BBO Discussion Forums: Romney vs. Obama - BBO Discussion Forums

• 59 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Romney vs. Obama Can Nate Silver be correct?

#1161 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-06, 07:14

Since noone came back on it, I thought I should provide the answer to my little "quiz" from post 986:

…the best country in the world…
…and let’s say it: with <snip name of Head of State>, the finest Head of State on earth.
I was trying to think of my favourite moment.
Was it telling President Hollande that no, we hadn't cheated at the cycling, we didn't have rounder wheels, it was just that we peddled faster than the French?

This is still the greatest country on earth. We showed that again this summer.

and

The job of this party ... of this government ... is to help to bring out the best in this country. Because at our best we're unbeatable.

were said by David Cameron (PM of GB) at the Conservative Party conference. The full text is available online. Waving the flag is not a specifically American thing. I could have come up with plenty of other examples from various other countries but I thought the references to cycling and the summer would make this one easy to guess.
(-: Zel :-)

#1162 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-06, 09:55

I read part of the Cameron speech that is linked above.. reading the full speech, any speech, by any politician, is difficult. But I saw one part that also has a U.S. echo:

Now I know you are asking whether the plan is working.

And here's the truth: the damage was worse than we thought, and it's taking longer than we hoped.

Back to the claims of greatness:
Whether at the personal level or the national level, I have never thought that "l am the greatest" is a very good way to start a conversation. Worked for Ali I guess, but ...
Anyway, I make an exception for speeches like the above whether by Cameron or Obama or whomever. . It's blah blah, and no one is expected to regard it as anything else.
Ken

#1163 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-December-21, 22:22

This article in The Atlantic gives an interesting perspective on the folks working on the technical side of the Obama campaign: When the Nerds Go Marching In

That next most technically advanced CTO, in 2016, will not be Harper Reed. A few days after the election, sitting with his wife at Wicker Park's Handlebar, eating fish tacos, and drinking a Daisy Cutter pale ale, Reed looks happy. He'd told me earlier in the day that he'd never experienced stress until the Obama campaign, and I believe him.

He regaled us with stories about his old performance troupe, Jugglers Against Homophobia, wild clubbing and DJs. "It was this whole world of having fun and living in the moment," Reed said. "And there was a lot of doing that on the Internet."

"I spent a lot of time hacking doing all this stuff, building websites, building communities, working all the time, " Reed said, "and then a lot of time drinking, partying, and hanging out. And I had to choose when to do which."

We left Handlebar and made a quick pitstop at the coffee shop, Wormhole, where he first met Slaby. Reed cracks that it's like Reddit come to life. Both of them remember the meeting the same way: Slaby playing the role of square, Reed playing the role of hipster. And two minutes later, they were ready to work together. What began 18 months ago in that very spot was finally coming to an end. Reed could stop being Obama for America's CTO and return to being "Harper Reed, probably one of the coolest guys ever," as his personal webpage is titled.

But of course, he and his whole team of nerds were changed by the experience. They learned what it was like to have -- and work with people who had -- a higher purpose than building cool stuff. "Teddy [Goff] would tear up talking about the President. I would be like, 'Yeah, that guy's cool,'" Reed said. "It was only towards the end, the middle of 2012, when we realized the gravity of what we were doing."

Part of that process was Reed, a technologist's technologist, learning the limits of his own power. "I remember at one point basically breaking down during the campaign because I was losing control. The success of it was out of my hands," he told me. "I felt like the people I hired were right, the resources we argued for were right. And because of a stupid mistake, or people were scared and they didn't adopt the technology or whatever, something could go awry. We could lose."

And losing, they felt more and more deeply as the campaign went on, would mean horrible things for the country. They started to worry about the next Supreme Court Justices while they coded.

"There is the egoism of technologists. We do it because we can create. I can handle all of the parameters going into the machine and I know what is going to come out of it," Reed said. "In this, the control we all enjoyed about technology was gone."

But the US came through. Well done.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

• 59 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users