• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another UI case LA or not

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-05, 05:03

I don't have the exact hand, but basically you have 9 solid hearts 211 small cards, not sure which is the doubleton, vul is love all, you deal.

You open 4, LHO bids 4, partner passes slowly, pass to you, is pass a LA ? 5 is -1.

Also if you decide to adjust, 4 is not an automatic make. Presumably you can adjust to say 70% 4=/30% 4-1. How much benefit of the doubt do you give to the NoS in this situation.

#2 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 05:12

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-November-05, 05:03, said:

You open 4, LHO bids 4, partner passes slowly, pass to you, is pass a LA ? 5 is -1.

Pass is definitely an LA. Preempters normally don't bid again anyway - and after a slow pass really cannot to my mind. I don't see the 9th heart as much defence - I've seen people open 5 in the first place with that sort of hand - so it isn't as if it wasn't an option in the first place.

Admitedly I've seen many preempters bid again when they shouldn't - but no matter how inexperienced, IMO, they really should learn that a slow pass from partner does constrain them.

I'll leave others to answer the other question.

Nick

P.S. I've seen people open that sort of thing 2H (strong) many times too - much to Bluejak's consternation - and partner's when they double opps high level contract.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 05:50

I would definitely expect that Pass is an LA. However I expect that if partner passes smoothly that 5 would be an LA too and, depending on methods, in rare cases even double might be.

But when I have nine solid hearts and a singleton spade, my first thought is that partner is considering doubling. So I'm not convinced that 5 is suggested by the UI. But I may be in the minority as, interestingly, in a different case currently on bridgewinners, quite a number of posters are certain that slow passes in this situation always show offence, not defence.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-05, 06:26

View PostNickRW, on 2012-November-05, 05:12, said:

I've seen people open 5 in the first place with that sort of hand - so it isn't as if it wasn't an option in the first place.

Some people open 5M as a slam try. At least they used to; I am not sure how popular that approach is now.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-November-05, 06:41

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-05, 06:26, said:

Some people open 5M as a slam try. At least they used to; I am not sure how popular that approach is now.

Yeah, but it was normally a slam try which asked partner to bid slam with top trump honours, which you know they're not going to do.

#6 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 06:45

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-05, 06:26, said:

I've seen plenty of people play a free bid of 5M in the middle of auction as a slam try expressing that trump quality is the primary concern. I can't say I've seen anyone play that as an opening bid, though.

N
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-November-05, 08:01

View PostNickRW, on 2012-November-05, 06:45, said:

I've seen plenty of people play a free bid of 5M in the middle of auction as a slam try expressing that trump quality is the primary concern. I can't say I've seen anyone play that as an opening bid, though.

N

The classic never seen hand that was usually presented was QJ1098765432,AK,-,- for a 5 bid.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 08:27

View PostNickRW, on 2012-November-05, 06:45, said:

I had it on my card for several years. It never came up. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-05, 09:19

I have played a 5 opening as a pre-empt for 40+ years. It is very slightly more common than the slam try version!

As to the weighting, you decide what you think the likelihood is of making nine or ten tricks in spades dependent on your judgement and that of the people with whom you consult. Having decided, perhaps, that ten tricks will be made about two times in three, you then might give a small benefit of doubt swing, so rule something like

.. 70% of 4 =
+ 30% of 4 -1

Especially if you are unsure or the consultants disagree with each other a lot, you might make it 75%/25%. On the other hand if you think it will make ten tricks one time in three, then you might rule:

.. 35% of 4 =
+ 65% of 4 -1

or even 40%/60% as before.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#10 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 10:38

FWIW I would bid again. I don't think this is inconsistent with opening 4 and hoping either to buy the contract or to give partner the chance to double them.

#11 User is offline   Sjoerds 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:TD

Posted 2012-November-05, 11:45

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-05, 09:19, said:

As to the weighting, you decide what you think the likelihood is of making nine or ten tricks in spades dependent on your judgement and that of the people with whom you consult. Having decided, perhaps, that ten tricks will be made about two times in three, you then might give a small benefit of doubt swing,

And check if that outcome really benefits the NOP.
It will be most of the time... but it cannot hurt checking

#12 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 12:46

I would not consider pass. I have nine solid hearts and partner could not double.

Obviously I didn't open 4 because I consider it the limit of what the hand is worth. I opened 4 in case we take exactly ten tricks and they make nothing and/or let us play there. That seems much less likely now.

I don't have to stop playing bridge and just accept a poor result any time partner thinks before passing.

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-November-05, 12:49

View Postcampboy, on 2012-November-05, 10:38, said:

FWIW I would bid again. I don't think this is inconsistent with opening 4 and hoping either to buy the contract or to give partner the chance to double them.

I would also always bid again, and would know I was going to when I opted to bid 4 rather than 5.

I had no horse in this race, I was in the A team of a county match when our oppo did this in the B team. They volunteered that pass was an LA and conceded the adjustment to 4=. I thought that was generous although they were losing the match by the maximum regardless of the result on this board. The preempt sort of did its job, 6 is cold the other way.

Not sure what the slow pass was thinking about, hand was A8xx, xx, J9xx, J10x.

#14 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-November-05, 13:31

Preempters normally don't bid again anyway - and after a slow pass really cannot to my mind.

Sure they don't normally bid again but neither do they normally have nine solid.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#15 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 14:41

IF (big if) I could determine that the 4 bid was followed quickly by the 4 bid I don't think partners tank shows anything more than WTF? :blink: with any 13 cards and I would be searching for details before ruling. If the tank was less than a coma I may well let the 5 bid stand.

I would be more inclined to roll back a 5 bid after a fast pass by pard than over a reasonable tank.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#16 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-November-05, 15:52

There was a similar hand in some multiple teams event a while back (the Tollemache, or the premier league, or crockfords final, something like that) with exactly the same auction at a number of tables, sometimes with a slow pass and sometimes with an in tempo pass.

It was ruled - and I agreed with the ruling - that there was no LA to bidding 5H. This is in line with my usual rule for 'bidding again' rulings: if you have 2 cards more than you have shown, you usually bid.

#17 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2012-November-08, 06:21

I don't see the 9th heart as much defence

Nor do I. Which is why I would bid 5H.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#18 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-November-08, 07:35

I am with Nigel and Frances et al- I would rebid my suit.
But I understand that there are LAs, too many posters said so.

But anyway- the only bid a slow pass would suggest is double, because that covers all bases, so where is the problem?

Or is a partner who is unable to decide whether to pass or double quicker then a partner who needs to decide between pass and 5 ?
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-09, 05:07

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-05, 09:19, said:

I have played a 5 opening as a pre-empt for 40+ years. It is very slightly more common than the slam try version!

As to the weighting, you decide what you think the likelihood is of making nine or ten tricks in spades dependent on your judgement and that of the people with whom you consult. Having decided, perhaps, that ten tricks will be made about two times in three, you then might give a small benefit of doubt swing, so rule something like

.. 70% of 4 =
+ 30% of 4 -1

Especially if you are unsure or the consultants disagree with each other a lot, you might make it 75%/25%. On the other hand if you think it will make ten tricks one time in three, then you might rule:

.. 35% of 4 =
+ 65% of 4 -1

or even 40%/60% as before.

since 4-1 is worse than 5-1 would it make sense to rule 4= 70% 5-1 30%? is this ilegal ruling? (in case we ruled that pass is a LA)

#20 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-09, 05:12

Asusming pass is an LA and 5H is suggested, then yes it is an illigal ruling (this type known as a reveley ruling). As we have deemed 5H to be an illigal bid (in teh situatino given by Fluffy), we can't include any part of it in the adjustment.

If, though, there was a legal way to get to 5H, as there sometimes is in these cases, then it can be part of an adjustment.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users