• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"A nothing hand"

#1 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-03, 06:39

This is a hand from the Lederer, which is a hybrid of IMP and BAM scoring. The effect is that overtricks are worth more than at IMPs, but less than at matchpoints.

There are also prizes for best-bid, best-played, and best-defended hand. (Vampyr and Lamford ought to get a prize too, for the efficient way that they organise it.)

West led a trump. I won, drew trumps in two rounds, and led a diamond to the queen. East (Zia) won the king and played a spade to West's ace. West played back a spade. I finessed, ruffed a diamond, crossed to a spade, ruffed a diamond, crossed in trumps, and led a club to the 10. LHO won the king, I claimed, and Zia said "It's a nothing hand."

Was he right?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 06:59

I want to think about your actual question, but I am distracted by Zia's switch to a spade rather than a club, with this dummy in view (and despite partner bidding the suit).
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-October-03, 07:32

View Postbillw55, on 2012-October-03, 06:59, said:

I want to think about your actual question, but I am distracted by Zia's switch to a spade rather than a club, with this dummy in view (and despite partner bidding the suit).

Yes, he would deserve the worst-defended hand prize for trying to let it through if I had AQ9. In fact, though, I see from the hand-records that he had 9, so we can let him off that.

That wasn't what my question was about, anyway.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-October-03, 07:34

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:07

They have a working sac in diamonds?

#5 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:10

Edit: double post

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:12

On a club back you have the opportunity to play a spade to the king and play for Qx offside?

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 13:56

I am baffled as to why you have created this thread - but I have faith it will turn out to be a fruitful and informative one.

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-October-03, 14:33

View PostPhilKing, on 2012-October-03, 13:56, said:

I am baffled as to why you have created this thread - but I have faith it will turn out to be a fruitful and informative one.

Whilst you're waiting, you could try flicking through the pages of Play These Hands With Me.

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 14:38

from the standpoint of the contract and the lie of the cards he is right it is a nothing hand.

he is wrong to assume all tables would bid the hand the same way and your 4h making was
most likely the best result by far.

#10 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 14:43

View Postgnasher, on 2012-October-03, 06:39, said:

This is a hand from the Lederer, which is a hybrid of IMP and BAM scoring. The effect is that overtricks are worth more than at IMPs, but less than at matchpoints.

There are also prizes for best-bid, best-played, and best-defended hand. (Vampyr and Lamford ought to get a prize too, for the efficient way that they organise it.)

West led a trump. I won, drew trumps in two rounds, and led a diamond to the queen. East (Zia) won the king and played a spade to West's ace. West played back a spade. I finessed, ruffed a diamond, crossed to a spade, ruffed a diamond, crossed in trumps, and led a club to the 10. LHO won the king, I claimed, and Zia said "It's a nothing hand."

Was he right?

Perhaps west has the KJ of clubs, and it was cold off if rho returns a club before the spades are eliminated? Did he win the K to make Zia feel better about the spade switch? Alternatively, west could have stiff K of clubs.

Thats all I got. :)

The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#11 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 15:04

I haven't checked if it stands up to any analysis, but perhaps you were worried Zia had switched to Qx spade.

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 15:27

View Postgnasher, on 2012-October-03, 14:33, said:

Whilst you're waiting, you could try flicking through the pages of Play These Hands With Me.

Don't need to flick the pages - the hands are all in my 4000 hand play database.

I am waiting to see if this is a contender for 4001.

Some information for contender hands has to be included. For instance, what did West discard on the second trump? Or did he follow, having led from two small? Some critical pieces of the jigsaw are missing. I am still missing a sense of significance here.

The Qx thing doesn't really resonate.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-October-03, 16:10

The East-West hands were AQ653 8 A1075 K85 and 94 Q9 KJ864 J973. What I had in mind was a defensive possibility, identical to one described by Reese.

#14 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 16:46

If West pitches down to Kx club then ducks it you might go off playing for the over?

#15 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 16:48

East has to play CJ at T12 looking like he has KJ left

#16 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 17:15

OK - I will enter the hand into my database.

:)

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-October-03, 17:16

Yes. I'd kept 2 in case both clubs were onside. In the deal described by Reese, he reached the same ending and West ducked, but East didn't play the jack at trick 12, so Reese dropped the king offside.

I tried to claim the best-defended-hand prize for noticing this possibility at the table, but Lamford rather woodenly insisted that only defenders were eligible for this prize.

#18 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-04, 01:05

View Postgnasher, on 2012-October-03, 17:16, said:

I tried to claim the best-defended-hand prize for noticing this possibility at the table, but Lamford rather woodenly insisted that only defenders were eligible for this prize.

Shame about Zia's comment, he could've claimed he had it all planned from the time he played the spade back - I am yet to find any other merit to the play!

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-October-04, 06:20

This looks like something that ought to go into the defensive falsecards database. Can you perhaps give a short write-up of what needs to be in place for it to be correct to go up with the jack here, Andy?
(-: Zel :-)

#20 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-04, 09:59

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-October-04, 06:20, said:

This looks like something that ought to go into the defensive falsecards database. Can you perhaps give a short write-up of what needs to be in place for it to be correct to go up with the jack here, Andy?

It is playing the card you are known to have. This is important at trick TWELVE when you want declarer to play you for another card also lol for obvious reasons.

One that comes up more often is xx opp AJ9xxx. You play low to the 9 and it loses to an honor. You lead another one up...if it goes low on your right and you need 5 tricks you have to go up with the ace. So of course, RHO with Tx remaining should always play the ten, it is mandatory.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users