• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Competitive matchpoint auction 2/1 GF

#1 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-05, 06:20

Matchpoint pairs.

Playing 2/1 (and a prepared club rather than better minor), partner opens 1. RHO passes, and you feel quite comfortable bidding 1. LHO then jams the works with 3, which is passed around to you. If you enquire, RHO is uncertain about the agreement but says (unprompted) that it's natural and "I think it's weak".

Please rate (and give reasons, if you will) the following calls:
Pass
Double
Other

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-05, 06:32

3 for me, eagerly waiting to hear if any other option makes sense.

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-October-05, 07:06

This is the kind of situation where intermediate jump shifts (8+ to 11-) solve a world of problems.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 07:27

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-October-05, 07:06, said:

This is the kind of situation where intermediate jump shifts (8+ to 11-) solve a world of problems.

Agreed, but I'm playing bridge in strong jump shift territory, and it's been enough of an adventure introducing things such as 2/1. In the unfortunate absence of intermediate jump shifts, what would you recommend here?

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-October-05, 07:36

View PostCamHenry, on 2012-October-05, 07:27, said:

Agreed, but I'm playing bridge in strong jump shift territory, and it's been enough of an adventure introducing things such as 2/1. In the unfortunate absence of intermediate jump shifts, what would you recommend here?

You have only shown 4 spades, and partner has only shown 3 clubs. You have obnly shown 6+ HCP, and partner only 11+ HCP. From both sides, then, the auction somewhat parallels 3-P-P-? I suppose, then, that I would be forced into a really bad guess. 3 seems reasonable, because I have a 7-loser hand, and I tend to look at LTC when pinched mercilously. I am somewhat considering the merits of 3 as an option, BTW. 3 would ostensibly show 5/4, obviously. But, the is a slight nuance here that partner likely has four hearts, where a heart contract might be best (partner with 1-4-3-5?). But, that thought is a little out there.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 08:22

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-October-05, 07:36, said:

You have only shown 4 spades, and partner has only shown 3 clubs. You have obnly shown 6+ HCP, and partner only 11+ HCP. From both sides, then, the auction somewhat parallels 3-P-P-? I suppose, then, that I would be forced into a really bad guess. 3 seems reasonable, because I have a 7-loser hand, and I tend to look at LTC when pinched mercilously. I am somewhat considering the merits of 3 as an option, BTW. 3 would ostensibly show 5/4, obviously. But, the is a slight nuance here that partner likely has four hearts, where a heart contract might be best (partner with 1-4-3-5?). But, that thought is a little out there.

This argument is why I considered double, which this partner consistently views as takeout-focused (and yes, he'll bid 3 or 4 with 1=4=3=5).

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-October-05, 08:25

View PostCamHenry, on 2012-October-05, 08:22, said:

This argument is why I considered double, which this partner consistently views as takeout-focused (and yes, he'll bid 3 or 4 with 1=4=3=5).

Reasonable.

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 08:49

the main danger in bidding weak long suits is a trump stack showing
up behind us. This is a non factor this hand. I would not hesitate to
invite game with

3s

since I have a top of the line weak 2 opposite an
opening partner the risk for this bid should be minimal with a possible
big reward for our competitive savvy. Too few hands overall where 4h
will play better than 4s and too many hands where p with Ax in spades
would ever choose spades in preference to hearts/clubs/nt.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-October-05, 10:57

3 seems right at this point. Because you are bidding at the 3 level, it should show about 6 decent /5 really good s and about 10 HCP.

Double would show a willingness to compete (i.e. having values) but no clear direction as to where to play.

#10 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 11:53

I double for sure. I think partner will be passing it a fair amount of the time, for good profit.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#11 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 03:55

OK, the majority view is 3, with some consideration for showing the fragment (either by 3 or X). Partner's hand was:
QJx
Kxx
AJx
Qxxx

and he raised my 3 to 4, going one off on a high diamond lead and (when I ducked) a heart switch, then a club return. 3 goes 1 off every time, sometimes 2 off, which means you need best defense to beat the missed partscore.

I'm glad it wasn't an easy problem that I got wrong!

#12 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 05:24

Followup question: should partner raise 3 to 4 with his hand?

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 05:25

View PostCamHenry, on 2012-October-06, 03:55, said:

OK, the majority view is 3, with some consideration for showing the fragment (either by 3 or X). Partner's hand was:
QJx
Kxx
AJx
Qxxx

and he raised my 3 to 4, going one off on a high diamond lead and (when I ducked) a heart switch, then a club return. 3 goes 1 off every time, sometimes 2 off, which means you need best defense to beat the missed partscore.

I'm glad it wasn't an easy problem that I got wrong!

I don't agree you got it wrong.

If partner bids on (which is doubtful) it's MUCH easier to construct hand where 3NT is cold than where Four Spades is. Partner punished you for competing in a position where Four Spades would often go down even if you were slightly stronger (you have a near max) and you might have had a lot less than you did.

#14 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 10:12

View PostAntrax, on 2012-October-06, 05:24, said:

Followup question: should partner raise 3 to 4 with his hand?

Followup to that one is:

"Given partner's propensity to raise at the slightest provocation, should I have made a call more conducive to underbidding?" :)

#15 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 10:31

It was an honest question, to me it seems that with no interference, he should decline an invite in spades. If it went 1-1; 1NT-some checkback gadget, would he accept the invite? Does 3 show something much better than that?

#16 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-October-07, 10:05

I think 3 was right in the pass out seat with 4 a distant second. I would not double because partner will too often bid hearts. And I doubt that 4 Heartsd opposite a 2425 hand or similar is better then 4 spades.
Partners 4 was a guess. You can have much weaker hands, so passing is an option too. And you may hold a hand where 3 NT is down but 4 makes. I think that 3 NT will be superior to 4 and pass quite often, but I would not consider it as clear as others did. F.E. give yourself a singleton club and 4 spade will often make much more tricks then 3 NT.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users