The first number defines the dealer: 1=South)
The sv|| tag will set vulnerability: n (NS) , e ( EW) , b(both), 0 ( none ) , as sv|n|,sv|e|,sv|b|,sv|0|.

#4 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-24, 18:38

View Postmila6452, on 2012-October-22, 18:03, said:

If you understand the syntax of the md|| tag, than you can simply rotate/change the deal. If you have a look it would very easy. (The order is: South-West-North(-East); The first number defines the dealer: 1=South)
The sv|| tag will set vulnerability: n (NS) , e ( EW) , b(both), 0 ( none ) , as sv|n|,sv|e|,sv|b|,sv|0|.

That effectively rotates it, but only with respect to who is opener, and as you mention, you need to alter vulnerability, if it was only one way before. But the hand that is South in the original remains South after the "rotation".

In answer to the original question, you could write a little "program", e.g. in python, but the format of the .lin file will force you to fill in the missing hand! The BBO lin file always starts with South (or West), the opposite of pbn, and leaves the fourth hand unspecified after the last comma in that section. So your rotation program needs to "fill in the 4th hand", then rotate. I am not sure whether you then need to blank the new 4th hand. I suspect you can specify all 4, but I have not tried it.

I noticed this two weekends ago, when writing a converter from .lin to pbn for a DD program that I had.

#5 User is offline   r_pakker 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-November-02, 16:42

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-September-29, 22:18, said:

I know, odd question as it seems BBO is moving away from .lin readers.
I still love the old client though and I write many scripts to produce .lin files out of vugraph hands. It would be very useful if there was a way to rotate given hand. Say there is |pn| tag and then the cards/vulnerability/dealer follows as usual but then (or before) there is something which says: "present it rotated by 90 degrees".
I am digging through old Deal of The Week .lins to find it but so far no success.
Anybody, pls ? :)

Maybe this program by Wayne Burrows, Cascade on BBO
http://www.ebridgenz.com/download.html
could be helpfull?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users