BBO Discussion Forums: Responding to 2NT - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to 2NT What's good &/or simple?

#21 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-30, 15:08

View Posthan, on 2012-September-30, 03:45, said:

x xxx Axxx AJxxx

Good hand to start with puppet stayman and then bid minor suit stayman if partner does not have a 5-card major. If partner has 5 spades then you stop in 3NT of course, and if partner has 5 hearts you are often happy that you didn't end in 3NT.

Oops, did I write something in favor of puppet stayman? Sorry Justin!

By the way, I am aware that 2NT - 3C - 3D - 3S is not minor suit stayman in "standard" puppet stayman but I don't know any good pairs that play standard puppet stayman. It is minor suit stayman for me.

There are so many versions of continuations that it's not clear to me what you mean by "standard puppet stayman". What does your 3 response show?

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-01, 04:01

View Postjallerton, on 2012-September-28, 15:29, said:

By the way, if you want to improve the right-siding of your structure above, why not swap the minors around? Then you get:

3S = minors or clubs (Opener bids 3NT if he doesn't like clubs)
4C = diamonds
4D/4H = texas

That looks familiar! (see post #7)

Note that hans' hand can be handled by bidding Puppet and following with a 4 response over 3 from Opener to show 54 and slam interest. It is not as good as hans' method for this hand of course. Would be interesting to see the entire structure.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#23 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-October-07, 22:34

This is what I do. I think it allows you to bid every hand you can have.

After a transfer to a major,
- If opener has three or more, he accepts. Now new suits are cues, and 3NT/4NT is RKCB.
- If opener has two or fewer, he bids 3NT. A new suit is now natural, and step is RKCB for that suit, and 2NT 3/ 3NT 4NT is quantitative invite with a five card major.

4 of a suit is a slam try (hoping for mostly aces/kings rather than queens/jacks). Step is RKCB. 4NT after 4-minor shows a crap hand for slam. 4-minor could be forcing to slam or a try, but 4-major is only a try.

3 minor suit stayman OR 6-card major that wants to force to slam. 3NT shows a crap hand for slam in a minor (cards are mostly kings/queens/jacks in the majors). 4-minor shows an OK+ hand for slam. Then step RKCB for the minor. 4 is RKCB (setting hearts) and 4NT is RKCB (setting spades). Over 3NT response, 4 is RKCB for hearts and 4 is RKCB for spades, 4/4 show shortage and at least 5-5 in the minors and invite to slam (if they don't have kings/queens/jacks in shortage), and 4NT is seriously just pick a minor but I've given up on slam.

Muppet stayman. 4/4 over 3/3 is a slam try in clubs/diamonds - proceed as over a 4/ immediate response. 3 over 3 proceeds same as 3 initial response.

I bet you can't come up with a responding hand that will have trouble over a 2NT opening using the above :)
I Transfers

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-October-08, 04:25

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-October-07, 22:34, said:

I bet you can't come up with a responding hand that will have trouble over a 2NT opening using the above :)

53 perhaps?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#25 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 04:44

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-October-07, 22:34, said:

Responder has 5M and 4-5m where opener completes the transfer to show fit. You play cues here, which I think understates the case for exploring a better fit and the advantage of showing a second suit for slam purposes in general.

You can have your cake and eat it after completing the transfer to show fit with a mixture of shortages and second suits via puppet.

#26 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-26, 13:27

View Postshevek, on 2012-September-26, 16:08, said:

Back to Puppet, what is 3 - 3 - 4x?
Some texts say 4/ now show different strength major hands, to be dummy. Is that best?

No.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#27 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-September-26, 14:32

Two years to type two letters. Might be a record.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#28 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-26, 14:48

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-September-26, 14:32, said:

Two years to type two letters. Might be a record.

LOL I didn't necro the thread.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users