BBO Discussion Forums: Good hand reading exercise - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good hand reading exercise Hand is open book after lead.

#1 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-November-21, 11:47

Fourth to speak, all non you hold

Scoring: IMPs

The bidding goes

1~P~1~P
2~2~3~3 (Who thinks 4 is better?)
P~P~4~All p

Playing 2/4 leads your p tables the Diamond 6 and dummy tables

Scoring: IMPs

You play the Ace and declarer drops the King.

Some questions you should be able to answer

i) What is partners exact distribution?
ii) Who has the King of Hearts?
iii) How are the Spade honours divided?

Could the more expert members please refrain from answering. If you want, PM me.

Have fun.

#2 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-23, 09:22

OK. This is open for anyone to answer. Even those who are usually found in the advanced/expert forum :)

#3 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2004-November-23, 09:49

Pard....Declarer

Based on the HCP, I estimate pard has around 7,8 HCP (maybe 9).

If he had both Spade honors he may have lead one, so I assume they are split.
He's shown the Q, and the probable Spade A or K, lets call it 5-6HCP.
If its 5 there might be room for the K, for a total of 8HCP.

Declarer has a probably Spade honor, KQ, K, for 11-12, thats probably about it, (unless he has the Q, which would be odd as what would pard have.)

Return the 5.

(PS - How do I insert tabs, rather than using ... for spacing)

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-November-23, 10:07

Deanrover, on Nov 21 2004, 01:47 PM, said:

Partner is 3-2-6-2

Fourth best lead promises an honor, so declarer can not afford diamond king from Kx. In addition, to bid 2di in sandwich position without six diamond when missing AKJ9 is just too crazy. Partner has at least 2 hearts or declearer has five and would open a heart. Partner has at least 3 spades, or declearer would have four card support and would have raised. Partner has 2 clubs, because with one, WEST's club legnth (6) would have him bid 4 himself over our 3 raise.

ii) Who has the King of Hearts?

You want me to say my partner. I will not say that. However, I will say that partner has two of the following three major suit honors AK, K.

The reason why is this. Partner with a horrible diamond suit, would have discounted any club honors, and partner is marked with at most 7 to 9 hcp. We know about the diamond Q. Any one of the other honors would not be enough, and any three and west would not have an opening hand.

iii) How are the Spade honours divided?

Dean wants us to say that with spade AK partner would lead one at trick one. This is not true, given the spade bid behind him and our raise to 3. Partner might lead spade A from AK, but it is not assured. But the defense is clear anyway. Although we are not sure partner has the heart king, we lead a low heart here to his presumed Kx of hearts. He wins the king, returns the suit, and we give him his heart ruff. Then we sit back and wait for his spade trick for down one (1S, 2H, 1hruff, and the diamond Ace).

Ben
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-November-23, 10:12

ArcLight, on Nov 23 2004, 11:49 AM, said:

(PS - How do I insert tabs, rather than using ... for spacing)

There are no tabs.. you can do this two ways.. one is hide the dots you are using with the hidden button above, here i will hide a bunch of dots
1NT
Spoiler

The second (and I think better) way is to use nonbreaking space. This is code where you have to enter the following six characters to make one space....

& # 1 6 0 ;

To allow you to see the six characters, I put a space between each. To make a non-break space, you need all six with no spaces... so the above auction could become

1NT          2

To see the difference, take your mouse and highlight the entire post.. you will then see the dots in the first auction, but nothing in the second.

ben
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-23, 10:24

[quote name='inquiry' date='Nov 23 2004, 04:07 PM'] [quote name='Deanrover' date='Nov 21 2004, 01:47 PM'] i) What is partners exact distribution? [/QUOTE]
Partner is 3-2-6-2

[/QUOTE] [/quote]
How so? This would mean declarer rebid a 4card suit.

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-November-23, 10:37

Partner is 3-2-6-2

How so? This would mean declarer rebid a 4card suit.

Whoops.. i thought I had 3 clubs.. srcolling up and down to see the two hands is a a pain, I forgot what I held (any excuse for stupidity is better than none.. sheepish grin....

Let's put the hands together... for us old guys with short memories.
Dealer: ?????
Vul: ????
Scoring: Unknown
QJ32
QJ4
AT53
AT86
AJ93
J96

Ok, partner has 1... so he is 4-2-6-1.... So why not club void? Same LOTT arguement as before. Why not heart singleton (WEst would have five hearts and would have opened one), why not three hearts? (West would have four spades and would have raised).

Still switch to small heart at trick two... :-)

Ben
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-23, 11:50

I think the distribution is much clearer than you all realise.

Declarer clearly had one diamond, and partner six.

First clue: Partner overcalled two diamonds, but did not Weak Jump shift first up. Why would he do this? Probably because he had a four card major.

Similar situation. Bidding goes: P~1~p~1~2 it is more likely than usual that the two Hearts bidding has 4 s, which helps explain his initial pass.

What 4 card major could it be? If he doesn't have 4 then declarer does, but declarer would have support his partner with a 4 bagger, so we rule that out.

So partner seems to be 4w6x
and declarer is 3y1z

Many people require a 6 card suit to rebid a minor which would give declarer 3316. If he had a 5 cards suit then he would be 3415 in which case he might have supported Spades. So 3316 is most likely, with 3415 an outside possibility.

As for the honour distribution. Partner would not overcall 2ds on just QTxxxx. Furthermore, we know that he did not bid 2d first up because of his 4 card Spade suit, well if his suit was headed by the ten he would be less inclined to worry about this, so he must have at least one spade honour. Could he have both? Unlikely. For one, he may well have led from AKxx. Furthermore, if he did have AKxx then this leaves declarer with

xxx
Kxx
K
KQ8xxx

Which is a pass for most people. Give declarer

AKx
xxx
K
KQ8xxx

and he likely rebids 2 bypassing his 6 card suit. So partner has

Hxxx (H is A or K)
?xx
QTxxxx
Void

For his 2D bid he surely must have the Heart K, completing the picture of the hand.

#9 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-November-23, 12:11

Deanrover, on Nov 23 2004, 01:50 PM, said:

I think the distribution is much clearer than you all realise.

Declarer clearly had one diamond, and partner six.

First clue: Partner overcalled two diamonds, but did not Weak Jump shift first up. Why would he do this? Probably because he had a four card major.

Similar situation. Bidding goes: P~1~p~1~2 it is more likely than usual that the two Hearts bidding has 4 s, which helps explain his initial pass.

What 4 card major could it be? If he doesn't have 4 then declarer does, but declarer would have support his partner with a 4 bagger, so we rule that out.

So partner seems to be 4w6x
and declarer is              3y1z

Many people require a 6 card suit to rebid a minor which would give declarer 3316. If he had a 5 cards suit then he would be 3415 in which case he might have supported Spades. So 3316 is most likely, with 3415 an outside possibility.

As for the honour distribution. Partner would not overcall 2ds on just QTxxxx. Furthermore, we know that he did not bid 2d first up because of his 4 card Spade suit, well if his suit was headed by the ten he would be less inclined to worry about this, so he must have at least one spade honour. Could he have both? Unlikely. For one, he may well have led from AKxx. Furthermore, if he did have AKxx then this leaves declarer with

xxx
Kxx
K
KQ8xxx

Which is a pass for most people. Give declarer

AKx
xxx
K
KQ8xxx

and he likely rebids 2 bypassing his 6 card suit.  So partner has

Hxxx (H is A or K)
?xx
QTxxxx
Void

For his 2D bid he surely must have the Heart K, completing the picture of the hand.

Dean,

I totally disagree with your premise on no weak two jump overcall... so a four card major. First, partners suit is QTxxxx not what weak two are made of. Second, his partner (us, me and you, and those solving puzzle) is a passed hand. If you are going to preempt, just do so, don't worry about the side four card major.

The second example.. P-1C-p-1S-2H the implication about spades is a little clearer. Since partner was not a passed hand at the first bid...

Likewise I disagree with your view that WEST has six clubs becasue "he would raise with three card support to high honor" and stiff diamond. I would, and in fact I argue for this kind of raise all over the place. But the world, sadly, is not as enlightened. So, EAST is only marked with 5 clubs for sure. The failure to bid 4 himself over your three diamonds, to me, is a clear indication he has only five.

As an aside. If declearer is 3-3-1-6, he makes all day, as we get 1D, 1H, 1S. Who the heck wants to play for that hand? This is a ZERO defense hand. A low heart back beats it when parnter has Kx of hearts and stiff club, nothiing beats the contract when declearer has six clubs and three-three is spade. Kit Woolsey (search old bridge worlds for his article on Zero defense) would say anything but low heart at trick two is a defensive blunder. Heads you win, tails you break even.

ben
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users