• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

contract from other room

#21 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-September-16, 03:54

The origin of this conversation was not much more than knowing the denomination. that's also slightly interesting information, but is worth less.

#22 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-16, 04:44

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-September-16, 03:54, said:

The origin of this conversation was not much more than knowing the denomination. that's also slightly interesting information, but is worth less.

I would think that even knowing who the declarer was in the other room would be valuable, so that even if you could just see that, in the board you are waiting for, the dummy is down on your side, but the opponents seem to have the balance of points, you could conclude that your side decided to sacrifice. Taking into account the skill level of your team-mates, and their system, you could decide whether that sacrifice was likely to be worthwhile. Also, whether North or South was declarer in the other room could assist you with an opening lead against as mundane an auction as 1NT-3NT.

It is almost impossible to prevent someone seeing who declarer is on one previous occasion a board is played in a pairs event. The unsrupulous player might note, for example, that on board 24 South was dummy, and use this information when the board appears. Not enough is done at bridge events to prevent unauthorised information from another source.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#23 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-16, 18:24

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-14, 08:37, said:

How can it be good or bad? I'm just asking how big of an advantage it would be. The answer is somewhere between 0 and 24 imps (in practice, it might be negative of course, if someone consistently overthinks situations).

It might also matter if everyone knows that this is going on, including the other table. It might be good mixed strategy to sometimes give up an over trick at the first table to turn a sure -650 into -680 and tempt the opponents in the other room in to a no make slam.

#24 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-September-17, 00:39

View PostMbodell, on 2012-September-16, 18:24, said:

It might also matter if everyone knows that this is going on, including the other table. It might be good mixed strategy to sometimes give up an over trick at the first table to turn a sure -650 into -680 and tempt the opponents in the other room in to a no make slam.

I would then try to get new teammates. ;) (But OK it would work to duck a trick as declarer to turn +680 into +650)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users