• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

compete, pass or pull

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-13, 07:53

I think those who bids 4 expects their pd to hold 6 spades all the time and also thinks that a constructive 2 raise promises 2 tricks in defense, which i disagree.

A 1 opener promises 2 tricks in defense in theory but even this was faded long time ago when people started to open very light. We did not make a limit raise, constructive or not we made a simple 2 raise. I am having hard time to understand the complaints about this hand being look like a preempt 3 more than 2 because it has no defense values. Since when we created a rule that says a constructive 2 raise should have 1 or 2 tricks in defense ?

I also dont understand the prediction of pd having Axxxxx xx AKx xx. Really ? If you opponents bid 4 on 21 hcp and only 8 card fit, and they masterfully figured out the location of Q even when the doubler is pd, what are we supposed to do ? Do you think 4 doubled or undoubled -1 or -2 will be a good score ? Just say weldone to your opponents and move on, they deserved it if thats the case.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 09:14

MrAce, on 2012-September-13, 07:01, said:

We all predict that due to hand being posted in this forum. And i have a feeling we will find out that there was something wrong with either 3 bid or DBL or both at the end.

I still replied ignoring this.

My motives are not the ulterior ones you seem to suspect.
First there seem to be 18 total trumps. If there are as many tricks you will only gain if they divide 9-9. If there are more tricks passing the DBL is always wrong. Partner could have 6 spades.
I use to tell my partner:
If I have confirmed a fit and then double opponents in their fit my doubles are only a suggestion and never show a trump stack.
This is one of my most important agreements, because this scenario is very common.
I believe these DBL are left in far too quickly.
Partner is simply showing more than a minimum opening hand with his double and uncertainty whether to bid on or defend.
I do not like my hand for defense.

Rainer Herrmann

#23 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-September-13, 09:48

rhm, on 2012-September-13, 09:14, said:

My motives are not the ulterior ones you seem to suspect.
First there seem to be 18 total trumps. If there are as many tricks you will only gain if they divide 9-9. If there are more tricks passing the DBL is always wrong. Partner could have 6 spades.
If I have confirmed a fit and then double opponents in their fit my doubles are only a suggestion and never show a trump stack.
This is one of my most important agreements, because this scenario is very common.
Partner is simply showing more than a minimum opening hand with his double and uncertainty whether to bid on or defend.
I do not like my hand for defense.

Rainer Herrmann

Disagree with this. If partner had a hand that was uncertain whether he wanted to bid 4 to make, he would have make a game try. In fact, its certain that he does not want to bid 4 as an attempt to make, and that his double is a strong indication that he does NOT want me to save.
Chris Gibson

#24 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 09:51

rhm, on 2012-September-13, 09:14, said:

I could live with that at IMPs, but at matchpoints you have to be able to make a penalty double in this type of sequence. What is partner supposed to do with something like AJxxxx x xxx AKx, where he thinks he was making 3, he doesn't think the opponents are making 4, and he has no interest in playing 4?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#25 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 10:13

gnasher, on 2012-September-13, 09:51, said:

I could live with that at IMPs, but at matchpoints you have to be able to make a penalty double in this type of sequence. What is partner supposed to do with something like AJxxxx x xxx AKx, where he thinks he was making 3, he doesn't think the opponents are making 4, and he has no interest in playing 4?

I do not see where I disagree with you. You call it penalty I call it optional. But if you change AK for the AK where is your defense going?
I agree with your double but I am pretty sure my partner does not have 4 defensive tricks on this bidding.
Your hand is an example where both sides have 9 tricks.
It is just too close for my liking.

Rainer Herrmann

#26 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 10:15

Codo, on 2012-September-13, 07:11, said:

What about a pure hand with 3 tricks, like Axxxxx,xx,AKx,xx?

I consider a double with this hand to be a serious error. Pard more likely has only 5 cards in spades of dubious quality and more defensive stuff than that.

You have to give me 6 petunias in spades (moving the Ace somewhere else) and add a body card or two to make this look like a double in my partnership.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#27 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 10:22

ggwhiz, on 2012-September-13, 10:15, said:

I consider a double with this hand to be a serious error. Pard more likely has only 5 cards in spades of dubious quality and more defensive stuff than that.

You have to give me 6 petunias in spades (moving the Ace somewhere else) and add a body card or two to make this look like a double in my partnership.

If pard has slightly more we have good play for 4

Rainer Herrmann

#28 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 10:27

rhm, on 2012-September-13, 10:22, said:

If pard has slightly more we have good play for 4

Rainer Herrmann

Not opposite a slow minor suit trick like QJx or Qx you don't.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#29 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 13:37

I think that partner is more likely to have a 5-1-3-4 or 5-1-3-3 with some tricks.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#30 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 13:52

han, on 2012-September-13, 13:37, said:

I think that partner is more likely to have a 5-1-3-4 or 5-1-3-3 with some tricks.

I find 5-1-3-3 very unlikely.
Chris Gibson

#31 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 05:03

Partner had AJ10xx x AQxx Qxx

none of the 4 queens worked on defence and declarer made 12 tricks when spades weren't led, -1190 was 0%, but -680 wasn't much better.

#32 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 05:49

CSGibson, on 2012-September-13, 09:48, said:

Disagree with this. If partner had a hand that was uncertain whether he wanted to bid 4 to make, he would have make a game try. In fact, its certain that he does not want to bid 4 as an attempt to make, and that his double is a strong indication that he does NOT want me to save.

Did you see the auction wrong? partner's double is in reopening position, you passed 4 around with this cards (bidding 4 is also an option althou nobody comented on it)

#33 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 08:59

Fluffy, on 2012-September-14, 05:49, said:

Did you see the auction wrong? partner's double is in reopening position, you passed 4 around with this cards (bidding 4 is also an option althou nobody comented on it)

I did see the auction wrong.
Chris Gibson

#34 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 10:39

Fluffy, on 2012-September-14, 05:03, said:

Partner had AJ10xx x AQxx Qxx

none of the 4 queens worked on defence and declarer made 12 tricks when spades weren't led, -1190 was 0%, but -680 wasn't much better.

I have no idea why he doubled, or why he didn't lead spades?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#35 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 11:45

lalldonn, on 2012-September-14, 10:39, said:

I have no idea why he doubled, or why he didn't lead spades?

Because it is MP, you made a constructive raise and he thought he had to protect his plus score.
2 overtricks was admittedly unlucky.

Rainer Herrmann

#36 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-14, 11:54

The double made it worse but only marginally. The more fundamental problem is not bidding an obvious 4-over-4 with 9 . The opponents could yet make 5, but you'd have bid the limit of your hands. If you were playing a dreaded convention that starts with a "B" and made the appropriate 3-level bid to show a mixed raise with four trumps, partner would have an easier time bidding 4. Since you were not playing that convention, you have a guess both over 4 and whether to pull or pass partner's eventual double of 4. It'd be clearly wrong to bid 4 directly as there're many hands where 9 tricks are the limit for both sides. And as some posters have pointed out, partner could easily have had his competitive 3 bid and his double of 4.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#37 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 11:56

rhm, on 2012-September-14, 11:45, said:

Because it is MP, you made a constructive raise and he thought he had to protect his plus score.
2 overtricks was admittedly unlucky.

Rainer Herrmann

The raise is not defined as constructive (even if you have to throw that word in to make your point more effective), nor did he know if he was getting a plus score, nor did he know if failing to protect it would result in a bad score, nor did he have reason to believe it was protect-able (i.e. that the opponents would be down).

So I suppose I agree with "it is MP" and with "2 overtricks was admittedly unlucky" but not with anything else. And it still doesn't explain why he didn't lead spades. Any other lead looks strange.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#38 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 12:23

lalldonn, on 2012-September-14, 11:56, said:

The raise is not defined as constructive (even if you have to throw that word in to make your point more effective), nor did he know if he was getting a plus score, nor did he know if failing to protect it would result in a bad score, nor did he have reason to believe it was protect-able (i.e. that the opponents would be down).

So I suppose I agree with "it is MP" and with "2 overtricks was admittedly unlucky" but not with anything else. And it still doesn't explain why he didn't lead spades. Any other lead looks strange.

In chronological sequence:

Fluffy, on 2012-September-12, 14:49, said:

2 is a constructive raise (8-10 balanced typically)

rhm, on 2012-September-13, 03:19, said:

I pull. I expect my partner to have a singleton heart and a good hand. My thin constructive raise contains no defensive tricks.
I bet one game is making

MrAce, on 2012-September-13, 07:53, said:

We did not make a limit raise, constructive or not we made a simple 2 raise. I am having hard time to understand the complaints about this hand being look like a preempt 3 more than 2 because it has no defense values. Since when we created a rule that says a constructive 2 raise should have 1 or 2 tricks in defense ?

There seems to be no agreement what a constructive raise shows.

Rainer Herrmann

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users