• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tennis question Djokovic vs Nadal

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-08, 08:04

So I was watching Djokovic vs Nadal, and I saw a couple of statistics, they were kinda equal, for the first set, they were like:

First Serve in: 70%
First Serve point won: 73%
Second serve point won: 50%

Looking at this it looks like shooting second serve as if it was first serve would give you better chances than assuring the shoot.

I am not a big expert so maybe I am overlooking something, I could imagine that a double fault is too bad because you get tired while the other is not, and perhaps there is a psychological factor attached, but I am not really sure.

Also the percentages dropped down later on, so this could only be true for first set, or even first games of first set. But anyway, I also believe an important part of the points lost with seconds serve comes from the opponent expecting a safe shot rather than a hard one. This means a mixed strategy should kick ass, but didn't see anything close to that.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-08, 08:13

I can also believe that there would be a difference in these stats if you looked at serving to deuce and advantage courts. It might well be that the strategy might want to be more complicated than that, for example, you might want to do it differently serving at:

0-40
40-0
30-40
40-30

to the same court. I can believe that there are positions where you might want to just serve huge, and others where you might want to take a little bit off your first serve to try to get a serve that you win 60% of points on in 60% of the time for your first one.

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-June-08, 11:42

Does 73% winning mean 73% of all points or only 73% of first service points? If the latter, then roughly 51% of all points are won when first serves are in.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-08, 12:08

View PostFluffy, on 2013-June-08, 08:04, said:

First Serve in: 70%

This is high; I haven't looked at the numbers but mid-60s is probably a more reasonable expectation long-term.

Second serve point won: 50%

This is low for Djokovic, but against Nadal in the French it's probably decent. :-)

But anyway, I also believe an important part of the points lost with seconds serve comes from the opponent expecting a safe shot rather than a hard one.

Not on clay; you won't see many return winners there, even on second serves. The ball bounces too high and the opponent is unable to sneak in.

Basically, resorting to such a strategy would be conceding that the opponent is a superior player (since your expectation would be below 50%). I doubt someone like Djokovic would ever do it.

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-08, 12:44

Yeah, 70% first serves in is above average. 73% first serve points won is about normal for high ranked players.

A mixed strategy on second serve might work a little better. And yes, I think there is a psychological downer associated with a double fault.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-June-08, 12:52

Yes I've also thought the gap between first and second serve is too big for most players. I think it's just the same as in (American) football, they just rely too much on general wisdom. Although nobody will 'fire' a tennis player if he does unorthodox things so it's not a good comparison. But Federer and Andy Roddick sometimes hit very strong second serves I think, for example in the Wimbledon 2009 final.

off-topic: it would have been so cool to see Djokovic-Tsonga in the final, both winners would have made a great story. Nadal-Ferrer will be very boring. At least it won't last long :(
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-08, 12:57

Federer and Roddick had some good matches. Life timing was bad luck for Roddick, he probably wins 4-6 slams if his career didn't overlap the Fed so heavily.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-June-08, 13:13

The same goes for Fed and Nadal re. Roland Garros:) (except the bit about many good matches)
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-08, 23:01

View Postbillw55, on 2013-June-08, 12:44, said:

A mixed strategy on second serve might work a little better.

Agreed. And in my observation most of them do adopt a mixed strategy. Not convinced that the stats necessarily gainsay that.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-June-08, 23:49

Some of the low speeds for the 2nd serve reflect risk aversion
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-09, 08:20

It is 6-3, 3-1. Nadal is too good today.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-June-09, 09:30

View Posty66, on 2013-June-09, 08:20, said:

It is 6-3, 3-1. Nadal is too good today.

A quick look at Ferrer's record against the top 3 would have spared you the trouble of watching the final :)

edit: I meant Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, he has a respectable one vs Murray (5-7 I looked it up)
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users