• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lot of minor cards

#21 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-September-17, 13:21

I'm bidding 5 . Partner should interpret it as about exactly the hand that is held -- a 6-6 minor hand.

At IMPs, I take the insurance policy against 5 and bid 6 .

#22 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2012-September-17, 22:18

View Postrmnka447, on 2012-September-17, 13:21, said:

I'm bidding 5 . Partner should interpret it as about exactly the hand that is held -- a 6-6 minor hand.

At IMPs, I take the insurance policy against 5 and bid 6 .

IMO after 1 (1) Pass (2) 5 (5) it is up to your partner to decide. If he had chosen to Pass then pass is better.

#23 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-September-18, 03:18

View Postandrei, on 2012-September-10, 08:31, said:

w/r, IMP, first seat

1. How many clubs would you bid now?

2. If you bid 5C, and it goes (5S) - p - (p), what now?

Kindly post the full hand for me please. I'd like to see the full layout.

Thank you.

#24 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 21:47

spots approximate

this was not a success.
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#25 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-September-19, 21:57

No surprise that 6C worked out badly. It was a poor bid that does not allow partner to exercise any judgement.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#26 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-19, 22:08

It seems that the ones who chose 4C would have been the successful ones this time. Pard would go to 5 over 4S and subside. If we tried 5C, partner should probably bid 6C over 5S.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#27 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 04:35

Five Spades goes for 500 if partner has the wit to work out that we are not doubling just on high cards in the minors.

#28 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-September-20, 21:20

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-September-19, 22:08, said:

It seems that the ones who chose 4C would have been the successful ones this time. Pard would go to 5 over 4S and subside. If we tried 5C, partner should probably bid 6C over 5S.

You are kidding, right? That piece of cheese looks like one of the most obvious passes I have seen. You don't even have any second round controls for heaven's sake.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#29 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-20, 21:52

View Postthe hog, on 2012-September-20, 21:20, said:

You are kidding, right? That piece of cheese looks like one of the most obvious passes I have seen. You don't even have any second round controls for heaven's sake.

Not kidding at all. If the South hand is believed to be pretty much what it is to open 1D and jump to 4C, I would bid 5C. Looking at just the N/S hands, 5C is where we want to be. Unless partner leads a heart, 4S makes. And I believe granny has a chance to make 5C.

Anyway, the point was that the jump to 4C seems to work out better this time than the jump to 5C. North could visualize the same hand but the king of clubs replacing the duce and bid 6 if I blasted 5C.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#30 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-21, 02:59

View PostPhilKing, on 2012-September-20, 04:35, said:

Five Spades goes for 500 if partner has the wit to work out that we are not doubling just on high cards in the minors.

As I understand it you're planning this auction:
3 4 pass pass
5 5 pass pass
dbl
Are you expecting partner to lead a heart? I'd unimaginatively lead my doubleton in opener''s suit.

If we were Polish, that would be OK, because 8 would imply possession of the 9. Assuming we lead top from a doubleton, it would go 9-10-J-x, A-K-? To get our 500 now, we'd need to be on the same wavelength about suit-preference signals.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#31 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-21, 03:59

View Postgnasher, on 2012-September-21, 02:59, said:

As I understand it you're planning this auction:
3 4 pass pass
5 5 pass pass
dbl
Are you expecting partner to lead a heart? I'd unimaginatively lead my doubleton in opener''s suit.

If we were Polish, that would be OK, because 8 would imply possession of the 9. Assuming we lead top from a doubleton, it would go 9-10-J-x, A-K-? To get our 500 now, we'd need to be on the same wavelength about suit-preference signals.

That was my original plan, but you may have missed the post where I put one foot in the 4 camp, which may make a subtle difference. Then partner has a clear 5 over 4, but that means I can't double 5 on minor suit cards only, so a heart stands out, and will often be necessary to beat the contract.

And the subsequent defence on a diamond lead is not what I would call tough. The club position is known, so partner has a choice between signalling for the A, which he does not have, or the eight/singleton, which he does.

#32 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-21, 04:45

View PostPhilKing, on 2012-September-21, 03:59, said:

And the subsequent defence on a diamond lead is not what I would call tough. The club position is known, so partner has a choice between signalling for the A, which he does not have, or the eight/singleton, which he does.

Does he signal his 8 with a suit-preference 4, or with a discouraging 10? And how sure are you? If the contract is the same at the other table, you're risking 14 IMPs to gain 7. If they defend 5 at the other table, you're risking 15 to gain 2.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#33 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-21, 05:41

View Postgnasher, on 2012-September-21, 04:45, said:

Does he signal his 8 with a suit-preference 4, or with a discouraging 10? And how sure are you? If the contract is the same at the other table, you're risking 14 IMPs to gain 7. If they defend 5 at the other table, you're risking 15 to gain 2.

He plays the 4 SP. Attitude can't apply here.

One could argue that, since partner can't have the ace we can do even better - 4 shows the 8, 8 shows the 7 (so we can onderlead the 8) and the 10 denies a diamond entry.

Obviously, I would always punish partner by letting through the contract when he has played a careless signal. And since he made a careless lead, the percentages are not in my favour.

#34 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-21, 06:44

View PostPhilKing, on 2012-September-21, 05:41, said:

One could argue that, since partner can't have the ace we can do even better - 4 shows the 8, 8 shows the 7 (so we can onderlead the 8) and the 10 denies a diamond entry.

I think that only works if you've contrived to have North show club preference. Otherwise you may let 5x through when the clubs are 2-2 and declarer has 7.

#35 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-21, 07:23

View Postgnasher, on 2012-September-21, 06:44, said:

I think that only works if you've contrived to have North show club preference. Otherwise you may let 5x through when the clubs are 2-2 and declarer has 7.

Auction:

1d 1s p 2s
4c 4s 5c p
p 5s p p x

But on auctions where North may have two clubs, we can't signal for the seven without tearing our cards in half, so I am not actually planning to let it through.

#36 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-22, 02:49

4!C forcing is my bid. You need as little as !C Kxx to make 6, but you still need some support from partner.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users