BBO Discussion Forums: Defending 2NT showing minors - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defending 2NT showing minors

#1 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-October-07, 20:31

During the pairs of the recent NZ nationals.

Never having discussed it since it hardly ever comes up, the opponents open 2NT and I hold something like AJ KQ765 KJ7 AK3. I double, and other opp bids 3, over which partner bids 3. 4 should definitely be keycard since 3 looks forcing but not being 100% certain I opt for the practical bid of 6. Unfortunately it went three off as partner had six hearts and not much else :).

Just wondering what a good defence is? It shouldn't be hard to come up with something extremely effective, since all the club and diamond bids are free to show something as well as the heart and spade bids, and you get double dipping (passing and bidding meaning something different to bidding immediately), rather like over multi 2. It might be a waste of time agreeing a defence since it hardly ever happens but it would be nice to know what we're doing.
I Transfers

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-07, 22:00

I defended against this 2nt bid just yesterday in our Regional with the only agreement that double can penalize one or both minors.

It went 3 and pard with

Jxxx, KT9x, Qxxx, x knew which one I was after and bid 4. I had

AKx, QJx, x, AKQJTxx and picked 4 making on a stiff club lead having picked the moyse that split 4-2 instead of the one that split 5-1 :D

We had no idea what we were doing either but I think your double in that context should be forcing, pard passing in case that was something you wanted to hammer and then if you do and pard removes to 3, that's weaker than a direct bid in this case but agreeing that a direct 3 bid says I don't care what you "think" you are beating, I don't has a lot of merit.

Similar to 1x - dbl - rdbl by pard, then pass back to me. We play a bid as I don't care if you think you've got them, I don't.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-October-07, 22:08

One approach is to include 3C as lighter with one or both majors, such that 3M and 3D (both) are stronger.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-October-07, 22:57

Ken’s approach is moving in the direction of my own agreements –
A direct 3 overcall = both majors, longer
A direct 3 overcall = both majors, longer
A direct X = both majors, majors equal in length
A direct X followed by a suit bid = a powerful 1-suited hand
A direct X followed by 3NT = natural balanced (if partner can make a bid showing some life).

[This post has been edited]

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-07, 23:31

What if the auction goes (2NT)-2NT-(Director)? What is X here vs. a suit bid?
[edit] It was funnier before 32159 edited out the part about 2NT and continuations.

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 02:43

We use Kit's method:

Double = strong balanced
3 = majors
3 = weak single-suited major
3M = constructive overcall

The 3 overcall is defined as a hand that does not really have the values to bid at the three-level but cannot face passing.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 03:18

Most people here play something like
3: take-out with equal length or longer hearts
3: take-out with longer spades.

I suppose 5-3 or 4-4 is enough.

Not sure about the 4-level overcalls, but I think it would be sensible to play
4=both majors
4/= transfer
Alternatively, 4 could be multi which would allow you to distinguis between a weakish 4 overcall and a stronger one. But if opps compete to 5m it is good for partner to know which suit you have. So I think I would prefer transfers.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 03:21

I think what helene posted for 3m overcalls is reasonably standard without special agreements, although most would require more shape than 5-3/4-4. To that I would add X as balanced or semi-balanced values and 3M as natural and constructive. At the 4 level, 4 as a general cue and 4 as pick a major with 4M as a GOSH seems sensible to me. Using this method you have to pass and compete next time around with a weaker hand and a long major, which is a loss against the defence Paul posted. Against that you are better placed if it starts, for example, (2NT) - 3 - (4).
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-October-10, 21:18

A wrinkle you might enjoy:

Double = strong balanced hand with one or both minors covered. 14+

3 = full value plus overcall
3 = full value plus overcall
3/ = to play. Usually 6 cards with little else.
3N = BOTH Majors Forcing

Over 3/ advancer uses / (the sandwich strain) to accept game and induce control bidding (serious). Minor suit calls by advancer are nonserious. 4 Other Major to play (unless you like something else here).
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#10 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-10, 23:30

We like:
Directly over 2NT:
DBL Balanced, 14+, or 18+ with a Major
3 Majors, 5+ Hearts + 4+ Spades (3 asks for 5 Spades).
3 Majors, 4 Hearts + 5-6 Spades
(2NT) 3m (any): 4m is a slam try in the corresponding Major
3M NAT overcall
3NT Tricks
4 6+ hearts + 4 spades (2+ card disparity), FG
4 6+ spades + 4 hearts (2+ card disparity), FG

NOTE: with 1-suited Major, weakest auction is P then bid the Major, middle is bid the Major immediately, strongest is DBL then bid the Major

(2NT) DBL (3):
DBL Resp
3R Inv+ transfer
3 Short clubs, 4-4 (rarely 4-3) Ms

(2NT) DBL (3):
DBL Cards, no clear action

(2NT) Pass (3m):
DBL T/O oriented
Cheapest cue bid Majors, usually limited
Other cue-bid Majors, FG
Others NAT

(2NT) Pass (3M) ?
DBL PEN (anti-psychic device)
3NT NAT

Incidentally, I think it's important to realize that when you're talking about defenses to things like this, you need to consider what happens after responder acts (either over DBL or over P) as well as what you do in immediate position. And I don't think you can take the risk of passing 2NT with a strong hand, because responder CAN pass (if NV) with some hands.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-October-11, 00:36

3C/3D=5 card major in H/S, 4 card major in the other one
3M=natural
3NT=natural
4C=strong 4M bid
4D=5-5 or better majors
4M=4M bid
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-11, 05:11

There's a common hole in a lot of the defences suggested above - when we show 5-4 in the majors, partner can basically either sign-off in three or bid game - he can't invite. What is he supposed to do with eight or nine points and a modest fit?

You end up with defences that are worse than playing nothing. In the "nothing" defence, you would tend to double on all decent hands (pass and double weak take out) with next double take-out. So you generally start (2NT)-x-(3m), and partner can make a responsive double or bid 3M invitational with a five-carder. Starting with double gives partner the otion of making a voluntary action over 3m, which exposes the principle weakness of artificial preempts. Direct actions with poorly defined ranges force partner to bid and thus remove our ability to invite. Playing the "nothing" defence also gains when partner passes our follow-up double of 3m when we had 54M and a decent hand.

Now obviously the "nothing" defence is also terrible, but there are several solutions that solve the range and suit length issues trivially.

#13 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-October-11, 08:24

My own defense:

X = balanced hand, 14+, or normal X & pull hand.
3 shows both majors, 5-4 or better. After 3, 3 or X asks opener to bid their better major. You can make some follow-ups at 3N & higher to show really strong 5=5 or 6+4+ hands in this, too, though we haven't gotten around to it.
3 is a single-suited major hand in the intermediate range - not quite good enough for a direct 4M, but close. Major suit responses are pass or correct.
3/3 - normal overcall
Chris Gibson

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users